Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rewalk - good enough?

Rewalk - good enough?

If there is no cure in our life times how many of you would consider a device like the Rewalk to be a satisfactory compromise? The guy on the website seems to ge around very well................it may be a lot healthier than using a wheelchair for many years as there is apparently no strain on the upper body

just feeling very depressed today andI'm convinced no natural cure is going to get me walking again - I have been really shitty to my mother all day - I was never like this before my accident, I was a gentleman - I hate myself

Dear Chris,
    I understand how you feel and we all want to walk again. I was injured about five years ago and I am a T-10 complete. My old life I ran at least 25 plus miles a week and ran many races, marathons etc. in my lifetime.
    Is the Re-walk great? Hell no. We all rather have a better fix. But for now it is the only thing that lets me stand up, feel good and look a person eye to eye.

Yes, I think we all get depressed and always look back at our lives. My injury made me humble and to appreciate things I never did before. I wish I could tell you what you want to hear.
    I have found if I have a bad day or I am miserable , just go somewhere by yourself and cool off. If my wife is around, I try to stay away not to take my fustration out on her. Tell your mom your very sorry and you were having a bad day. It will make them feel better. Only SCI people now and understand what we go through. I wish you a very Blessed & Healthy New Year. Take care,
    Best Regards,
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Paddon View Post
    If there is no cure in our life times how many of you would consider a device like the Rewalk to be a satisfactory compromise? The guy on the website seems to ge around very well................it may be a lot healthier than using a wheelchair for many years as there is apparently no strain on the upper body

just feeling very depressed today andI'm convinced no natural cure is going to get me walking again - I have been really shitty to my mother all day - I was never like this before my accident, I was a gentleman - I hate myself

I would! I'll take anything that improves my life. This website, lighter wheelchairs, better medical diagnostics and so many other things have improved my life with a SCI over the last 20+ years.

Hang in there Christopher, I think better things are coming in the not too distant future.
    Last edited by Patton57; 12-28-2011 at 07:39 PM.

**I have been really shitty to my mother all day - I was never like this before my accident**

I feel the same way...today i really had it with myself and threatened to do stupid stuff more than once. I hate myself everytime it happens :0(
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. -- John Lennon

Truer words were never typed.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeMonte View Post
    Only SCI people now and understand what we go through.
    Joe
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMonte View Post
    Dear Chris,
    I understand how you feel and we all want to walk again. I was injured about five years ago and I am a T-10 complete. My old life I ran at least 25 plus miles a week and ran many races, marathons etc. in my lifetime.
    Is the Re-walk great? Hell no. We all rather have a better fix. But for now it is the only thing that lets me stand up, feel good and look a person eye to eye.

Yes, I think we all get depressed and always look back at our lives. My injury made me humble and to appreciate things I never did before. I wish I could tell you what you want to hear.
    I have found if I have a bad day or I am miserable , just go somewhere by yourself and cool off. If my wife is around, I try to stay away not to take my fustration out on her. Tell your mom your very sorry and you were having a bad day. It will make them feel better. Only SCI people now and understand what we go through. I wish you a very Blessed & Healthy New Year. Take care,
    Best Regards,
    Joe
    So you couldn't see yourself using it as a wheelchair substitute permanently? What about that guy in Israel?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Paddon View Post
    So you couldn't see yourself using it as a wheelchair substitute permanently? What about that guy in Israel?
    It couldn't be used permanently due to the pressure sore issue. Along with the problem of edema forming in the lower extremities that would also be a cause for pressure sores. I can see quite a few areas on the Rewalk "exo-skeleton" that would be prone to pressure sores, especially on the soles of the feet. Also quite a few where the straps- velcro and other types- bridge the skin.

And lets not even get into the cost of it. I know Medicare would laugh you off the phone if you ever tried to get it approved. :-)

Our osteoporotic bones would also be prone to easy breakage. We all know that no matter how well we'd learn to walk with it that falls would be an inevitability. I don't know how many hours a day we'd need to spend upright to keep our bones from becoming osteoporotic. If you're a chronic SCI and a few years or more post-injury you'd need to slowly work your way up to replace all the bone loss already suffered. And to stretch our tendons, ligaments and joints etc.

I see it more as a piece of exercise equipment that kills two birds with one stone. As you're getting to where you want to go you're exercising at the same time. And it wouldn't have the boredom factor so associated with stationery exercise equipment. Even able-bodied people complain about that.

And for those who wrote in the negative in the thread about people staring at ya because you're in a wheelchair- you better get a change of attitude. That thing is LOUD and looks like you just got off the set of a George Lucas' "Star Wars" sequel. The upside to using one would be "in addition" to a wheelchair. It would be great to spread out the pressure sore prone areas like an able-bodied person does naturally everyday.

They tried a somewhat similar idea 30 years ago. One at the U of N. Carolina with just a "small" computer controlling the leg muscles with external wires and electrodes. At first they started out with external wires and I think electrode patches that attached to the leg muscles via wires like FES. But they had difficulty keeping the patches on the skin and the wires from being accidentally pulled off and just generally getting in the way.

And for a better connection they "refined" the idea by implanting everything under the skin. Well the whole idea really wasn't much more than an experiment and never worked very well even as computer technology advanced. So these "guinea pigs" ended up having a bunch of wires and electrodes inplanted under their skin that couldn't be pulled out. They were very fine wires and I think the skin and muscle grew around them. I remember looking at x-rays of all the broken pieces of wires in this one fellow's thigh. I imagine he (though there was more than one participant) eventually went through some very unpleasant surgery (thank goodness he couldn't feel it... I hope!) to have them removed... or maybe they were or some of them were just left in place like they do with many bullets. And even though "informed consent forms" were signed there were still lawsuits filed. One day ya love your researcher/doctor and the next you're suing his ass off!

Anyway, I'm glad they're working on things for us SCIs but the way to get us to walk is biological. We gotta get our spinal cords accurately regenerated across our injury site. This way we have a bladder, bowels and SEX back in our lives.

In order to make us as able-bodied as possible I wonder if the Rewalk has a compartment built into it for storing ED pills, a Caverject kit and a strap-on dildo with lube!

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

But when is a biological solution ever going to happen........and the issue of bone weakness and ligaments etc still remain

i am getting very depressed again - how do you all stay on an even keel knowing we're in these chairs possibly forever?

Exoskeleton suites will be improved dramatically within next few years thanks to GRAPHENE - new material (one atomic layer of Carbon).
    In the same time we will see numbers of new and some successful human trials on SCI recovery.
    If we scream louder could we be able to accelerate life?
    I think YES!!!
    www.MiracleofWalk.com

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
    to what we know about nature
    Saint Augustine

There seems to be two main players in this market - Rewalk and Ekso (formerly Berkeley) Bionics.

From what I understand, although they have similar products they have a very different philosophy at the moment. Rewalk is already being sold for home use whereas it is impossible to purchase the Ekso eLegs. Ekso are currently only planning on providing their kit to rehabilitation centres. They have been working with the Kessler guys to perform a study on a group of patients by augmenting it with some biofeedback device. See http://youtu.be/HcSEL4FDAVs

I believe that a pan-european study is being planned right now in many of the top SCI rehab centres in conjunction with Ekso Bionics. The protocol is still being defined.

Personally, Im 100% behind a biological cure! And I believe it WILL happen. But a lot of work needs to be done still. If an exo-skeleton can be augmented with biofeedback and FES for rehabilitation purposes then I will support it. If people are just going to buy the device and have it collecting dust in the corner of the lounge after a couple of weeks then Im against it!
    Last edited by Fly_Pelican_Fly; 12-28-2011 at 09:04 AM.