Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Pics/remarks of Icon?

Well you can do that with some other chairs. You can get a ZR with a sling seat, sling back, crap wheels/tires, no side guards, push handles...etc. and then go back and buy a carbon back, carbon seat, carbon side guards, better wheels, better brakes...etc. So while I you can turn a ZRA into a ZR you can turn a bare bones ZR into a much lighter ZR with more bells and whistles that insurance wouldn't pay for.
    Most everything I say is

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasWheelz View Post
    Well you can do that with some other chairs. You can get a ZR with a sling seat, sling back, crap wheels/tires, no side guards, push handles...etc. and then go back and buy a carbon back, carbon seat, carbon side guards, better wheels, better brakes...etc. So while I you can turn a ZRA into a ZR you can turn a bare bones ZR into a much lighter ZR with more bells and whistles that insurance wouldn't pay for.
    I think the point was that even with a ZRA2 or a Q7, you cannot make a wider/narrower or longer/shorter seat. cannot make the wheelbase longer if you get a TiLite that is a little too short frame length. backrest angle adjustment is a joke on those, icon has a simple turnbuckle, that you easily adjust while even sitting in the chair, try that on others. Most adjustable chairs have a very limited range for COG and seat heights, Icon has a very wide range and easily adjustable. The handling/maneuverability of the Icon is just as good, if not better than my ZR2.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post

OK, I'll back of the Twinkies. Seriously, I'll concede that my posteriorus is adorable and (mercifully) there is still some skin left to pinch, but I'm not getting much lift off from it.

Does this chair make my butt look big?

Perhaps so, but having been personally involved in Medicare/caid fraud and abuse investigations, I've seen it all. Up coding/down coding is one of the most common abuses of the US Medicare system. I've been involved in medical licenses being revoked, businesses being lost, felony convictions, and HUGE fines. All specifically related to the act of up/down coding on billings. It's real, not grey, to me. I guess it comes down to what you know, and where one's expertise and experience with these matters come from, as to whether or not it's confusing.

As a DME, one can 'get away with it'. This may be seem confusing.

Also, as a DME, one can bill for a stock K0005 chair, and then sell non-covered options over the counter at retail, for that chair.

However, both billing for a service or device not performed or delivered, and balance billing are both, factually, against the rules. CMS rules are federal law, being drafted and ratified by Congress.

I know it happens every day. Part of my job used to be spotting it in the terabytes of Medicare/caid claims data that flowed past my desk, everyday!

Eta: I absolutely concede there may be some reg or exclusion for DME re: balance billing that I am unaware of. The rule book is thick.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAdams View Post
    @DaleB - the way you characterize it is a bit overstated I think - it's a grey area which I don't understand very well, and is a bit of a moving target - I don't envy the dealers who have to navigate these waters.

The modularity of the Icon is a benefit here, and was part of our strategy in the concept stage of the Icon - we had a lot of friends who had glass ceilings on the amount of money they could spend, and we quickly saw the mistake we had made last time around with an "all in" price.

Without violating any laws or statutes, an end-user can buy the base model of the Icon, using whatever funding/allowable they have to pay for it.

They can then (after delivery) use whatever other means they may have available to them to upgrade parts to get the top of the line version of the chair (carbon seat, sideguards, etc). This helps the end-user get the equipment they need, and also helps get the DME out of a potentially awkward legal grey zone.

No other manufacturer has a design that allows this to happen - eg. if you buy the Invacare A4, you can never upgrade it to the level of a T7A - it's just not possible, same as if you buy an Aero Z - you just can't upgrade to a ZRA2.

As an example, with the Icon, you can buy the base model, use your funding, and over time (with private funds or once your annual insurance allowable resets) buy an upgraded carbon seat that saves 1.5 pounds from the laminate one.

We wanted to provide the opportunity for the end user to build their dream chair over time if financial constraints (driven by funding models or just personal financial realities) made it necessary.

The laminate seat has all of the functionality of the carbon, but in exchange for a lower cost, there is a higher weight. One of the foundation principles was to maintain full functionality from the base model through to the version with all the bells and whistles.
    Last edited by DaleB; 01-04-2012 at 03:57 PM.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Does this chair make my butt look big?

Oh yeeeeeahhh....giggity giggity....

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    Perhaps so, but having been personally involved in Medicare/caid fraud and abuse investigations, I've seen it all. Up coding/down coding is one of the most common abuses of the US Medicare system. I've been involved in medical licenses being revoked, businesses being lost, felony convictions, and HUGE fines. All specifically related to the act of up/down coding on billings. It's real, not grey, to me. I guess it comes down to what you know, and where one's expertise and experience with these matters come from, as to whether or not it's confusing.

As a DME, one can 'get away with it'. This may be seem confusing.

Also, as a DME, one can bill for a stock K0005 chair, and then sell non-covered options over the counter at retail, for that chair.

However, both billing for a service or device not performed or delivered, and balance billing are both, factually, against the rules. CMS rules are federal law, being drafted and ratified by Congress.

I know it happens every day. Part of my job used to be spotting it in the terabytes of Medicare/caid claims data that flowed past my desk, everyday!

Eta: I absolutely concede there may be some reg or exclusion for DME re: balance billing that I am unaware of. The rule book is thick.
    I defer to you on the heart of what you're saying but to be clear, breaking a Federal law is not a felony. It's a felony if the statute is listed as felonious. I worked for the National Park Service and we had all sorts of laws governing us and our visitors, some were misdemeanors, others felonies. It might surprise you what things are in each category, it can seem whimsical. I'm going off topic I think but as an ex Federal employee who had to deal with this stuff everyday, I itched to say something :-)
    Last edited by grommet; 01-04-2012 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAdams View Post
    <the Icon is> currently coded as a K0005, which we're appealing. The coding folks recently coded the Marvel as a K0009, and when I was there, I pointed that out to them, but their previous opinions didn't seem to inform their present ones. We'll keep pushing to have it coded as a K0009.
    Jeff, why are you appealing? What's the advantage of K0009 coding over K0005. I think a K9 coding would put it out of reach for many people because Medicare pays nothing toward a K9. What am I missing?
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by jakeyboy1 View Post
    I looked and looked, I don't see a "code" with a MSRP of $4295 it must be K0009. Is that correct?
    See attachments.

Source: https://www.dmepdac.com/dmecsapp/do/search

We're just re-vamping our order form to call out all the HCPCS codes.

Interesting timing on the other chairs coding - a six month gap between approval for the K0005 and the K0009 - seems like they must have appealed the decision a number of times.

The strategy behind the K0009 coding is because of our price-point. We're trying as hard as we can to keep the price low, but we have an enormous amount of technology in the chair, and our fabrication quality is a step above anyone else in the industry.

We have a true K0005 chair is almost through the design phase, and as soon as we can, we'll start on the engineering process, so the A1 (which is truly a K0009 if there ever was one) will be our K0009 chair, and we'll have a K0005 offering that will be added to our line.