Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Pics/remarks of Icon?

I found the same thing with a softly sprung suspension, I was amazed at just how often it activated when I first started using it. It's well worth a couple hundred extra grams, IMO!

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    that is the folding back, I'll get some pics of it.
    No, it does not have any quick release clamps.
    I can reach the lockout by reaching through my spokes on the LX wheels, otherwise No with other spoke wheels.
    I'll get to the freewheel after I get chair dialed in. I think it will work fine, but I need to find my other mounts that came with my freewheel to go with the smaller footplate on the Icon.
    It's amazing the size ranges available with just one chair.
    So far I really like it, it will take some getting use to and I'll need to find a different way of loading the chair into my backseat since it doesn't have removeable sides.
    The shock comes not charged, so I haven't gotten a good feel for the suspension. I did notice however, rolling around just in the house on hardwood floors with a really spongey shock, how many bumps and jolts you actually take in a chair. If it's that noticeable inside, imagine all the bumps/jolts/ vibrations while rolling around outside of the house. It's almost scarey to think our bodies are absorbing all that shock.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    The shock comes not charged, so I haven't gotten a good feel for the suspension.
    Does a shock pump come with the chair? IMHO, if it doesn't, it should. (Especially given the price.)

Is your shock the base or upgraded version? If it is the base version does it have a lockout feature?

Quote Originally Posted by juggular View Post
    I plan on giving a review this weekend. Just need to find the time. Been using it for a week and am liking it, not sure how I sat in my other chair for so long.
    That is the review I was expecting :-) I'm figuring that's just how I'll feel. Can't wait to try some of the steps and curbs I do all the time in my TR.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    Does a shock pump come with the chair? IMHO, if it doesn't, it should. (Especially given the price.)

Is your shock the base or upgraded version? If it is the base version does it have a lockout feature?
    I have some real concerns here. A big part of me wanting the chair, besides the suspension, was being able to make easy adjustments while I am out. Especially the front end. Seeing the Icon videos I assumed the quick release clamps would be there so I could just slide the front end in and out easily. If have to go searching for a wrench and get the wrench just right into the bolt, that would well, kind of suck I think. I have also been wondering about the shock pump. I have a floor pump that goes to 165lbs, figured I could use that though there is a shock high-pressure shock pump available for sale at the Fox website. Figured I might need to get that.

Jeff, will you update us on how the chairs are set up now? Are the adjustments still going to be possible quickly while your out during the day?

Okay, just watched the "Growing an Icon" video again. Definitely no quick release levers for adjusting the front end. I'm disappointed, I really thought that would have made it easy to just slide it in and out. Wrenches make me nervous (though I realize they are necessary for most of the other adjustments). Trying to find a wrench in my bag menas bending and reaching and that's no fun for me. Also getting the wrench set in the bolt head just right without rounding or stripping is tough for me. My plan has been to stretch the front out quickly when I need to and run it back in again just as fast.

Maybe I'll figure out a way and I do trust Jeff and Christian to know what's best but the levers sure made it look easy.

Regarding the shock arriving not arriving charged is confusing since you are asked what weight you want when ordering. Maybe it's not safe to ship something that's pressurized.

I attended a presentation of the Icon a few weeks ago and the demo model had the quick release clamps. If the production models are not shipping with them -- SCI_OTR's surmise re this sounds like a likely explanation -- I'm sure it will be simple and inexpensive enough to swap them out for lever clamps.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    One could go to their local bike shop or online and buy the quick release clamps and assume responsibility for the possibility of having the front end fall off. I have a fancy 3 wheeled wheelchair with a quick release lever on the front and it is not as practical as one might think.
    @ SCI_OTR - I should have the upgraded shock, I'll have to double check when I charge it. No shock pump with the chair, no bigee for me. If I can't do it, my local bike shop loves seeing all the stuff I bring to them.

Shock pumps are inexpensive & easy to find. Heck, even the $15 air compressor I bought at Walmart to keep in the back of a car will work up to 300psi.

--
    questions got answered :-)
    Last edited by grommet; 12-31-2011 at 04:13 PM.

We're setting up the chair with base components that can be upgraded, and in many cases purchased at bike shops - the clamps that hold the front end into the frame fall into this category. The decision to put non-quick release clamps on the base model had nothing to do with liability issues, but everything to do with keeping the price as low as we could.

Every single upgrade that we include in the base chair is multiplied many times over when it goes out through the distributor/dealer network (as it is in any industry). This was one of the principal complaints in our previous effort - we had an "all-in" price, with all the bells and whistles, and the price was way out of line.

It's way better from an msrp point of view for the end-user to go to your local bike shop, and get them to outfit you with a couple of quick release clamps, or to order them from one of dozens of on-line bike retailers that discount them down to close to cost, instead of adding margin onto them.

The reason that we're not including the shock pump with the chair is partly for that reason, as well as because of a philosophical perspective/position.

High end mountain bikes that are at a similar price-point as the Icon don't come with a shock pump included from the manufacturer. If someone goes to a retailer/dealer and buys a bike, they can often successfully negotiate the inclusion of a shock pump from them.

That's the correct way for those "extras" to be included, and this is one way that we're trying to push this industry to have a more consumer-service focused dealer network like it is in the bike/car/electronics/everyother industry.

The other reason we're not including a shock pump is (as a few folks here have correctly commented) because any high-pressure pump with a schraeder valve will work on the shock - ideally, the pump should have a gauge to tell you how much pressure is going into the tire/pump, and we're assuming that most people who use a premium wheelchair already own a high pressure pump with a gauge.