Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IC alternative

Question IC alternative

Hi nurse and other care cure members,

I am tired of being done upon me IC by my attendant.I am really frustrated that I am still dependent on some one else for this daily activity.

Yesterday I tried it by myself but could not save intermittent catheter from being infected from the surroundings.It in turn infected my bladder and I got UTI.

I want to know, is there some sort of a machine such as tense, which I can apply on my body muscles,which control bladder activity, and stimulate those muscles so that my bladder get empties quickly at once.?

In this way I ll not need to do IC.

Sci nurse please reply to my query

Maybe the proper equipment would make it easier for your to self cath. I don't know how available these catheters are in your part of the world, but here is an "EZ Gripper catheter system that could be helpful to you:

Hopefully other members who are your level of quadriplegia will respond with their tips and methods.

All the best,
    GJ

Get a suprapubic catheter.

that brand in the video is MTG, and they are out of georgia, u.s.a
    They work well though do take practice. they will send you several free samples to try also.
    the catheter is protected, and remains sterile if use correctly.

I have used the girl ones by this company, and if it were not for the lube they use I would be getting my caths from them, as I have found them to be good to work with.

I dont think Fahad283 would be able to get them though, so I am hoping that other people with hand issues will advise.

it is great that you want to do this for yourself, but don't give up after only one try.

Another option would be a supra pubic catheter. that is an opening in the abdomen by a simple surgery. it can be reversed easily too. it can be emptied easily even by my friend who has very poor hand use, the catheter needs replacing every 2-4 weeks. this empties into a belly bag, and then you empty the bag.

what trouble are you having? are you dropping them?

Hello,

I am not aware of any type of machine that can empty your bladder immediately. I agree that a suprapubic catheter as described above may be easier for you to manipulate with your hands. Also trying the easy gripper may help as well.

AAD

supra pubic

Thanks all of you for your replies

Is it possible if I do not keep the supra pubic catheter all the time in my abdomen,instead I use it like IC.
    I mean I ll insert supra pubic only when I need to empty my bladder.Rest of the time it will not be in use?

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Hello,

I am not aware of any type of machine that can empty your bladder immediately. I agree that a suprapubic catheter as described above may be easier for you to manipulate with your hands. Also trying the easy gripper may help as well.

AAD
    I actually found something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lVnqtpnmmE

Pressure sore heaven with that thing. Waiting for Dr Silver.

A mitro may be a better choice if you'd like to cath through your abdomen.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by fahad283 View Post
    Thanks all of you for your replies

Is it possible if I do not keep the supra pubic catheter all the time in my abdomen,instead I use it like IC.
    I mean I ll insert supra pubic only when I need to empty my bladder.Rest of the time it will not be in use?
    the hole would close up very quickly if no catheter were in it. in minutes, that is why the supra pubic catheter is so easily reversible, but it would take another surgery to re do it, so you don't want it to close at all.

have you tried a condom catheter? this also goes to a leg bag or a night bag, but may be easier for you to use.

if you want no bag, it is a complicated surgery that is more invasive, and has a longer recovery time, and is not reversible. again people here seem to be happy with theirs once things are healed up. this is called mitrofanoff as lynnifer mentioned. I think I would consider this for myself when I can no longer IC without leaking. I'm not completely decided.

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    have you tried a condom catheter? this also goes to a leg bag or a night bag, but may be easier for you to use. .
    I have been using condom catheters with leg bags for last several years in between each ICs...I have no problem in it...
    What I am concerned about is to find an easy way to empty my bladder..being a quad with limited hand function ,I do not find IC to be an easy solution...Even if I manage to do it,I dont think I will ever be able to do it in a sterile way..

I wanna ask from those who IC
    please tell me do u use urine bags in between each IC time...I mean do u have incontinence problem?If yes,how often ? I guess all of u must be using u-bags during sleep, for safety...