Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Suing my DME for broken chair [long rant] w/ pictures

I think it is very wrong what the DME providers do to those that Need help. I think it is time to stand up as a community and hold them accountable for the wrongs they have done.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac85 View Post
    Ughh i'm puzzled now, don't know if i should go to peoples court or not... definitelly don't want a tv interview
    It's not what we want to do Mac, that counts; it's what we need to do that matters.
    Go to the papers or tv channels first, if no response, go to court if what you want is over 3500.00. If it's under go on tv court; or not, your choice

As a former member of SAG and ACTRA, I'm surprized there's no residual for going on any tv production.

So I get to court and my dmes lawyer is there and she says - we have the chair fixed and ready to be delivered to your house today at no charge, would you like to have it or do you want to continue the case? I said continue with a big smile on my face, she was pissed off haha. I'll have a rescheduled case soon
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Way to go Mac. That chair will never be the same with things bent, drilled out or lost. I'm sure the lawyer thought that a quad should be glad to get what they get.

Plus one for we who are continually screwed over by bad DME's and lawyers. This made my day. I'm sure they'll be calling you for an out of court settlement. Take 'em to cleaners like they did you. You're time without the chair should be paid for also if they try to settle.

Your chair story reminded me, for some reason, of the old ironworkers I met back in the day. They told me they always ordered three of everything; one to break, one to lose and one to put in their lunchbox.

Nice! Keep it up, its not just about the money its the principle of everything. I sued an ex landlord before. I had worked under him as a manager, then quit when I realized the shady illegal crap wouldn't stop, and then he started pulling the shady illegal crap with me before I was able to find a new place to live. Then they started all sorts of offers to get me to drop the case, and to incriminate an innocent tenant. When desperate they even tried blackmail. Nope, I wanted them to realize there ARE consequences to your actions.. I won in court and then turned over all my documentation and photos to various applicable departments of city government. I wanted them to either clean up their act (unlikely, but would be acceptable) or not be allowed to rent to and abuse tenants.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac85 View Post
    So I get to court and my dmes lawyer is there and she says - we have the chair fixed and ready to be delivered to your house today at no charge, would you like to have it or do you want to continue the case? I said continue with a big smile on my face, she was pissed off haha. I'll have a rescheduled case soon
    Wow, I didn't think anybody would have the guts to do this. Way to go. I hate how smug the DMEs are and how they act like they are doing some kind of generous favor when they finally do the work after you've either been begging pleading or they have been forced to do it. I think she must have thought there was no way you would refuse her offer.

I don't know what your goal is in the suit but if you want to cause them enough pain so that they would want to change their ways, there is a trick a friend taught me. He would always contact their lawyer. Their lawyer charges for every minute he/she works and when their lawyer speak to the company with their message, it costs them. It can add up to a lot. Companies get really flexible about their position pretty quickly as this happens. Good luck with whatever happens and I am really inspired by you taking a stand. I didn't know anybody could really do it, you're changing my mind :-)

Well done Mac85!

The Chicago clan is proud.

Whenever you do get it fixed just put two new seat rails on it and throw away those adjustable leg hangers, they are junk anyway. Get the fixed ones. Then a new controller and you should be good. Its hard to believe they would try to butcher up a chair like that. Incompetent DME with an idiot mechanic. Its all to common.
    Life's perceived journey in this PMR is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy **** what a VR ride!"
    Pete C6/'97