Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your electric wheelchair

Your electric wheelchair

I bought my permobil chairman brand-new in June 2000. Apart from the bloody joystick which has been replaced at least three times, maybe four in the last four years, the chair has been extremely reliable. The joystick has recently started to malfunction again so I decided "what the heck, 11 1/2 years is pretty good for a chair that I use every single day" so I decided to get myself a Permobil C500S. I was wondering how long you guys have had your electric wheelchair for. I reckon 11 years is not bad for a wheelchair, two sets of batteries and the motors have lasted without being replaced.

I had my Quickie 626 for 9 years. 9 snowy, bitterly cold winters with no car, rolling everywhere downtown. The motor had been replaced twice, the batteries about 5 times, and the salt and dirt caked on the frame after each winter was an inch thick!

Are you going with the C500S Corpus or a C500S Corpus 3G. While it is difficult for me to from their UK website if it is available over there right now, but Permobil now offers it on all models except the stander and HD3 here in the States. If it isn't available in the UK, I suspect it will be in the very near future. It should be worth the wait.

i don't know why, but this reminded me of an axe i got when i was twelve.
    it was a great axe
    over the years i changed the handle four times and the head twice
    damn that was a fine axe

:back on topic:

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    Are you going with the C500S Corpus or a C500S Corpus 3G. While it is difficult for me to from their UK website if it is available over there right now, but Permobil now offers it on all models except the stander and HD3 here in the States. If it isn't available in the UK, I suspect it will be in the very near future. It should be worth the wait.
    What is the difference between the C500S in the C500S 3G? Just by looking at the specifications I can see straight away that the C 500 S does 1/12MPH quicker than the 3G. I would probably go for the quicker wheelchair stop

This C300 has Corpus 3G seating. Much less flex.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=173121

<too late>
    Last edited by chasmengr; 12-31-2011 at 01:12 PM. Reason: duplicate info
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Ironside, the Permobil you get in the UK will not be the same as what we get in the US. Countries with nationalized health care want chairs that last, because their government pays for it, so they get the best ones. The new US models are designed to only last 5 years.

I've had my Chairman Entra since 2001, when they were still building them in Sweden, and love it. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for my new C400. I've had nothing but trouble and it's been in the shop for over a year. Apparently there's major problems with the joystick & cables, which are made by PG Drives Technology. There are many complaints, but so far PG is not willing to recall the joysticks/cables or offer any solution. Permobil was sold a few years ago, so maybe they just aren't the good company they used to be.

Hopefully you will get a fantastic, reliable chair made by Permobil in Sweden!:-)

Quote Originally Posted by beatscookin View Post
    Ironside, the Permobil you get in the UK will not be the same as what we get in the US. Countries with nationalized health care want chairs that last, because their government pays for it, so they get the best ones. The new US models are designed to only last 5 years.

I've had my Chairman Entra since 2001, when they were still building them in Sweden, and love it. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for my new C400. I've had nothing but trouble and it's been in the shop for over a year. Apparently there's major problems with the joystick & cables, which are made by PG Drives Technology. There are many complaints, but so far PG is not willing to recall the joysticks/cables or offer any solution. Permobil was sold a few years ago, so maybe they just aren't the good company they used to be.

Hopefully you will get a fantastic, reliable chair made by Permobil in Sweden!:-)
    interesting, I'm in the UK and I have to buy the wheelchair myself. The wheelchair has two year parts guarantee so I would have thought they stand by their technology, if it's crap then it's going to go wrong well before two years is up, especially if you use the chair a lot like I do. I will mention what you said to them and see what they have to say.

But having said this, I am using a permobil chairman which I got in 2000, this I believe has the PG8 joystick which may be what you're talking about. I must admit, I have a lot of trouble with it over the years, it's been replaced about four times and about a month ago it started playing up again, although touchwood, it doesn't seem to be getting any worse. I believe the new models do not use this type of joystick
    Last edited by Ironside; 02-01-2012 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
    interesting, I'm in the UK and I have to buy the wheelchair myself. The wheelchair has two year parts guarantee so I would have thought they stand by their technology, if it's crap then it's going to go wrong well before two years is up, especially if you use the chair a lot like I do. I will mention what you said to them and see what they have to say.

But having said this, I am using a permobil chairman which I got in 2000, this I believe has the PG8 joystick which may be what you're talking about. I must admit, I have a lot of trouble with it over the years, it's been replaced about four times and about a month ago it started playing up again, although touchwood, it doesn't seem to be getting any worse. I believe the new models do not use this type of joystick
    My Chairman has the old Pilot Plus joystick system which is completely different electronics and joystick than what they use now. I'm not sure if you and I have the same old Chairman joysticks. I've only had to replace my joystick twice in 11 years.

I'm very interested in how your new chair turns out for you, and looking forward to comparing notes since we both are used to the Chairman. I can tell you the C400 didn't feel right to me at first. We worked with the programming, and even disabled the "Enhanced Steering Performance." Then the chair died again, and it's been in the shop since mid December.:-(

BTW, I started the following thread a few days ago that you might be interested in:
    Has anyone tried the new Permobil Corpus 3G seating system?
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...80#post1485380