Thread: Any lawyers or law students?

Any lawyers or law students?

I'm considering going to law school but I'm concerned about the demands of the job. I've spoken to many able bodied lawyers and they have all said the job can be both physically and mentally draining. As a C5-6, I'm concerned about being able to handle the work while also dealing with the effects of SCI (mainly feeling like crap half the time). Does anybody have any advice? Even those with jobs outside of law that have demanding jobs, I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grizz08 View Post
    I'm considering going to law school but I'm concerned about the demands of the job. I've spoken to many able bodied lawyers and they have all said the job can be both physically and mentally draining. As a C5-6, I'm concerned about being able to handle the work while also dealing with the effects of SCI (mainly feeling like crap half the time). Does anybody have any advice? Even those with jobs outside of law that have demanding jobs, I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks
    It is a draining job but I have seen several with injuries similar to yours do it. Perhaps you should visit a nearby law school and talk to a counselor.
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

I graduated from law school in May and am now licensed to practice in Oregon. I'm also C5/6 complete. I can offer the following advice:

1. Law school itself is physically and mentally grueling. I attended a four-year part-time program that allowed me to get through it at a slower pace.

2. It's important to work during your summers in a law office, as a judicial intern or in a similar capacity. Plan accordingly. This lets you try a bunch of different work environments.

3. I'll be working at a large law firm beginning in September. Until then, I'm volunteering through Legal Aid to get litigation experience and doing research/writing on a contract basis. I work as little or as much as I want.

You can go in many directions as a lawyer - work for a firm, work for yourself, work in-house at a company, work for a government entity. Bottom line - you can craft your own workplace environment to suit your needs. I manage to be fairly independent in my working life, but it takes planning and practice. Let me know if you have specific questions. I'm happy to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
    I graduated from law school in May and am now licensed to practice in Oregon. I'm also C5/6 complete. I can offer the following advice:

1. Law school itself is physically and mentally grueling. I attended a four-year part-time program that allowed me to get through it at a slower pace.

2. It's important to work during your summers in a law office, as a judicial intern or in a similar capacity. Plan accordingly. This lets you try a bunch of different work environments.

3. I'll be working at a large law firm beginning in September. Until then, I'm volunteering through Legal Aid to get litigation experience and doing research/writing on a contract basis. I work as little or as much as I want.

You can go in many directions as a lawyer - work for a firm, work for yourself, work in-house at a company, work for a government entity. Bottom line - you can craft your own workplace environment to suit your needs. I manage to be fairly independent in my working life, but it takes planning and practice. Let me know if you have specific questions. I'm happy to help.
    Congratulations!
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.