Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Pics/remarks of Icon?

We are also liking what we hear about the Icon for its suspension/adjustability. My partner also has limited trunk control as mentioned in previous posts. He is willing to learn new ways to do transfers (not using arm rests), but he will never be able to do ground transfers because he has hemiparerisis.

Do you think the Icon is a realistic option for someone with hemiparerisis? Are there any one-arm-drive options available? See this thread for more information: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=187438
    Last edited by elarson; 05-17-2012 at 06:53 PM. Reason: fixed typo's
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    I just made this, not high quality. I put my wheels behind the passenger seat and the chair upside down in the rear passenger side. It sits there most of the time without it moving around.
    This is loading/unloading in my VW Touareg TDI.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8fyyd8sfQQ
    Thanks for making the video, I think the quality is very good actually. I was shocked to see you dropping the chair onto the concrete though. Asphalt will grind down aluminum, titanium, steel, doesn't matter. I've seen the effect. I've armoured my Tilite TR with black ABS plastic strips where it contacts the ground when I break the chair down. SCI_OTR gave me the idea. I'm planning to do that with my Icon too. I'll have to be creative to cover the bottom edge of the seat base.

The plastic is light weight and I think looks good. It's cheap and when it goes, it's replaceable. I'm concerned for your Icon, I've seen footrest tubes ground half way through from dragging across asphalt.

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    Thanks for making the video, I think the quality is very good actually. I was shocked to see you dropping the chair onto the concrete though. Asphalt will grind down aluminum, titanium, steel, doesn't matter. I've seen the effect. I've armoured my Tilite TR with black ABS plastic strips where it contacts the ground when I break the chair down. SCI_OTR gave me the idea. I'm planning to do that with my Icon too. I'll have to be creative to cover the bottom edge of the seat base.
    Agreed. Easy does it, Jeff. Show your Icon some love.

I gasped when I saw the chair being dropped! Mine is so new I really baby it to keep the paint new as long as possbile. I freak out when people load my chair roughly.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    Thanks for making the video, I think the quality is very good actually. I was shocked to see you dropping the chair onto the concrete though. Asphalt will grind down aluminum, titanium, steel, doesn't matter. .
    Agreed, specially the fist impact to the camber tube when he took out the fist wheel, and it`s an adjustable camber tube, so all days a few impacts like that and...

I prevent grind in mine with marathon plus, just stick it with loctite glue, never have a problem and work perfectly because the rubber absorb the hits on the ground and even the noise of the hit.

You know the way kids sometimes open their mouths, and tears are streaming down their faces, but no noise is coming out for like, 45 seconds, and then there's this sound that happens, that can't be described, but dishes break?

Yeah. That happened when I watched the video.

@jschism - Tip it up on the armrest of your door to take the wheels off.

Tip it up so that the back is resting on the armrest, take off the inside wheel, put it in the back.

If you need to, move the chair closer to the truck, take off the outside wheel, put it in the back.

Then you don't have to reach all the way down to the ground to pick up your frame - it's just sitting there, leaned up against your door.

@elarson - THAT IS NOT WHAT CHAIRS "HAVE TO ENDURE".

Seriously, you guys all want us to build chairs that don't weigh anything, are indestructable, and cost less than a tricycle at Wal-Mart, and then when you get them, you beat them like a dog that won't listen.

EVERY TIME YOU DROP AN ICON ON THE GROUND, AN ANGEL LOSES ITS WINGS!!

ANGELS!!!!!!!

I must say, I cringed also......

I remember the first time I accidentally dropped my chair face first from my van. Tears flowed as I wiped gravel from the front bends of my week old ZRAII.............

I couldn't imagine dropping a piece of fine art like the ICON.

I leave my old chair in my truck and leave my icon in the backyard. I don't wanna break it down an mess it up an it saves me some time. If I'm with someone I just have them put it in the bed of my truck assembled. If not it just stays in my backyard

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Agreed. Easy does it, Jeff. Show your Icon some love.
    yowsers, Icon offer a extended warranty plan?

Wow that Scared me. I freek out when my chair gets dropped. 1 because that my mobility and I wouldn't drop my legs. 2 because I have to fight like hell 2 get the equipment I need. and 3 repair costs aren't cheep. 4 I want my chair to look nice not beat up. . I also get very very up set when someone doesn't strap my chair down right for transport.