Thread: Reasonable accomodation?

Reasonable accomodation?

Management recently redid the bathroom where I live, which includes different grab bars near the toilet. The problem for me is that the bars are now much higher, but the height still fits within the ada requirements. It measures 34" exactly from the floor. It is making my transfers quite a bit more difficult because I am not getting as much leverage to lift myself up. I think that this is because I am short in stature. So I was wondering would it still be considered a reasonble accomodation to lower the bar a couple of inches below the Ada guidelines, or do I have to keep it the way it is because it fits within the required Ada requirements?

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    ADA requirements are often far from what's ideal for a wheelchair user, do what works for you.

Since it is where you live, ie your home and not a public restroom, I would ask if the landlord would lower the bar. If they say no you may have to pay for the lowering yourself. ADA, I believe (haven't kept up on this section much), only says that a landlord has to LET you make a home accessable. I don't remember anything about his being required to do the alterations at his expense, in a rental unit.

Someone else may have something more up-to-date if this has been changed.
    Last edited by Susqu; 01-05-2012 at 03:55 PM. Reason: clarification of thoughts

I had to sign a piece of paper saying I would not ask for an access accomodations in my apartment. I was moving from an accessible unit in my building that was lousy (bad neighbor) to a better standard apartment. They have let me know though that I can make changes if I pay for them. I'm pretty handy but I don't have the money. I wish I could make my kitchen accessible. It's too much to dream that I'll have an accessible bathroom, at least not while living here. One day though ..

Rather than refer to it as an accommodation request just ask informally if they could help you out by installing a lower bar. Could perhaps the higher one still stay w/o impeding transfers. Keep the request as low level as possible - if a maintenance person did the job maybe approach them directly. If you make the request too formal they may just respond that they have provided a bar that meets ADA standards.

Legally speaking, lowering a bar that was installed specifically to make your home accessible isn't an unreasonable request.

I'd think the only issue that would come up would be who the cost goes to or why it wasn't addressed before the bars were installed.

Thanks everyone. I asked management, and they said that I can have the alterations. I agreed to sign a paper stating that I was "aware" that the bars would be moved from an ada accepted location to a lower non ada position. They made the aleteration today.