Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: paralyzed bride seeks to "relearn" to walk

paralyzed bride seeks to "relearn" to walk

you know, this type of media reporting is strange. they make it sound like all we have to do is relearn.

http://news.yahoo.com/paralyzed-caro...144836646.html

I really like this comment under the article "Abba Father, Bless this child of yours with the ability to walk again. Your Son Jesus took on her infirmity and became sin so that she might become the righteousness of God. You love her more than life itself. Thank You that she has already been healed and will have a baby. Thank You for letting her know and to help her to receive all of this, in Jesus name, Amen."

A lot of people think just prayer and hard work will make anything happen, unfortunately not really true in real life.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

This article doesn't really have any point of view at all. It's just filler. Perhaps I'm being overly cynical (though you'd have some serious convincing to do to persuade me otherwise), if she wasn't blonde, thin and attractive this wouldn't have merited any "news" coverage whatsoever. It's the sort of story that's assigned to a freelance writer (here's her FB page) who's just starting out trying to cobble together something of a resume and has discovered that wheelchair/paralysis = something to write about.
    Last edited by stephen212; 01-03-2012 at 01:53 AM.

Isn't she a member here? I swear I've read that story before (pushed into a pool at the bachelorette party.)
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

From the comments, I'm saddened by the obtuse thinking that 'determination beats all.' People need to know the seriousness and finality of a spinal cord injury.

Wish the spinal cord and brain injury was covered more in school programs.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

She's a member here named ECUrach85. LOL, how does a young
    woman's presence slip through all the pervs on this forum?

i really didn't post this about her, but about the media. and what's this nonsense about low bp meds...my bp is 90/60. nobody gave me meds to up bp, does this happen?? i mean, if my bp is upped, i'm in trouble. as far as the passing out thing, if this reporter had looked into it, that's normal in new injuries.

and yes, the media has been all over this story, but they just repeating the same crap.
    Last edited by cass; 01-03-2012 at 03:22 AM.

It was a good article but don't think I saId anything about relearning how to walk. I explained to the reporter complete and incomplete injuries and that I had hope to walk again with science and intense rehab. Weight bearing exercises are healthy either way. I'm just as sick as y'all are of people telling me I can pray my way out of the chair or just try reeeaaaalllyy hard. It's annoying. But just be happy there is coverage about SCI, project walk, and an awesome org called walking with Anthony. I just wish all those people praying for me would vote for research.

Don't worry ECU, everyone knows the media does this nearly every time they deal w sci. Sounds like the program did you a world of good regarding building strength and that staff there would love to see you get more time. Any chance you will be able to return soon or perhaps get some similar program for yourself back at home.

Thanks ancientgimp! I'm hoping to go back there this year