Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Ok. better eating starts now.

Sorry! lol. Seriously though- I find it pretty easy to maintain a lean meat/heavy fruit & veggie/complex carbs or whole weats or grains occasionally/diet. Avoiding processed foods, Sugar and White Flour & unnecessary carbs plan is just good across the board. Food is fuel. Eat the fresh, delicious, 'best for you' kind- fads like dehydrators, juicers, etc can just frustrate you if you don't just make the decision to adapt to a healthier way of life
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

Quote Originally Posted by feisty View Post
    Sorry! lol. Seriously though- I find it pretty easy to maintain a lean meat/heavy fruit & veggie/complex carbs or whole weats or grains occasionally/diet. Avoiding processed foods, Sugar and White Flour & unnecessary carbs plan is just good across the board. Food is fuel. Eat the fresh, delicious, 'best for you' kind- fads like dehydrators, juicers, etc can just frustrate you if you don't just make the decision to adapt to a healthier way of life
    I couldn't agree more fiesty
    JimmyMack
    Member: New Jersey Commission on Spinal Cord Reasearch
    http://www.state.nj.us/health/spinalcord/index.shtml

I'm late to this thread, but want to assure y'all that your palate will adjust. I used to eat shit all the time and about 10 years ago decided to eat better and get fit. I lost 35lbs and 50 cholesterol points over about 18 months.

I now eat a head of broccoli, a whole carrot, and either a zuchinni, squash, or bell pepper every day. And they taste good. And I look forward to eating them. And now when I do get fast food I feel sick. And I can only drink about 6oz of soda before it's too sweet. Of course, I still eat delicious things that aren't good for me, but I control my portions and frequency of such meals.

It takes time to readjust and the first month or two is the worst. The thing that made it easist for me is to not prohibit myself from eating anything. Instead of saying "I can't have that" I told myself "I don't want that". It's a subtle difference, but one that helped the psychology of eating better. And if I really, REALLY did want it, I would only take a very tiny amount. Just enough to taste it and savor one bite.

When it comes to water, I have a 32oz Nalgene bottle and fill it up every morning when I get to work. That way it's easier to monitor how much fluids I'm comsuming.

It's not easy, especially at first, but stick with it and give it enough time and your body will adjust.

This is what my desk looks like right now:

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    I'm late to this thread, but want to assure y'all that your palate will adjust. I used to eat shit all the time and about 10 years ago decided to eat better and get fit. I lost 35lbs and 50 cholesterol points over about 18 months.

I now eat a head of broccoli, a whole carrot, and either a zuchinni, squash, or bell pepper every day. And they taste good. And I look forward to eating them. And now when I do get fast food I feel sick. And I can only drink about 6oz of soda before it's too sweet. Of course, I still eat delicious things that aren't good for me, but I control my portions and frequency of such meals.

It takes time to readjust and the first month or two is the worst. The thing that made it easist for me is to not prohibit myself from eating anything. Instead of saying "I can't have that" I told myself "I don't want that". It's a subtle difference, but one that helped the psychology of eating better. And if I really, REALLY did want it, I would only take a very tiny amount. Just enough to taste it and savor one bite.

When it comes to water, I have a 32oz Nalgene bottle and fill it up every morning when I get to work. That way it's easier to monitor how much fluids I'm comsuming.

It's not easy, especially at first, but stick with it and give it enough time and your body will adjust.

Good luck!
    ^ditto!

Joe, it might help you to start by replacing your snacks first... substitute superfoods like blueberries and almonds for your sweet and/or salty snacks to get a head start. It's almost spring, so start making it about produce... is there a farmers market nearby?
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

I'm way ahead of that. Milk and eggs are gone (starting a year ago)
    Breads, rolls, bagels, pastas, crackers, cereal (except gluten free oatmeal)
    Starting 3 months ago.

My base starch is long grain bismati brown rice.
    No lunch meat, occasional shredded cheese sometimes on salad.

Breakfast is ultimate meal shake w/ organic fat free yogurt, strawberries and blueberries. Lunch is chicken breast w/ brown rice. Dinner is salad w/ pole caught/low mercury tuna. Snack is Envirokids brown rice bar.

I go to the Y with a trainer mwf 2 hours each do weight circuit, stretch and cardio. Have cut way back on booze.

My birthday is June 8th. I will be 40. I plan to be way better at 40 than I ever was in my 30's.
    And the truth shall set you free.

Good for you Joe!

WOW!!! I am inspired!
    Damn impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by NoDecafPlz View Post
    I'm way ahead of that. Milk and eggs are gone (starting a year ago)
    Breads, rolls, bagels, pastas, crackers, cereal (except gluten free oatmeal)
    Starting 3 months ago.

My base starch is long grain bismati brown rice.
    No lunch meat, occasional shredded cheese sometimes on salad.

Breakfast is ultimate meal shake w/ organic fat free yogurt, strawberries and blueberries. Lunch is chicken breast w/ brown rice. Dinner is salad w/ pole caught/low mercury tuna. Snack is Envirokids brown rice bar.

I go to the Y with a trainer mwf 2 hours each do weight circuit, stretch and cardio. Have cut way back on booze.

My birthday is June 8th. I will be 40. I plan to be way better at 40 than I ever was in my 30's.
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Quote Originally Posted by NoDecafPlz View Post

Breakfast is ultimate meal shake
    Not cheap but impressive ingredients.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad View Post
    Not cheap but impressive ingredients.
    The 30-serving can of Ultimate Meal be purchased for under $50/can including shipping and tax, so it's not THAT expensive. Plus it's so vitamin and mineral rich that you can pretty much stop taking pill supplements, which makes it an even better value.

Next month will mark my 1-year anniversary as an UM customer. I can't foresee ever stop using it.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    The 30-serving can of Ultimate Meal be purchased for under $50/can including shipping and tax, so it's not THAT expensive. Plus it's so vitamin and mineral rich that you can pretty much stop taking pill supplements, which makes it an even better value.

Next month will mark my 1-year anniversary as an UM customer. I can't foresee ever stop using it.

Yeah imagine buying all those ingrediants fresh and then the effort it would take to blend or juice, prepare, and eat them..I am with you..less than $2.00 for a meal like that is preventative medicine.

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda