Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Hand controls after 18+ years

New Hand controls after 18+ years

Hello to everyone! I just found and joined the forum about 2 weeks ago and so far it's a great place.

I just bought a new BMW on Dec. 23 and had the Veigel Classic hand controls installed. I've used Monarch's for the past 18+ years and was a little worried about the change.
    Since the 23rd I've found that the change from left side to right side control wasn't as bad as I thought and I'm really liking the fact that I can now tilt my steering wheel down and drive more normal than driving 18 wheeler style for so many years. The Veigel matches my interor very well also and I've had several ppl say that they thought my controls were part of the car at first glance. I've attached some pics of the controls installed in my car.
    SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
    T4,5,6 Incomplete
    Chair: TiLite TR3

May I ask what they cost installed ? They're what I would choose, both smart in looks and functionality. mark

Parts and Labor came in just under $2000.
    T4,5,6 Incomplete

The twist throttle action is pretty cool.... Wish they would have fit better in my wife's car but had to switch to the compact which is push/pull.... I paid around the same for our install....

Did you use the Monarch's with your left hand?

If you did how was it for you to switch to using you right hand?
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Fancy controls! Mine are pretty basic

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by stumpybushman View Post
    Hello to everyone! I just found and joined the forum about 2 weeks ago and so far it's a great place.

I just bought a new BMW on Dec. 23 and had the Veigel Classic hand controls installed. I've used Monarch's for the past 18+ years and was a little worried about the change.
    Since the 23rd I've found that the change from left side to right side control wasn't as bad as I thought and I'm really liking the fact that I can now tilt my steering wheel down and drive more normal than driving 18 wheeler style for so many years. The Veigel matches my interor very well also and I've had several ppl say that they thought my controls were part of the car at first glance. I've attached some pics of the controls installed in my car.
    I've been talking with one of the reps at Viegel Hand Controls in Detroit, MI about purchasing this hand control for my 72 Old 442. Did you install them or did you have a dealer install them?

Thanks

Chris

Love it, but it seems like they don't have design for right hand control on right driving seat.
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

Yes I drove left-handed using the Monarch's and it really wasn't that big of a deal switching over to right-handed driving. I have caught myself twice reaching for the
    controls with my left hand when I first get in but other than that all is good.
    My rep. that installed the controls told me that Veigel is a German Company, so I don't
    see why there wouldn't be a set-up for right seat driving.
    T4,5,6 Incomplete

Yes I drove left-handed using the Monarch's and it really wasn't that big of a deal switching over to right-handed driving. I have caught myself twice reaching for the
    controls with my left hand when I first get in but other than that all is good.
    My rep. that installed the controls told me that Veigel is a German Company, so I don't
    see why there wouldn't be a set-up for right seat driving.
    Thanks for the input it's good to hear changing over to right hand gas brake after 18yrs was no problem for you.

You just reaffirmed again for me that if someone has the desire to drive with something different they will adapt.

I wish I could have a assortment of vehicles on hand all with different controls for people to try.

We have a hand control similar to the Veigel that uses two levers(one for gas on for brake) that we've been making for more than 20 years.

I'm going to try and get a set of Veigel's put in something or put together some sort of demo for people to try.
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA