Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Pics/remarks of Icon?

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    (FYI, this is a wonderful thread - very educational and heart warming (except for the DME horror stories). I just wanted to say thank you to all you guys.)
    I feel the same way, thanks for saying so. CC is great, I couldn't learn the things I do anywhere else, or get the help I do. Also, it's been really exciting hearing about other's Icons. I say that though mine isn't home with me just yet. It will be :-)

By the way, I want to thank Jeff for all his responses.

Sorry for the delay - I had to go shopping for plants and potting soil to ensure domestic peace. Here are a couple of photos showing the distance from footrest to crossbar.

Attachment 43312

Attachment 43313

The height of the crossbar from the ground will vary from 12" to 15" (approx.) depending on rear wheel size and whether the chair is set up with a high or low front end.

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    I didn't put any padding on my crossbar, just kept adjusting till it felt right and didn't have any more problems. here ya go on the measurements.
    and one for those who think it would look better with a dust cap on the FL.
    I should mention those are dust caps I stole from an old set of FL's, just so people don't started asking Icon for them, they were in my parts supply.
    They do look significantly better with the dust caps.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAdams View Post
    Sorry for the delay - I had to go shopping for plants and potting soil to ensure domestic peace. Here are a couple of photos showing the distance from footrest to crossbar.

Attachment 43312

Attachment 43313

The height of the crossbar from the ground will vary from 12" to 15" (approx.) depending on rear wheel size and whether the chair is set up with a high or low front end.
    If that's what I need to have domestic peace, this week I should buy a forest. Geez love ain't easy.

Quote Originally Posted by juggular View Post
    Haven't noticed any difference in tracking. Went down a few ramps full speed any she went straight. That's the factory setting. No issues with stability leaning forward. 3" dump and heavy rims might have some play in that thought.
    Thanks for responding. Comparing your front end to jschism's, the caster arms are at identical angles. For whatever reason, your chair seemed like it had a different setup than other Icon pics posted in the forum. I think the angle of the pic combined with the smaller casters left me with the perception they had been adjusted to be more swept back and inset.

Quote Originally Posted by smashms View Post
    wish i had the money to afford one!! they look so comfortable!!
    I decided I was getting an Icon when I tried it at the Abilities Expo. I had no idea how I would pay for it but I knew I would find a way. I'm going all in with everything I have and more. It's so worth it to me. I'm sorry to say it because I don't want to say anything so obvious or hurt anyone's feelings but I hate using a wheelchair. I hate it so much. Each chair I get that's better gets me closer to well, not being back how I was, but, more independent. I see the Icon as giving me more independence than I've had since I started with chairs. I think it's amazing. I can't wait to start living life with it everyday.

I've changed a lot over the years. Five years ago I didn't leave the house. For a while I was spending nearly 24 hours a day in bed. I slept and slept and was depressed. I did one little thing to get me out of the house and that lead to feeling a little better. One thing lead to more things, my world got bigger. I'm not going back because I don't want to and the Icon is my next step forward.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAdams View Post
    They do look significantly better with the dust caps.

Yes, indeed! Glad you agree --AND the FSH is so easily adjusted when you add them on!!!! (I'm ultra sensitive to this right now because of the care I'm taking to keep my FSH consistent when switching from 6" TiLite casters and forks to FL Unitines with 5" FL Epics. My FSH is critical because of my low ground clearance and flip-back footrest I have for standing up.)
    Attachment 43318Attachment 43319
    Last edited by chasmengr; 01-03-2012 at 12:46 AM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    . I see the Icon as giving me more independence than I've had since I started with chairs.
    I don`t think an Icon would make your life more independece than a TR.

Anyway don`t put your TR so far, maybe you will need it again...

@Toto - I think the point is that a chair that fits (and can be re-configured to fit no matter what the situation) can in fact create more independence, and a chair that doesn't fit can limit opportunity.

I competed at a number of Olympics and Paralympics (Barcelona '92 is still one of my fondest memories from competition), and can guarantee you that if my racing chair didn't fit perfectly, I wouldn't have had as many good days on the track as I did. Depending on what distance I was competing in, I would make very small changes that profoundly affected my performance - eg. I adjusted and reconfigured my equipment based on changing situations so that I got the most out of it.

This is an extreme example, but is a good example/parallel, because as corny as it might sound, using equipment to get a good result at the Paralympics and using equipment to get good results in life have amazing similarities.

For an example of how having the right equipment/configuration applies in everyday life, in my everyday chair, I can do a lot of things only because it fits, and depending on what I'm doing, I need it to fit differently.

When I go to Europe, or up to my cabin (where there are narrow doorways), I put the camber at zero, and bring the wheel gap down to where it just about rubs.

If it was set at six degrees, I couldn't get into my cabin, and a lot of places in Europe would be inaccessible (my independence would be reduced).

When I go to my brother's house, and I know that his kids are going to jump on my lap and hug me and want me to go outside to play with them, I set it at six degrees - if it was set at zero, they'd knock me over, and I would have a hard time playing outside with them. (My opportunity to play with my nephews and my enjoyment of my life would be reduced)

For everyday, I set my camber at two degrees, and my wheel-gap at around 3/4", which gives me a nice in-between setting that suits my lifestyle and the built environment I mostly find myself in.

My independence and the things that are accessible to me are improved and increased by the adjustability of my chair - elements that are simply not available in a lot of other products on the market today.

I'm not trying to say that the Icon is the best chair for everybody - some people will always want a minimalist chair that can't be adjusted or changed, and chairs like Oracing or TiLite are very well made, and serve a market niche very well, no question about that.

We're trying to provide a chair that can be quickly reconfigured to adapt to changing needs, whether they be on a personal level or due to environmental changes.

You are not average - your chair fits, and fits well. But thousands of people are sitting in chairs right now that are a number of inches too wide, a number of inches too tall, or short, or long.

Think about that - this is not an exaggeration.

125,000 people in North America own and use premium wheelchairs. If even 1 percent are in chairs that limit their independence because of the way they fit, that is thousands of people who are limited in the way they can live.

This is unacceptable, unnecessary, and heart-breaking.

For years and years Christian and I both tried to educate vendors and clinicians about how to correctly fit and configure wheelchairs, and about five years ago, we realized that it was a no-win situation, so we gave up. Since then, we've been putting every ounce of energy we have into coming up with a solution to this problem.

Icon is the best we can do to address it. We're going to make mistakes, and we're going to fix them. We're going to ask other people who use chairs for advice, and we're going to listen to them. We're going to try to change things a little bit at a time, and try to make sure that end-users, clinicians, and dealers all benefit from our attempts.

Sorry if this is an over-the-top reaction to an off the cuff remark that you made, maybe chalk it up to post-holiday emotions running high. I know you're a nice guy, and you believe that custom chairs are the way to go, and that you really do mean well.

@grommet and everyone else who owns a custom chair and is thinking about getting a new one - he's right - don't put your TR away just yet, keep it around for awhile - in fact, you'll pretty much have to keep it around, because trying to find anyone who will buy it or even take it as a gift is almost impossible to do with a custom chair, so whether you want to or not, it's probably going to just gather dust, like so many other custom chairs do.

Attachment 43334

There will never be a picture of a jumbled mess of Icons sitting on a shelf, because they will be re-adjusted, reconfigured, and used by someone who needs them.

We saw that problem, and are trying to solve it (little by little), and the benefit to the end-user is not an accident - it's by design. The ability to adjust and reconfigure the Icon is going to create an after-market of used chairs (not immediately, but over time), because someone trying to sell a used Icon won't have to find a body-double. What a waste to have two or three old chairs sitting in a garage or on a shelf, that can't be re-sold to someone who can't afford a brand new one (or donated to someone who really needs it).

Think of the benefit of being able to recoup some of the cost of a new chair by selling the old one, or the feeling of donating a used chair to someone and playing a role in increasing their independence and opportunity in life.

Icon. Fits.
    Last edited by JeffAdams; 01-03-2012 at 09:00 PM.

Jeff,

That says perfectly what I've been trying to tell people, I couldn't have said it better or given such good examples. My Tilite TR is a great chair, very well made and designed but, it doesn't fit me. It's close but I've got pain where it doesn't and can't do what I want in it. There are measurements I am aware of now that I couldn't have been before and, my body has changed. Besides those permanent measurements, like Jeff pointed out, there are times when being able to reconfigure the chair to suit the situation provides opportunities to participate that were never possible before. Wow, to be able to narrow the chair up to get through the aisles and later stretch everything out so I can rest a little while I'm in the airport? So many many possibilities.

I will be keeping my TR, of course. Always have a back up also, as Jeff has pointed out, who would want my custom made chair? They'd either have to be the same as me or willing to settle and then they would be in pain or creating injuries. My TR will be stored. Maybe it will fit in the storage area I have my old Top End Pro-T. At one time I had five or six, no wait, I had seven wheelchairs in my studio apartment - two were powerchairs. When I was able to finally get one of my powerchairs (that didn't fit), a Quickie S626 to a friend who could use it, he really did me a favor just getting it out of my place. Geez, I just remembered another chair I have in another storage right now, a brand new folder I got about five years ago.

Yesterday I threw out an old seatcover for a Jay 'Deep and Tall Deep countour' seatback and that's after I finally got rid of a brand new identical back. I've got loads of stuff, almost none of it fit right. I had to learn over the years with a lot of pain and money.

I think Jeff is right, the Icon fits. I'll find out for myself pretty soon and trust me if it doesn't, I'll say so. I'm going out of pocket and my income is $830/mo. That's how much I believe in it. My independence is worth anything to me. Even a little more is a lot. Between me and a couple of friends we could open up a used equipment DME shop. I'm ready for something that fits.