Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 280

Thread: Pics/remarks of Icon?

  1. #211
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    There's a 9 incher in my neighborhood I've taken with my Tilite TR and that is a HARD landing. I don't plan to come off something that high everyday, jeez, but it's nice to know that if I have to I won't have that horrible jolt. Oh did I feel it the last time I took that one.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ovkKJIkHGM
    Another bit of threadjacking, but does everybody take a curb like that? When I go off a high curb, or any curb, I try to flatten out so all four wheels hit the ground at the same time. I have very good trunk control, so I lean my body forward on impact to take some of the shock, rather than sending it up through my spine. It is possible that leaning forward puts some of the impact into my legs and down on the footrest, since I have a bit of leg strength. That make sense to anyone?
    Just watching that video made me cringe a bit...I'd never take it straight like that.
    I'd much prefer to do it with suspension, obviously.

  2. #212
    Senior Member grommet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,693
    It's how I learned to take curbs. I would like to come off flatter, it would certainly help when coming down stairs. I will practice, I do need to improve and I am hoping that with the help of the suspension on the Icon and the very small adjustments I can make, I will be able to do better. I've had to learn a lot on my own with some help from friends. I'm proud of what I've accomplished. It was less than two years ago I'd never come off a curb or gone up one and I was terrified to ride on an escalator. I've done a lot :-)

    Thanks for the tip on landing.
    Last edited by grommet; 01-11-2012 at 04:47 PM.

  3. #213
    Senior Member DaleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Tidewater, VA
    Posts
    5,408
    I lower myself down as gently as possible while holding a wheelie with my hands tight on the tires. Anything 10" or less and I come down without a hit at the bottom. I've been lucky so far, in 5 years of chair use I've been able to avoid needing to navigate anything higher. Knock on wood!


    Quote Originally Posted by taziar View Post
    Another bit of threadjacking, but does everybody take a curb like that? When I go off a high curb, or any curb, I try to flatten out so all four wheels hit the ground at the same time. I have very good trunk control, so I lean my body forward on impact to take some of the shock, rather than sending it up through my spine. It is possible that leaning forward puts some of the impact into my legs and down on the footrest, since I have a bit of leg strength. That make sense to anyone?
    Just watching that video made me cringe a bit...I'd never take it straight like that.
    I'd much prefer to do it with suspension, obviously.
    __________________

    He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

  4. #214
    Senior Member ~Lin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,070
    grommet, I can't see the video. Can you approve me or however that works? I'm Lin171 on youtube.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

    I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

  5. #215
    Senior Member grommet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,693
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    I lower myself down as gently as possible while holding a wheelie with my hands tight on the tires. Anything 10" or less and I come down without a hit at the bottom. I've been lucky so far, in 5 years of chair use I've been able to avoid needing to navigate anything higher. Knock on wood!
    That's pretty much what I do and when I get it right, it's a soft landing. Sometimes it's not a soft landing and I do feel it. I have had people tell me to take less of a wheelie and I need to learn that. My way has been working pretty good but I think the landing mught be softer if I can land on all fours or closer to it. Oh and I'll pass on 10 inch curbs. I told myself I wasn't going off anything higher than that 9 incher unless I had some one else's chair or one with suspension.

    In a few weeks, I'll have one with suspension :-)

  6. #216
    Senior Member grommet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,693
    Lin wrote: "
    grommet, I can't see the video. Can you approve me or however that works? I'm Lin171 on youtube."

    I PM'ed you :-)

  7. #217
    Senior Member jschism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Posts
    2,167
    Took my Icon to Six Flags Great America for some rollercoaster riding. Was a little worried about transfers without the "frame" to grab on certain rides(mostly the wooden coasters where I have to comeup and make the gap to chair), so I took my ZR2 along just in case. I had absolutely no problems and the suspension made for a great smooth ride all day, especially on the wooden walks on some of the older rides. The whole concerns over the frame issues have NEVER been a problem with the Icon, it is very easy to adapt to not having anything to grab there.
    I rode around in my ZR2 for a day since I haven't used it since xmas, man it felt hard and I could feel every little bump and crack. The shock truly makes a BIG difference.

  8. #218
    Senior Member grommet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,693
    Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    Took my Icon to Six Flags Great America for some rollercoaster riding. Was a little worried about transfers without the "frame" to grab on certain rides(mostly the wooden coasters where I have to comeup and make the gap to chair), so I took my ZR2 along just in case. I had absolutely no problems and the suspension made for a great smooth ride all day, especially on the wooden walks on some of the older rides. The whole concerns over the frame issues have NEVER been a problem with the Icon, it is very easy to adapt to not having anything to grab there.
    I rode around in my ZR2 for a day since I haven't used it since xmas, man it felt hard and I could feel every little bump and crack. The shock truly makes a BIG difference.
    Wow, thanks for the report. These are just the kinds of things I am hoping to hear about. A few more weeks and I'll start posting myself on my Icon. :-)

  9. #219
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    TexasWheelz accurately depicts today's environment. It isn't a market driven system and too often the word "customer" to a manufacturer refers to the dealer and not the end user. While there are no doubt good RTS/ATP/DME's out there (jakeyboy1 being one of them), many DME's do little more to an ultralight manual chair than drop it off.

    I am a seating clinician who knows a lot about today's custom mobility products, but I will be the first to admit that I know little about contemporary bicycle shocks. I have a feeling I am not alone.

    While I strongly believe end users must assume as much responsibility for their equipment as possible, they need accurate information.

    Could you provide clarification on the following...

    - Does the base Fox Float R shock have a lock out feature? From what I can tell from their web site and your order form, this does not appear to be the case.

    - Can a shock pump like this $25 model or this $29 model on the Fox website also be used for inflating a high pressure tire (provided it has a Schrader valved tube)?

    Those of you who have owned a mountain bike and used a shock pump might find it amusing that I am clueless on the subject of shock pumps. Then again, that's my point.

    If the shock pump isn't provided with the chair and one can not assume that their chair will be set to the psi that they provided in the specs, this should be clearly stated on the order form.

    Still, I can't help but think that it makes good business sense to include an essential tool that costs less than 1/2 of one percent of the cost of a modestly equipped A1. At least offer it as an option on the order form at MSRP so that the end user is aware they will need one. That way, you are empowering end users to assume responsibility for dialing in their suspension.

    Leave it to your dealer network to provide the "educational" portion of adjusting the shock during the delivery process.

    Besides, who wants to find an iPad under their Christmas tree only to discover they can't use it because the charger is sold separately?

    I agree with this 100%. If it wasn't for me reading this thread and I purchased one of your chairs I would have never known I would need a shock pump.

  10. #220
    Quote Originally Posted by SequinScandal View Post
    I agree with this 100%. If it wasn't for me reading this thread and I purchased one of your chairs I would have never known I would need a shock pump.
    Icon offers a shock pump available to order with the chair, as of a month or two ago.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 34
    Last Post: 01-17-2012, 04:26 PM
  2. racial remarks no joking matter
    By Foolish Old in forum Life
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-01-2006, 11:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •