Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: help... workplace issues

They terminated me due to medical reasons(so they say anyways). I'm no longer employed. I tried to reason with them. I argued with them. I told them I was going to file a compliant with the ADA. They gave me a separation package.

I wish you luck, my wife is actually talking to an attornee today, we are probably going to file discrimination suit against her employer. He is not willing to make reasonable accomodations , becuase of her disablity and is also creating a hostile work environment for her. Keep me posted on how things go with your complaint, and I will also send you information, that our attornee informs us with respect to the ada suit. Peace

Quote Originally Posted by nmireles View Post
    I wish you luck, my wife is actually talking to an attornee today, we are probably going to file discrimination suit against her employer. He is not willing to make reasonable accomodations , becuase of her disablity and is also creating a hostile work environment for her. Keep me posted on how things go with your complaint, and I will also send you information, that our attornee informs us with respect to the ada suit. Peace
    Thank you

Blog Entries
    I'm so sorry you're having to go through this, but in my uninformed view of things, it seems like they are giving you a gift by being so overt when violating the ADA. I agree it seems better to go where you might feel more comfortable, and certainly I have to accede to others who have a better idea how action might affect future employers, but my instinct is to urge you to not let them get away with it unscathed. I know how demoralizing it feels when the environment is adversarial, but try to remember that that is their failing and not yours. By the sound of things, you were on the correct side of the law, and of basic decency.

In addition to everyone else's points, I add that the ADA requires them to engage with you in an "interactive process" to try to resolve things. Did that meeting they invited you to ever take place? Did they tell you concretely what they found problematic about your performance, and solicit your ideas about potential solutions?

Collect all your documentation now while things still are fresh. Save any correspondence. Get copies of any performance reviews. Record any voicemail messages. Try to find non-threatening ways to get any witnesses to write down their recollection of things. If your work involves clients, try to find a subtle way to get positive feedback from them. And consult an attorney ASAP to get the proper advice regarding immediate action.

Good luck!

It is my understanding that the ADA has no real financial teeth. You might win a moral victory but I don't think you'll be compensated for your trouble (probably < $10K which is jack sqwat). Confirm this with your lawyer or a doctor who provides expert testimony in cases where one's ability to work is an issue.

Our society and country is wired for productivity not towards making things right. You'll find that even doctors, psychologists, nurses, lawyers and other professionals pay a very small price for very aggregious offenses against innocent human beings and are back practicing within a year or two in another town. This is a little off topic but hopefully illustrates that the game is not about making things right or fair it's about money.

If an employer doesn't like you or thinks you're trouble they can very subtly crank up the heat on you and have your co-workers throw elbows at you all day long and they will eventually add up no matter how strong you are. They can also give you bridge to nowhere assignments, transfer you to a division where you can be laid off more easily and all sorts of other dehumanizing things. Keep fighting but fight smart by getting excellent consulation not someone doing their first "material" ADA case, otherwise I think you might be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Patton57 View Post
    It is my understanding that the ADA has no real financial teeth. You might win a moral victory but I don't think you'll be compensated for your trouble (probably < $10K which is jack sqwat). Confirm this with your lawyer or a doctor who provides expert testimony in cases where one's ability to work is an issue.

Our society and country is wired for productivity not towards making things right. You'll find that even doctors, psychologists, nurses, lawyers and other professionals pay a very small price for very aggregious offenses against innocent human beings and are back practicing within a year or two in another town. This is a little off topic but hopefully illustrates that the game is not about making things right or fair it's about money.

If an employer doesn't like you or thinks you're trouble they can very subtly crank up the heat on you and have your co-workers throw elbows at you all day long and they will eventually add up no matter how strong you are. They can also give you bridge to nowhere assignments, transfer you to a division where you can be laid off more easily and all sorts of other dehumanizing things. Keep fighting but fight smart by getting excellent consulation not someone doing their first "material" ADA case, otherwise I think you might be disappointed.
    Really good advice
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

I dunno, I filed a lawsuit under the ADA and it went very well. I did have lots of documentation and witnesses

Quote Originally Posted by Cripply View Post
    I dunno, I filed a lawsuit under the ADA and it went very well. I did have lots of documentation and witnesses
    Was your settlement sealed or is it out there for the public to view?
    Last edited by Patton57; 03-21-2012 at 06:45 PM.