Thread: Colace

Colace

I just got back from the dr. and I asked if I could have a higher dosage of my colace pills. He said they don't come in a higher dosage than 100 mg. Is this correct? The doctor also told me to increase my Miralax instead of the colace. I don't agree with that because I have read on here that we need at least 500 mg of colace. This means I'll have to take at least five colace pills a day to get the 500 mg. that I need. I get a prescription for these so they don't cost as much. They are $17 OTC, but the only ones I saw OTC where also only 100mg. Now I will be left with buying some over the counter so I can take enough dosage.
    Last edited by faith9778; 12-28-2011 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by faith9778 View Post
    I just got back from the dr. and I asked if I could have a higher dosage of my colace pills. He said they don't come in a higher dosage than 100 mg. Is this correct?
    Rugby Laboratories sells 250mg docusate sodium capsules. The capsules are on the larger side, and I found them slightly difficult to swallow compared to multiple 100mg tablets, which are, however, more expensive per gram.
    Last edited by xsfxsf; 12-28-2011 at 01:59 PM.

who gave you the rule that u need 500 mg of colace? the more you take the less it will work, and it is a poison-chemical, where miralax is alot easier on your system. The dr. was right, cut back on the colace and keep your softness regulated thru the right amount of miralax........but u do what u think is right for you.........

Quote Originally Posted by airart1 View Post
    who gave you the rule that u need 500 mg of colace? the more you take the less it will work, and it is a poison-chemical, where miralax is alot easier on your system. The dr. was right, cut back on the colace and keep your softness regulated thru the right amount of miralax........but u do what u think is right for you.........
    Your physician is wrong. It does come in 250 mg. doses; in fact at our hospital, we no longer even carry the 100 mg. capsules. We commonly give up to 1000 mg. daily (four capsules of 250 mg.).
    Here are some suppliers http://www.google.com/search?q=docus...&aq=f&aqi=&aql=

DSS (Colace) is one of the safest drugs on the market. It is not a poison, even in large doses. It is not systemically absorbed. It does not soften hard stool...it prevents excessive water from being absorbed by the gut.

Fiber works differently. It increases peristalsis, so move the stool through the gut faster, reducing the time stool has to get dry and hard.

Both are important for your bowel management. Many people, esp. those on anticholenergic meds and opioids require the use of a stool softener to avoid hard stools even if they are taking the recommended 30 gm. of fiber daily.

(KLD)

Colace -- generic brand

I looked at the colace in Wal-mart and colace was almost $16 for a bottle. The generic brand was right beside it and it was under $2. I compared the ingredients and they both had 100 mg. of docusate sodium as the active ingredient. Neither the name brand or the generic brand had any other ingredients. Now I just noticed on my prescription bottle that I was given the the generic brand anyway. 100mg was the only dosage they had.

I have been taking the prescription pills some but I don't take them regularly since I don't have enough to cover for the month. So I plan on using it to supplement for my presciption. I thougt about starting out taking 3 of the generic and 1 of the prescitpion. Equally 400 mg. of docusate sodium a daily. Does this sound okay to do? I figure I can just start taking the generic only, after this months prescription is gone.
    Last edited by faith9778; 01-30-2012 at 02:40 PM.

The prescription, the OTC generic, and the OTC name brand are all the EXACT SAME THING. Taking three generic and one prescription will yield the same results as taking four generic.

Since stool softeners work to prevent stool from getting too hard but will not soften already formed stool, you must take stool softeners every day to get the best results. It's safe to take as much as 1000mg/day, so 400mg/day is a good starting dose.

In my experience, docusate sodium works best when it's taken twice a day. If you want to start out taking 400mg a day, take 200mg every morning and night.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

We give 200mgor 250 mg twice a day. I think f it helps you you probably jsut nmeed a larger dose. We don't use 1000mg very often.I would recommend an increasein Colace before increasing the Miralax.
    CWO

I took 3 100mgs. of Stool softner last night 3 again this morning and was planning on taking another 3 at bed time. That would be equaling 600 mg. a day. I wanted to take 600 mgs. for a couple of days because I have been backed up the past few days. I know these pills don't soften already hard stool, but I had a BM not to long after I took these pills this morning. I am wondering do these pills stimulate you to have a BM or do they just keep your stool soft to help keep things moving more smoothly?

a stool softener with plain colace.
    CWO