Thread: Health Insurance Expert

Health Insurance Expert

Does anybody know who/where should I ask to have suggestion about health insurance?
    I actually paying a huge amount, almost $2000/month, for an Oxford United policy for me and my family, and I have almost no benefits...I'm sure I can pay much less for a better solution.
    Can anybody help?
    -----------------------------------------
    My new life started about five years ago.
    C4-5 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by gigio View Post
    Does anybody know who/where should I ask to have suggestion about health insurance?
    I actually paying a huge amount, almost $2000/month, for an Oxford United policy for me and my family, and I have almost no benefits...I'm sure I can pay much less for a better solution.
    Can anybody help?
    If you can go back to work or have your wife (assuming you are married) go back to work and get on a group policy through yours/hers employer.

Quote Originally Posted by Patton57 View Post
    If you can go back to work or have your wife (assuming you are married) go back to work and get on a group policy through yours/hers employer.
    that is what i do already...nothing cheaper?
    C4-5 incomplete

good luck, mine by myself was 2k back 12 years ago, hope you have better luck than i did.....thank goodness for the VA and medicare now.........

If you are on COBRA then that amount seems about right but if you are an active employee in a group health insurance plan then $2K/month seems extremely high unless your employer doesn't subsidize your premium at all.

If you are on COBRA then that amount seems about right but if you are an active employee in a group health insurance plan then $2K/month seems extremely high unless your employer doesn't subsidize your premium at all.
    I'm my own employer and my group is just me and my wife as my caregiver, (she actually does not work but I made her in order to e a group)
    I was really hope to find something a lot cheaper. I can't give away about 1/3 of what I make in insurance....
    C4-5 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by gigio View Post
    I'm my own employer and my group is just me and my wife as my caregiver, (she actually does not work but I made her in order to e a group)
    I was really hope to find something a lot cheaper. I can't give away about 1/3 of what I make in insurance....
    Okay, that makes more sense now. Health insurers are much more careful now than they used to be about small businesses that are set up just to get cheaper health insurance (not that this describes you). This is probably why your policy is priced more like an individual policy than a group one.

Are you in a line of work where you can join an association, trade group or partner with other businesses like your own? If so, then sometimes you can get cheaper insurance because you can join with others to pool your risk and hopefully get more of a group rate.

For example, if you were an independent CPA you might be able to join with other independent CPAs through a local association of CPAs and get a group plan.

Okay, that makes more sense now. Health insurers are much more careful now than they used to be about small businesses that are set up just to get cheaper health insurance (not that this describes you). This is probably why your policy is priced more like an individual policy than a group one.

Are you in a line of work where you can join an association, trade group or partner with other businesses like your own? If so, then sometimes you can get cheaper insurance because you can join with others to pool your risk and hopefully get more of a group rate.

For example, if you were an independent CPA you might be able to join with other independent CPAs through a local association of CPAs and get a group plan.
    Thanks. I will look into that but I don't think there are any association I can join.
    C4-5 incomplete

can you start your own? look for others who do what you do and suggest the possible start of an association? all associations,cooperatives, and groups start somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    can you start your own? look for others who do what you do and suggest the possible start of an association? all associations,cooperatives, and groups start somewhere.
    Thank you for the suggestion Jody, but i dont think it will work.
    Anybody has anything else to say about this?
    How can i become medicare or medicaid?
    C4-5 incomplete