Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: What motivates you to keep fighting...

Hello Mike,
    I read some of this thread and would like to make a few comments. This is my belief system only and may have no bearing on any one else. But for what it is worth, this is how I see it.
    I am a father of one son. I believe this is a great responsibility, no doubt the greatest responsibility I will ever undertake. Once I became a father, my life is not about me but about raising him as well as I can and being a role model. My son watched my adaption to SCI over the past 10 years very carefully. He was 11 year old at the time. He witnessed how I battled through pain, loss, tears, multiple physical setbacks, multiple surgeries, so many I can't count them. How you deal with adversities will make an indelible and potentially positive impression on your child and it will be your greatest gift to them. I'm sorry for my losses too and my personal fulfillment but once you have a kid, that is your prime responsibility so lift your chin up and demonstrate to your daughter how to deal with the inevitable adversities and loss that life delivers to most people. I think if you keep this in your mind, it makes dealing with all the bullshit of SCI easier and gives it a high purpose.
    Good luck, brother.
    arndog

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Adaptive motorcycles have been around since 1977; or at least that's the first time I saw one. A budd of mine Bernie Blezeko fromPrince Eward Island built it and the DMV in Vancouver actually approved.

There has to be a disabled riding club somewhere already.
    I think that there is one in Tennessee, but that is a long way away from where I am. I think that they are more Cruiser oriented too.

Don't let anybody tell you anything about yourself. You know your body better than anyone and sure you might have to come to terms with not being able to do as much or as well as you used to, but you are still very much able.
    I did look at this post once before, and come to find out that I was injured after you. I do not know your story/how you currently deal with your situation. I know that waking up every morning with a smile on your face is one of the best things you can do for yourself. Just try it for a week and then tell me different!
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. -- John Lennon

Hopefully this won't piss you off too much but have you actually tried to do any of the job related stuff since you've been injured or did you automatically assume that they couldn't be done?

I know of at least two and maybe 3 para automotive mechanics, one para small engine mechanic, one of the above para mechanics used to do heavy truck mechanics. I've even heard rumours of a aircraft maitenance engineer in a chair (AME is Canadian version of american A&P mechanic) It's going to be slow and frustrating as hell when you start but with your smarts I would think you would be able to figure out ways of doing a fair number of those tasks you used to do. Surely there must be bench work/compodent overhaul work you can do at the very least?

http://bcpara.org/wp-content/uploads...pring-2011.pdf Here is the link to one of the mechanics I was mentioning, It's page 12 in the table of contents.

read steve garros posts, he's similar to you as far as injury goes, he's wheelchair bound, builds bikes for a living and gets more out of life than most able bodies, read in his posts in the exercise forum under "what workout did you do today"
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"