Thread: FES use for Para

FES use for Para

I realize there are plenty of posts about FES bikes. But some are a little old. How many paras are using an FES bike and think it helps. I am a T-8/9 complete. I have a year old RTI-3000. I have used it 4 times period! I just did not find I could make the time to actually use it. I am wondering if I am making a mistake. I feel pretty confident that I am not going to walk again. I all but severed my spinal cord. A few fibers remained is what my doctor said I guess. I am just really trying to see if this is soemthing I would really benefit by using or if I need to sell it.

Thanks for any information.

Hv1987

HV1987,
    There are many reasons for using an FES cycle. While the fancy brochures tout "prepare for the cure", the fact is the biggest benefit is health, heart, lungs using the large muscle groups in the body. As a 30 yr plus post injured person that was very active I can tell you that if you are super active like I was , your shoulders will wear out similar to how a waling persons hips wear out only early as the shoulder joint is smaller and wasn't designed to support your full body weight (transfers/climbing up/climbing down to floor). So you may wish to think of this as your personal way of remaining/getting fit without get repetitive motion injury to your shoulders. You will also increase muscle mass in your legs and reduce spasticity. A good doc should tell you this all should be done inconjunction with a standing pgram to keep your bones strong and to keep them from getting injured as you increase the muscle mass of your legs. Check with a knowlegable doc on this. If you do standing program at supper and do a quick cycle before you start your day, it will just become a habit over time. Yes, it is very hard to fit all this crap in but if you do it you should fell better! Hope this helps!

Best,
    enginermom2

Very well said enginermom2. I have started doing this very thing more and more. Using my upper body less for exercise and my lower body more. I do an hour every other day on the FES and stand. I use to do a lot of upper body exercise but have slowed down with that some (I do play tennis though which I love) but I try not to push in the chair or even handcycle ride as much as I use too. At 54 years old and 31 years post now I started really worrying about my shoulder even though they still seem amazingly fine. I try to stay away from big transfers and set my life up so most my transfers are level and short (the right vehicles etc). You should definatly keep and use your FES bike every other day hv 1987 as tough as it is to do the dividends in improved health and more than likely longevity as you get older are well worth the effort IMO. Brought back memories seeing you Jewett brace in your picture, Thats the same one they had me in for 3 months or so back in 1981 when I was first SCI'd, they use those for mid thorasic injuries. The lower injuries get the tortouse shell looking brace.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

thank you both for the information, I appreciate it very much. sounds like I just need to make the commitment and do it. I know I do I am just trying to get the motivation to do it. with 3 young kids and 50 hour a week job it is tough but I need to do it.

Curt,

That picture is of me and my wife 2 days after my accident in 2008. I hated that damn thing. But it was a nice picture of my wife right by my side so I put in on there. It is my favorite picture.

Thanks for the info guys.

Quote Originally Posted by hv1987 View Post
    thank you both for the information, I appreciate it very much. sounds like I just need to make the commitment and do it. I know I do I am just trying to get the motivation to do it. with 3 young kids and 50 hour a week job it is tough but I need to do it.

Curt,

That picture is of me and my wife 2 days after my accident in 2008. I hated that damn thing. But it was a nice picture of my wife right by my side so I put in on there. It is my favorite picture.

Thanks for the info guys.
    I agree, she must be a great woman, so many people abandon us when this sort of thing happens. Yes, you should definatly make the committment if not for yourself but for your family so you are around for them as you age, if you can get a better system for setting yourself up things go much smoother, an example would be putting on your glut pads while seated in your chair rather than putting them on before hand. Simply do a lean lift and slap both pads on one cheek and then a lean lift to the other side and the same. Once you become better at doing your setup you will not be as hesitant to use the FES bike.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Good idea on the lean. That is one of my big reason why I dont like I always had to have help from my wife to get the glut ones on. So I will try that right away. I think I will also move the bike upstairs as I have it down stairs and it is a pain to get down there. So I use that as an excuse to not do it. I seem to use a lot of excuses anymore for things. I am very actice, I mean very active but I am not sure my "active" falls into an excersize category! So I am fooling myself thinking I am.

Gonna start this week. 2 times a week to start. Gotta do it.

I personally think it is a serious waste of money. If you want to keep blood flow buy an empi unit and use it. To spend 16-20k on a fes bike that is cumbersome at best is ridiculous. I would sell it why you can still get some money for it and consider a Nustep for range of motion and will also help burn calories. It would be one thing if insurance helped pay, but I know that is very rare. Studies suggest weight-bearing electrical stimulation will help somewhat with osteoperosis. Who cares if you're muscles are big if you can't use them. They will simply hang off your leg for lack of a better term.
    Donnie: Dr. Xiao, What are your thoughts on a cure/combination therapy for SCI's??
    CG Xiao: Donnie, I don't want to disappoint you, but I think it is impossible to restore the continuity of the cord or "bridge the gap" in the near future, let's say: 50 years. Dr Wise Young has been my most respected scientist in SCI. He has dedicated and contributed to SCI no other can match.

I started using an FES cycle last March, after 10 years of being a T4 para. The most obvious improvement has been in my quads and glutes, which have gotten far more muscular. The skin on my upper legs has also improved. I'm pretty sure I've gotten back a tiny bit of sensation, in various patches, around my groin (yay!) and upper legs.
    Last edited by EastRando; 01-06-2012 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Typo