Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with Handrim and Spinergy Rim...

Problem with Handrim and Spinergy Rim...

I received my Quickie All Court with Spinergy rims but I can't change the position of the handrim so it's closer the rim. I called SportAid and they told me to bend the tabs so the handrim fits and then re-drill the holes so they match with the holes in the handrim.

Has anyone experienced this?
    Is there an easier way?

Thanks for your help.
    Never Give Up!

this sounds so jerry rigged. I would be asking for hand rims that match with the pre drilled holes in the spinergy rims. good luck!

Were there two position holes on the h/rims? If not buy another set of rims with the two position holes or call whomever you bought the chair from and get them to change it. Handrims are fairly cheap. If you move it to the inner position, you may have to cut the excess tab off.

Sounds like Sportaid is going the way of most wheelchair companies; they got so big they forget about customer service. I suggest strongly you let them know that you will be letting everyone here know exactually what their response is. Quickie lost their credibility with me years and years ago. The Allcourt would be the only chair I would consider from them and it they are putting on rims with only one hole position, I doubt I would even reccomend it anymore. Pisses me off bigtime.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 01-03-2012 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAbleChef View Post
    I received my Quickie All Court with Spinergy rims but I can't change the position of the handrim so it's closer the rim. I called SportAid and they told me to bend the tabs so the handrim fits and then re-drill the holes so they match with the holes in the handrim.

Has anyone experienced this?
    Is there an easier way?

Thanks for your help.
    Went through the same thing. I used a Dremel tool with a tungsen carbide bit (you could use something else) to hog out some material, about 1.5mm. I did each tab and then moved the rim further out. It worked great. I guess you could use a small file instead though I think it would take forever. It was a simple fix though. More than a year and all is perfect :-)

I just got off the phone with Spinergy. They told me that they don't make handrims, so the dimensions set by the manufacturer. I'm surprised no one has made a handrim for Spinergy wheels exclusively that actually fit. The guy at Spinergy all told me to bend the tabs and drilling the holes may be needed due to the tabs being bent.

Well...time to pull out the pliers!!
    Never Give Up!

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    Went through the same thing. I used a Dremel tool with a tungsen carbide bit (you could use something else) to hog out some material, about 1.5mm. I did each tab and then moved the rim further out. It worked great. I guess you could use a small file instead though I think it would take forever. It was a simple fix though. More than a year and all is perfect :-)
    Is it necessary to cut the tab after I've moved it?
    Never Give Up!

Depends if it interferes with your wheeling Able. I cut mine off cause they stick out the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAbleChef View Post
    Is it necessary to cut the tab after I've moved it?
    I didn't need to cut the length of the tab. I only made the attachment holes wider so I could move the pushring out further. It took some time but not that long and I kept measuring as I went to make sure I hogged out all the holes the same.

To bend the tabs I used some channel-lock pliers (not locking pliers but the kind that fit into different grooves so you can change the opening size). A few gentle pulls, just enough to get the tabs to barely fit in. Everything bolted together fine. Good luck :-)

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    I didn't need to cut the length of the tab. I only made the attachment holes wider so I could move the pushring out further. It took some time but not that long and I kept measuring as I went to make sure I hogged out all the holes the same.

To bend the tabs I used some channel-lock pliers (not locking pliers but the kind that fit into different grooves so you can change the opening size). A few gentle pulls, just enough to get the tabs to barely fit in. Everything bolted together fine. Good luck :-)
    Did you have to bend the tabs in 2 places? I noticed that when I tried to force the handrim onto the rim, the tabs were sticking up at about 20 degrees.
    Do you have a picture of your handrim?

Thanks for your help.
    Never Give Up!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Depends if it interferes with your wheeling Able. I cut mine off cause they stick out the other side.
    I'm not sure if the chair I was using before had tabs sticking out the side. I'll cut them off anyway to avoid the hassle of having to take the handrim off again.

Thanks!
    Never Give Up!