Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your electric wheelchair

I have been in touch with Permobil Sweden and put it to them what you said .
    We are using the latest PG/DT control system on nearly all our chairs. http://www.pgdt.com/products/r-net/index.html

But we are using our own ICS seating system.

And we are trying to keep the quality at the highest level.

The wheelchairs are the same in every country.

We want our name to be considered as a top of the line brand, so that we should make chairs that only last 5 years is not true.

If you do the recommended maintains of the chair it should give you many years of service.
    I cannot understand for the life of me why any company would make a wheelchair that is only supposed to last five years, these people have got a reputation to uphold. If everyone's Permobil only lasted five years than they would get a bad reputation and nobody would buy them.

Anyway, after shopping around I managed to get £3000 off the initial asking price so I'm quite pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
    I have been in touch with Permobil Sweden and put it to them what you said .
    I cannot understand for the life of me why any company would make a wheelchair that is only supposed to last five years, these people have got a reputation to uphold. If everyone's Permobil only lasted five years than they would get a bad reputation and nobody would buy them.

Anyway, after shopping around I managed to get £3000 off the initial asking price so I'm quite pleased.
    I was told by my vendor that the new US Permobils, which will be made in the new California location, will be built to only last 5 years because in the US, Medicaid will pay for a new chair every 5 years. So they assume everyone is going to ask for a new chair after 5 years whether they need it or not. I have to say, I've been given the runaround so many times with this vendor that it's hard to know what is true. But I don't see the advantage to them in making this up if they are still selling Permobils.

As far as the joystick/cables problem, I know this is true because, after hearing it from several sources, I called Permobil US directly and they admitted it's a problem with no solution offered at this time. Could it be that we have two different electronics systems because we're in two different countries? In other words, 220 vs. 110 voltage? I'm hoping none of this will affect you, and that you will get a great chair from the Sweden plant.

I would love to hear from anyone else regarding these issues because it seems like there's a lot of misinformation out there and it's hard to decipher the fact from fiction.

I can't believe that Permobil Sweden would allow this to happen, like I said they have got their reputation to think of, letting another company manufacture inferior chairs using their name would be complete madness. I've I heard that white goods are pretty much made to last only a few years, but wheelchairs, I would be quite sceptical about those claims. I'll put it to Permobil in Sweden and see what they say.

Anyway, I have now ordered my Corpus 500 3G. I've ordered the faster version which does 10 km an hour. They put their prices up January 1, 2012, I was initially created for the wheelchair and clamp down system is not far off £20,000, I'm now getting the whole lot for £16,700, just over £3000 discount, in fact it's probably slightly less than I would have paid if we were my last year's prices. However, it still twice as much as you would pay for a small family car which really does disgust me. How can any wheelchair manufacturer justified charging twice as much it would cost to buy a family car?

I have no love for most wheelchair manufacturers, especially with regard to prices. However, part of the problem is that power wheelchairs are a relatively small volume product compared to cars. When you look at how many manufacturers there are and divide the chairs among them, they have to be marked up a good bit to recover research and development, and production costs.

I got a Permobile M300 3G last August and have not had any significant problems yet. I find it to be a much better outdoor chair than indoor. The 8 inch casters swing in a rather wide arc when reversing direction and if you are close to a wall or something, it is likely to scrape them. Also, it makes for a jerk when reversing directions on carpeting. On the other hand, it will go up 3 inch curbs and cruises over rather rough terrain.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Hey Ironside, did you get your new chair yet? If so, how is it?

My new (as of Dec 2010) Permobil C400 just came back to me last week after being in the shop again for 6 weeks. I've only had it in my possession in working order for approx 3-4 weeks out of the last year and a half! No joke! So two days after it's been home it just decides to stop in the middle of rolling down the hall. But it starts again right away, so I don't panic. It does this once again on day 3. Day 4 everything seems fine. Day 5 the seat elevator breaks leaving me stranded half way elevated. Arghhhhh! Fortunately I was able to transfer back into my trusty 11 year old Permobil Entra, which is where I've been ever since (and come to think of it, for the last year and a half).

What do you all think? Is this chair a lemon? Should I start all over again with a new chair? The Permobil line is completely different now with the new C3 seating system.
    Last edited by beatscookin; 05-21-2012 at 01:37 AM.

Correction, I got my new Permobil C400 in Dec. 2010 (not 2011 as I posted earlier).

Ok, I just figured out how to edit my post above. Now I can't figure out how to delete this post. . . .Aw, what a noob!
    Last edited by beatscookin; 05-21-2012 at 01:45 AM.