Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ready for sauerkraut and pork day?

My Grandpa was born in 1898 amd lived to be 98. The last 2 years were in a nursing home and a couple before that assisted living, but he was still tarring his roof in the hot sun when he was 90. (His horrified neighbors called my dad)
    He lost his farm in SD during the depression and came to MN and worked for a large farming family for many years and was treated like family.
    As long as I could remember he ate fried potatoes, 2 eggs, toast all fried in bacon grease along with more bacon. He could peel a potato and not have any white of the potato on the peel and was quite critical of how others peeled their potatoes.
    I was only a year old when my Gramma died. They had adopted an ophaned niece and he raised her to be my favorite Aunt.
    Sorry for my rambling story, but is what the thought of bacon grease brought up.
    One day while in assisted living he complained to my dad they would not give him any bacon. Dad found out it was because he was put on a low soduim diet.
    My dad said he is 95 years old-let him have as much bacon as he wants.
    Last edited by LindaT; 01-01-2012 at 07:40 PM. Reason: spelling like Dan Quayle

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    One day while in assisted living he complained to my dad they would not give him any bacon. Dad found out it was because he was put on a low soduim diet.
    My dad said he is 95 years old-let him have as much bacon as he wants.

Uh ..... duh uh ! Sometimes common sense gets checked at the door .... brother !

I really enjoy the way a shared memory stirs up people's thoughts ..... I love to read about how similar we all are sometimes !! I wish I had asked my Bapchia more questions !!

Sorry Sci55 didn't mean to highjack your thread

Obie
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Quote Originally Posted by Obieone View Post
    Uh ..... duh uh ! Sometimes common sense gets checked at the door .... brother !

I really enjoy the way a shared memory stirs up people's thoughts ..... I love to read about how similar we all are sometimes !! I wish I had asked my Bapchia more questions !!

Sorry Sci55 didn't mean to highjack your thread

Obie
    That's okay Obie. My grand father fed a community of 15 families during the depression. He kept them in potatoes and cabbage they made into sauerkraut to survive the winters. He delivered baskets and boxes of veggies to all in need along his milk route with a horse and wagon. He gave it to them free. He fled what is now Slovakia and knew what poverty was and how to deal with it. The stories of his kindness are still remembered by the by the oldtimers in the area.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

SCI 55, you could appreciate today's meal than Pork Shoulder, kraut, and dumplings. The house was ready to explode, and there's still plenty left over to fry. My last name should leave no question of ethnicity.

Heh. Us too, Al. Did you have carp for Christmas?

No Way! Don't eat the profits!!! What do we need to do, start a Czech SCI site? There seem to be enough of us here.

Yay fermented cabbage! I thought it might have been a Pa dutch thing, and I feel less weird now that I'm not the only one that loves the stuff. My mom made it once.
    Doin' that crip thing since 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by Cali2 View Post
    Yay fermented cabbage! I thought it might have been a Pa dutch thing, and I feel less weird now that I'm not the only one that loves the stuff. My mom made it once.
    Yeah? And how about sautéed red cabbage, with raisins and apple?

Quote Originally Posted by alhavel View Post
    No Way! Don't eat the profits!!! What do we need to do, start a Czech SCI site? There seem to be enough of us here.
    No carp here. Only klobasa and nut roll (kolachy?) this year.

http://thegingerbreadgirl.blogspot.c...-nut-roll.html
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by alhavel View Post
    About ten years ago we collectively decided to abolish the carp in favour of schnitzel and potato salad. And cookies of course. Mountains of cookies.

We usually do the pork, dumplings, and sauerkraut around Easter. I remember stomping the homemade stuff as a kid.