Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The SCI Sisterhood

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    There are many MALE caregivers too. This is not a role exclusive to women, or to even to spouses.

(KLD)
    Yes, I agree 100%. But, in this case, the article I was referring to just happened to be by a woman, who found support in connecting with other women.

Let me pose a different question-- If you are a caregiver for a person with a SCI, do you ever experience caregiver burnout? If so, how do you deal with the related stress?

If you do a search of our Caregiving forum you will find numerous threads relating to burnout. Here's the link to one of many previous discussions -

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...egiver+burnout

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Yes, I agree 100%. But, in this case, the article I was referring to just happened to be by a woman, who found support in connecting with other women.

Let me pose a different question-- If you are a caregiver for a person with a SCI, do you ever experience caregiver burnout? If so, how do you deal with the related stress?
    Nope, never. Its sunshine and roses at our house 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post

My Mother is dealing with this.not due to sci family member (me) but as she is now the caretaker to her husband who is diagnosed with Alzheimers..how does she deal with the stress?

Medication..seems to be helping to calm her nerves. I REALLY worry how the stress is affecting her longevity. She was told recently to go to a support group...kinda like what you have here..I hope she participates. Certainly this has proven to be beneficial...support from others in the same place..
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel View Post

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel View Post
    Your's too? L ove it when the unicorns fly by and scatter fairy dust........

Hey those are my unicorns...send them back please!

Quote Originally Posted by MSWIFE1 View Post
    Hey those are my unicorns...send them back please!
    As soon as they are done washing the windows, little darlings that they are......