Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scuba Dive

Scuba Dive

I'm a very active Scuba Diver...Instructor, U/W Photographer. I have peripheral neuropathy so I'm fairly mobile with braces and crutches. Underwater all disability vanishes for me.

Joe

do you beach dive or boat dive, i live in merritt island.
    I haven't gone diving since the accident, but plan to.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

Both...boat entries & exits are easier...beach can tricky. Springs are very doable also.

Joe

Oh yeah..I'm an HSA Instructor

I have been diving for years before my neck surgery failures. I am now a walking quad (C7 incomplete ASIA C). I just went back to diving after two years out of the water. Just returned from Fiji (Deepdiver521 on YouTube).
    I dive CCR, SCCR, OC, and SSA. I have found the depth helps with everything, sort of like Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy. Leg spasms go away totally, and overall I feel better after a dive, if I push the PPO2 to just below 1.6, typically 1.5 PPO2. The only thing that I cannot do now is currents do to the weak legs. I prefer Boat entry and exit and typically have the BC off in the water and hand it to the crew. Shore diving is a pain getting to the water. Can't use crutches with the gear.
    I use a ZRA2 to get around on land for distance and KAFOs or AFOs with crutches the rest of the time.
    Leaving for Dumaguete in about 4 weeks and hope to do 60 dives in two weeks. 5 a day by boat.

The problem is getting on and off the boats on land. Will be OC Nitrox for sure. I am going to have to try Florida some time soon. What can you recommend?
    Darwin wants me dead

For starters...we can't top Fiji!

Florida is great in that we have a large variety of diving, from the fresh water springs, east coast beach dives, Palm Beach area drift dives and finally the coral reefs of the Keys. We many wrecks, some shallow and some deep. Weather conditions are best in the summer and early fall...but there is always some place to dive year round (I just did a beach dive yesterday).

I can certainly help you choose your best options...I'm an instructor (NASE & HSA) and run lots of trips

Joe

Can you recommend a program or diver who works with PWD's on the SW coast, in the Ft. Myers area? I have been active in w/c sports for nearly 40 years, but age, arthritis, and overuse have made me much more sedentary than I want to be. I have been thinking about this for a while, and would like to give it a try. Thanks

Cody Unser, daughter of race car driver Al Unser Jr., is paraplegic from transferse myelitis. She and other divers noticed neurological changes while diving. Read about it in the BC paraplegic Association's Spin Magazine (PDF download)

I'm a C4-5 quad and I don't remember any neurological changes while diving post injury, except for the total disappearance of spasms for a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by t6para View Post
    I am going to have to try Florida some time soon. What can you recommend?[/SIZE][/FONT]

Months before my SCI I dove John Pennekamp State Park, the first undersea park in the USA. The cool thing is that because of the availability of glass bottom boats, I could take friends to show them what I had seen the day before. So that's my recommendation.

On that same trip, I dove a fresh water spring somewhere around Lakeland, Florida. That's a unique experience, as cbdives recommends.

It's fun to "moon" the glass bottom boat!

Can you give me any info on the Springs and how accessible they are.

I have been wanting to dive Florida for some time but had no recommendations other than sales pitch from the internet sites. Any recommendatios as a local diver?

People ask where I dive in Colorado and I tell them the airport.
    Darwin wants me dead