Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eye to Replace Mouse?

Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Looks cool. I wonder how long it will be till keyboards and mice are only used by people like me? I already use voice extensively on my phone to compose texts and emails, I imagine in a couple years voice will be used for most applications like email or filling out forms. I don't see it every replacing the keyboard for doing stuff like:

Code:
      if(local($cl, $user, $time) = /^r(\d+) \| (\w+) \| (.+$)/) {
    but other than for doing stuff like coding, I think in a couple years the eye tracking you posted and voice recognition will do away with mouse and keyboard all together.

Seen it and tried it. "Eye gaze" was the one I tried. Loved it!!! Can't wait until it comes out to the masses.

wait a minute - I have moderate finger tremors, moderate dysarthria, and minor nystagmus. So using keyboard, mouse, voice recognition, and eye control are all problematic - wait another minute - maybe that's why Social Security considers me unemployable and not just 'disabled.'

These adaptable technologies must be aimed at keeping people employable . . .
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Windows 7 speech recognition should be fine for you because it will adopt to all of the quirks you listed. It's a very good speech recognition program.

Quote Originally Posted by radio_buddha View Post
    Windows 7 speech recognition should be fine for you because it will adopt to all of the quirks you listed. It's a very good speech recognition program.
    Good to know. I have Win7HP64, so do I need just a mic?
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    Good to know. I have Win7HP64, so do I need just a mic?
    Yes. Do this:

-> Click the Start button
    ->Click Control Panel
    -> Click Ease of Access
    -> Click Speech Recognition
    ->Click Take Speech Tutorial

I cant use speech rec to easily
    I like my trusty ol keyboards and track ball or mice works for me
    I will like to get the Eye tracker when it comes out but for my programming and stuff I have to not change my ol style routines

I tried an EyeGaze system once, and though cursor movement was incredibly easy it could quickly cause eyestrain if you weren't careful. If you blinked or looked away for a second, you'd have to recalibrate again. The process of recalibration probably took all of 15 seconds, but got very, very tedious once you had to go through it for each and every blink. I sure hope these newer models don't have that problem, but I doubt an able-bodied reviewer would stick with it long enough to encounter that.

Also, I'd really like to be able to issue a click command by blinking like Jeannie

You need a good microphone. I spent $100 on my shure sm58, blue icicle (adapts stage microphones to computers), and desktop boom stand.