Thread: Can you convert a desktop printer into a wireless printer?

Can you convert a desktop printer into a wireless printer?

Is it possible to attach some type of device to the USB outlet on my desktop printer to make it a wireless printer? I have a Netgear N600 Dual Band Router attached to my computer and a Netgear Powerline AV 500 adapter attached to the televsion set. Is there a way to use my Netgear set-up to make my printer wireless. The printer does not have an ethernet port.

What printer do you have?

Quick look on google and I see the router has a usb port. I can use my port on an asus router to print. It works, but gives lots of trouble. I usually have to let windows troubleshoot the problem.

I have an HP deskjet 1000 [has a USB port] and I additionally have an old HP722c [has a parallel port]. I found some information on TRENDnet.com on wireless print servers, but I am not sure if this is the appropriate fix.

You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

That's what I was thinking, but reading Dell's information it seems that that particular print server only works with Dell printers.

I was thinking more along these lines, however when I look at the customer reviews on amazon.com or on newegg.com they make me wonder if it is worth the money ad time. I am a technophobe with limited computer roblem solving ideas.

http://www.trendnet.com/products/pro...EW-P11G&cat=46

you can connect it to your router with the right hardware. Its cheaper to get a cheap one on amazon that has a wireless function built in in most situations.

Quote Originally Posted by jenjen138 View Post
    you can connect it to your router with the right hardware. Its cheaper to get a cheap one on amazon that has a wireless function built in in most situations.
    I have thought about this, however I have two high volume blank ink cartridges for each printer. I have limited desk space and as a C5-c6 quad moving and hooking-up the printers is quite a challnge for me.

A lot of wireless access points have USB ports on them to connect USB printers.

A new printer that has wireless built in is not much more expensive, and will be supported by the manufacturer.

In other words, generally I would recommend buying a new printer with built-in wireless rather than dealing with the time and frustration of cobbling something together, and still be disappointed with the results in the end.
    Don't anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Without being familiar with your router I do not know for sure, check the specs. As long as it is designed to do so then plugging a printer into the USB port of a router that supports it is a simple operation. However based upon your own statement that you are a technophobe, I would recommend either getting a newer printer that is designed specifically to work over a wifi network independently from a router port or have someone set it up for you that knows what they are doing. If you can afford it of course. I just got a new wireless printer when I bought my new iMac because they had a special deal for printer mac combo, so printer cost me less than $100.00. I got a Cnon Pixma MX882. This printer is awesome!!! It prints fast, Photo realistic quality printing, built in fax and copier too. It also has a built in card read for printing directly from your camera's memory card. The feature this printer has that for me makes it much better than the other printers that i have owned is that it also has an automatic document feeder, and it can handle I believe up to 50 pages. If you ever make multiple pages or fax multipage documents, then this feature far and away is truly awesome. It's like the big expensive all in one machine like a work without the XEROX name and high price. I can't stress enough just how much of a time saver this can be if you ever do multipage documents. It is even smart enough to do two sided documents either 2-2, 1-1, 2-1, 1-2.