Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ok. better eating starts now.

I eat Wild Alaskan Salmon Joe. Here is a link discussing it for some reading regarding mercury etc:

http://www.epi.alaska.gov/eh/fish/

Thanks for the info KLD and all!!

One good piece of advice I adhere to is, "Don't drink your calories!"
    And the truth shall set you free.

[QUOTE=NoDecafPlz;1469587]Tuna, brown rice and salads are now my staples since puffing up back in NJ.

I'm done with all the gluten free breads bagels cereals etc.

I don't like veggies but I will do what I can.

My liquids will be tea, coffee and water. I'll supplement with vitamins and protein.

I will have an exercise program.

What am I missing?[/QUOTE]

Variety and Moderation!!!!
    You are going to get so bored on a diet like this that you will go off easily or when you reach your goal and start adding back some foods you ignored during your diet, the pounds will start coming back again. I think it was Richard Simmons who said
    Don't go on a Diet...Go on a Live It.

Eat a little of everything you like, but smaller portions and maybe not so often.

All the best,
    GJ

I'm liking all these ideas especially after belly bumping the table way too many times during the holidays.. Is there a height to weight ratio we should be going by at 5'8 I weighed 168 before thanksgiving Turkey and Christmas ham along with the trimmings and desserts..
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

Hey nodecaf, the veggie thing is a real issue in our house too, the kids will grudgingly eat their greens after some coaxing but they still don't like 'em.

I always tell them to try salad and we promised that if they begin eating salads we will have less vege nights, of course the kids howl me down and carry on about how theyd hate salad etc.

I used to detest vegetables (I eat them but only for health reasons) but made myself enjoy salad as a kid and now I love a good salad and I tell you salad type vegeis are a hell of a lot nicer than your standard carrot, peas, sprouts etc.

Get used to good salads and you can probably get away with not having vegetables too much.

Lettuce, tomatoes, capsicum (red or green), few mushrooms, cucumber and some shredded carrot, then get a pinch of sugar and a little lemon juice to dress it and you got an awesome side for steaks n stuff...oh mum got me into coriander (cilantro) years ago and I swear it will transform your salads into awesome.

If you are looking to impress a lady...coriander...it will have her removing her undergarments within seconds.

I need more salads right now, Christmas food is making my wheelchair wheels buckle under the strain on of my holiday weight...lol
    "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

get a good balsalmic vinegar to add flavor (with lemon juice) to veggies or salads instead of butter and stash whole wheat pasta instead of the regular stuff (the wheat pasta sold is often 50/50 white/wheat-they try to trick you) so that when you are craving carbs at least you're not going completely apeshit. (or 'bugfuck' according to Donno)
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

Yeah that Bugfuck was great.

Question Stuck!

Before injury I took great pride in my food -- my cookbook is at the bottom of http://getouttatown.shutterfly.com -- and I still make really nutritious dishes now...however...i might be eating too much fiber?! I have not had a significant BM since Christmas, after a protein filled breakfast. My last thought - I have to add more fat to my diet but I do not want to because I do not expel much energy to burn calories.....!!!?????

any suggestions?!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
    Fruits. I perform a lot better on the potty when I eat lots of vegetables.

Where can you find a dietitian or nutritionist that specializes in SCI diets?

Maybe the NSCIA knows.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. -- John Lennon

maybe you're dehydrated?
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

Quote Originally Posted by LIP26 View Post
    Before injury I took great pride in my food -- my cookbook is at the bottom of http://getouttatown.shutterfly.com -- and I still make really nutritious dishes now...however...i might be eating too much fiber?! I have not had a significant BM since Christmas, after a protein filled breakfast. My last thought - I have to add more fat to my diet but I do not want to because I do not expel much energy to burn calories.....!!!?????

any suggestions?!
    probiotics every am and a shake of the ultimate meal..made with.8 ounces water and fruit..and it has flaxseed..you will not gain weight. Dont forget to drink abother 8 ounces water after shake.
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda