Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ready for sauerkraut and pork day?

Ready for sauerkraut and pork day?

Can't wait to start cooking. Thawing the rack of applewood smoked pork chops my brother smoked and brought down in October. Fantastic with the kraut.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Sounds yummy! I loved smoked meats and cheeses. Do you make your own homemade sauerkraut? If so, I would love the recipe.

Happy New Years.

Sounds wonderful, I think I can smell the firewood all the way to Ohio. Enjoy.
    JeAnNE L1Burst Fracture inc. 11/5/10

Live Well--Laugh often

NL will start the pork loin roast and sauerkraut a little later on today, but my mouth is already watering.

All the best of the New Year (2012)
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by peegy p View Post
    Sounds yummy! I loved smoked meats and cheeses. Do you make your own homemade sauerkraut? If so, I would love the recipe.

Happy New Years.
    No, we do not make the kraut. However, when I was a kid my parents would make a 20 gallon crock full every fall. A deli near here sells barrel kraut and that is the best we can do
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

My Bapchia's perfume was the scent of sauerkraut I swear to gawd - she made perogies with it !!There was always a crock full of kraut somewhere in her wee little house along with a can of bacon grease right next to the stove.

I miss my Granny ..... enjoy the eats 55 !!

Obie
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

My mouth waters at the thought of kraut......Hubby hates it. I'll make it for my son and Mom later this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Obieone View Post
    My Bapchia's perfume was the scent of sauerkraut I swear to gawd - she made perogies with it !!There was always a crock full of kraut somewhere in her wee little house along with a can of bacon grease right next to the stove.

I miss my Granny ..... enjoy the eats 55 !!

Obie

Perogies, yum. I like the potatoe and cheese perogies with sauted onions.

Bacon grease cans, I grew up with those too. I set one up a few years back. One day I grabbed the can to use it for a dish I wanted to make and found that ants had crawled into the can. That was the end of that can. I may start a new bacon grease can soon as I have begun to saute the dark green leafy vegetables [kale, red chard, turnip greens, collard greens]. Hmm, definitely food for thought...

Heck no, it's hoppin' John here!

Quote Originally Posted by peegy p View Post
    Perogies, yum. I like the potatoe and cheese perogies with sauted onions.

Bacon grease cans, I grew up with those too. I set one up a few years back. One day I grabbed the can to use it for a dish I wanted to make and found that ants had crawled into the can. That was the end of that can. I may start a new bacon grease can soon as I have begun to saute the dark green leafy vegetables [kale, red chard, turnip greens, collard greens]. Hmm, definitely food for thought...
    Our mothers and grandmothers and those before them (and a lumber camp cook I knew) all kept bacon grease jars beside the range top, but they used so much of it that it didn't sit around for long. I don't think most of us would use it up as quickly as our foremothers did. My mother used bacon grease saved from Sunday breakfast all week long. It would be better health practice to pour the bacon grease into a container through a strainer to remove meat bits and keep the bacon drippings in the refrigerator. First, it would keep out the ants, and second, bacon grease can easily turn rancid, and third, a fresher smell in the kitchen.

NL (GJ's wife and caregiver)