Thread: whiplash and other problems

whiplash and other problems

Last Thursday, I got hit by a car while crossing the street to get to my bankruptcy lawyer's office. Though my manual wheelchair took the brunt of the impact, I still sustained some minor injuries.
    I have a couple bone bruises and whiplash. Nothing was broken. After a couple of days, the bone bruises have felt a little better, after having ice packs on them for the whole Christmas weekend. But, the whiplash still is very achy. I can't turn my head to the left or right, or look downward without pain.

How long does it take before whiplash pain goes away? Also, should I have my PT look at my shoulders, since the right shoulder got hit? Would a TENS unit help with the whiplash pain? Currently, I am taking Naproxen and a Rx muscle relaxant (I can't remember the name of it, though).

Did you see a physician? Have Xrays? Was the driver insured?

I would want to know that you did not sustain more serious injuries before you make any settlement with the driver's insurance.

Once you have seen a good orthopedist or at least your physiatrist to assess both your whiplash and your shoulder, then some PT would probably be a good idea. TENS may be an option to help with some of the pain, as long as you don't have old spinal hardware right in that area.

(KLD)

I did go to the ER as soon as I got hit. Because I complained of neck and shoulder pain at the scene, they restrained me on a backboard with one of those cervical collars and tape across my forehead. I was retrained for 3 hours before they did a CT Scan. The scan didn't show anything broken at all, so the ER doctor told me that I had probably sprained my neck and lots of bone bruises on my left side.
    But, since last Thursday, the pain in my neck hasn't gone away and there is a huge lump on the side of it that hurts. My caregiver checked my neck and told me that she thinks I might have a mild case of whiplash. I can't see my primary doctor until next Tuesday, when she is back from vacation. Should I go back to the ER and have it checked out again?

Does your physician have someone covering? Do you already have an orthopedist, or can the covering physician refer you? Xrays and CT may not show soft tissue (ie, tendon and ligament) injuries, and ER physicians are really not expert in diagnosing these more subtle injuries.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Does your physician have someone covering? Do you already have an orthopedist, or can the covering physician refer you? Xrays and CT may not show soft tissue (ie, tendon and ligament) injuries, and ER physicians are really not expert in diagnosing these more subtle injuries.

(KLD)
    I will call and check and see if someone is covering for Dr. Davis. I hope someone is, because this neck pain is getting on my nerves.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbagump View Post
    Last Thursday, I got hit by a car while crossing the street to get to my bankruptcy lawyer's office. Though my manual wheelchair took the brunt of the impact, I still sustained some minor injuries.
    I have a couple bone bruises and whiplash. Nothing was broken. After a couple of days, the bone bruises have felt a little better, after having ice packs on them for the whole Christmas weekend. But, the whiplash still is very achy. I can't turn my head to the left or right, or look downward without pain.

How long does it take before whiplash pain goes away? Also, should I have my PT look at my shoulders, since the right shoulder got hit? Would a TENS unit help with the whiplash pain? Currently, I am taking Naproxen and a Rx muscle relaxant (I can't remember the name of it, though).
    hey bubba,

strange to read this. I got rear-ended last thursday in my car on the highway by a driver who got rearended into me by another car and fled the scene of the accident. I too believe i have whiplash. Although I didnt go to the hospital at the time of the accident, I am going to go to my orthopedist this week to be checked out. I have frozen shoulder in my left shoulder, nerve impingement syndrome and muscle weakness on left side shoulder as well, so doesnt help the situation. To me it felt like I was hit with a base ball bat at the base of the neck and shoulders, some difficulty with range of motion in my neck as well. pretty sore overall.

My main concern I guess, is just my fusion surgery at C5-7 that was done 2 years ago this month. I am concerned about the discs above the site. I want to make sure that all is ok, so that in the future if there is a problem, it will be covered under auto insurance. I am taking muscle relaxer too, and was using ice. It seems to get a little better but any sudden movements are somewhat problematic.

I hope u feel better soon..

Mary, sounds like your myofascial release therapist might be helpful here! And the same type of treatment might benefit bubbagump. Hope you both get better soon, without complications of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    Mary, sounds like your myofascial release therapist might be helpful here! And the same type of treatment might benefit bubbagump. Hope you both get better soon, without complications of any kind.
    you're right bonnie, probably would be ideal, although i don't know that that therapy would be covered, of course. I'm feeling a little better day by day, still sore though. I think im just more concerned about any discs possibly bulging above my plate. thanks

Right, I hear you about those discs. One of the most agonizing things about injuries is having to wait and see what develops (or doesn't). Fingers crossed for a full and uneventful, longterm recovery.

Sorry to hear that Bubba and also Mary as well about the injuries ,it sucks whith that kind of neck injury and some times takes at least a few days or more before you can even move your neck without any pain .
    But one concern that I have for you both is do NOT sign anything from the person at faults insurance or lawyers office. They can come back to haunt you , keep records of every call and Dr visit and pain that you are going through.
    I have been through injuries that in BEFORE I even thought of approching the company from a fall due to their bad ramps their attournies where calling me like I was the one at fault and they acted like I was going to sue them. It was never in my mind about sueing them but their att where on me like I had sent them a warnig that I was taking them to court. So watch your selves because these lawyers will start on you as soon as they get the report for insurance.
    All I wanted ( the store where I fell ) to fix their ramps to fill in the holes at the end of the ramp and so far , and I beleive , because I did not get an attourney , they STILL have not fixed the ramp. So I quit going to that store..
    Sorry for the long post but just want to let the both of you to know (which I think you both do ) that once you sign off for something they can just wash their hands of you and any future problems that come up go to you..
    Gary
    T-10 ,,1980,,