Thread: Have you bought an annual share

Have you bought an annual share

in a local, organic farm? What about a half share if you are single?

I'm considering this as it offers a variety of fresh. locally grown fruits, veggies and dairy products. The catch? If the farm has a bad year due to weather conditions or pests, you don't get as great a return for your share.

There is not the flexibility to have locally out of season items unless you can, dry or freeze these yourself for later use from your share.

Even with drawbacks, I'm considering an annual share in a farm. The food would be high quality, local, organic and I'd know who was producing my food. I love the idea of supporting a local farmer with a small operation. It supports the economy here.

Shared experiences, pro and con, are appreciated.

South Side of the Potomac ..... IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER

Please do your Homework

Dear LaMemChose,

Back in the 1990's there was a push for "Co-op natural farming" down in Florida. An individual could buy part of a cow or part of a pig. The idea was that ANY individual could own part of a farm and share in the profits.

This "natural farming" was well before our current economic situation. When everything paned out from the first year profits there was no farm nor animals nor money. In short it was a Bernie Madoff scheme. Please do your "DUE DILIGENCE" before giving any one crop share money. I hope your time and money are not better spent on "Farmville" than on something that could cost you some IRL real $Green$.

Quote Originally Posted by ColonusFan View Post
    Dear LaMemChose,

Back in the 1990's there was a push for "Co-op natural farming" down in Florida. An individual could buy part of a cow or part of a pig. The idea was that ANY individual could own part of a farm and share in the profits.

This "natural farming" was well before our current economic situation. When everything paned out from the first year profits there was no farm nor animals nor money. In short it was a Bernie Madoff scheme. Please do your "DUE DILIGENCE" before giving any one crop share money. I hope your time and money are not better spent on "Farmville" than on something that could cost you some IRL real $Green$.
    Thank you for sharing your knowledge of Ponzi schemes involving purchase of portions of specific farm animals from he 70's. That's terrible, but at least those who thought they were buying part of Porky or Bessie were buying at most a portion of an animal and not a full share of a farm for a year.

This one does not in anyway have markings of a Madoff scheme. The organic farm is run by a man with an education in agriculture and family in the area. He has a real, live, actual, working farm he owns and it has been possible to purchase shares in this farm annually for several years now. Those who have bought into the farm in previous years have been pleased with both the quantity, quality and variety of produce offered.

The farm is near the cabin where I often spend long a good bit of time. It is possible to go to the farm, and also see this man and his produce at an area farmer's market. He grows more than actual shares. Plus, individuals who have purchased shares pick up produce either at the farm or the market weekly or biweekly during growing seasons.

Given what you have said, I may watch this for another year and simply purchase what I would like from him at a local farmer's market.

I want to support local farmers and have fallen in love with the idea of doing so. Perhaps reading the book "The Dirty Life" has me romanticizing small farms and all things organic. Better quality, organic produce sourced locally is how I'd like to feed myself and those who dine with me.

Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by ColonusFan View Post
    Dear LaMemChose,

this was my experience. tried it in cali with a fresh produce, at the sweetwater swap meet. and again in pennsylvania with a food co op. the pennsylvania co op worked out well, but I knew people who had done it the year before, and were happy with it. I would try this again if there were something like it here.

Do they deliver? I've purchased several CSA shares, and the biggest hassle has been pickup - for some reason these otherwise wonderful, organic, earth loving people have been completely unable to comprehend that it might be difficult for me to park my car in rutted dirt, unload the wheelchair, push over mud/dirt/gravel to wherever they're dispensing the food, and get back to my car with a giant box on my lap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyUDqoPO5Eo
    Katja you need a freewheel. I saw pararich use his, and it works very well in mud, uneaven ground and on gravel.

some places probably do deliver if the person was near. if they dont they should.