Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: help... workplace issues

I will find out if I get to go back to work sometime next week. I'll be okay if they let me go except for health insurance. That worries me.

Although I have nothing beneficial to add, I just wanted to say good luck. You have my sympathy for what it's worth...

Quote Originally Posted by novanoin View Post
    I will find out if I get to go back to work sometime next week. I'll be okay if they let me go except for health insurance. That worries me.
    You seem to be taking a passive attitude... You might be better served to look for work at places that value you...Good luck anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Cripply View Post
    You seem to be taking a passive attitude... You might be better served to look for work at places that value you...Good luck anyway
    The company wants to set up a meeting with me and my VR counselor for tomarrow, but my VR counselor is out out of the office all of this week.

I have invested just over 6 years into this company. I just figured if they are going to treat me this way, then I rather work somewhere else. Like you said, someplace that values me. I'm just tired of fighting with human resources over as they term it "the restrictions of your disability".

I've thought about Voc Rehab's offer to send me back to school to get my bachelors degree. I have my associates degree just can't do anything with it. I went to a two year junior college and graduated. I was registered to transfer to a four year school but things got in the way.

Going back to school sounds like a really good plan if you can.

If they are that worried, you are bound to have future problems. If your state is an "at will" state, they can fire you for no reason and you would be really hard to prove it was related to your disability if they are consulting with a really good attorney.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by novanoin View Post
    Do you have long term disability benefits through company? If so I would definitely file for it since they claim they are laying you off due to disability reasons.

I would hunker down and make them fight to get rid of you while collecting that paycheck. Stay for years if possible. Don't count on other employers being more "open" to your disability. Company's are trying to cut costs and the premiums that a disabled person adds to their bottom line can be a big one.

Am I wrong to suggest you somehow film yourself performing your job?

Anybody?

Lawsuits are a terrible PITA, but it might be nice to win one, LOL.

Also, La Mem's right. Keep your head on a swivel!

Quote Originally Posted by gpbullock View Post
    I would hunker down and make them fight to get rid of you while collecting that paycheck. Stay for years if possible. Don't count on other employers being more "open" to your disability. Company's are trying to cut costs and the premiums that a disabled person adds to their bottom line can be a big one.
    No no no no. Don't be a defeatist. Believe in yourself. Go back to school and specialize in something where your disability is an asset. Become a counselor, or a computer person, or whatever you like.

Novanoi, You definitely have rights under the ADA, as specified by ancientgimp. They are required to make reasonable accomodations or find another postion that you can do, prior to requesting you take medical leave. You need to document everything, it's very easy to file a formal complaint. Definitely pursue a complaing , so you have something in writing showing them , that you will not take this and you are adamant, and feel you are being discriminated against. My wife is having problems with her empoyer now she has ms. We are using every bit of leverage and protectiont that ADA gives us. You can even aproach them and say not only are you, discriminating against me solely on my disablity, which is one thing they are doing wrong, but also tell them, your implication has also created a hostile work environment. Take the time to read the ADA laws. You have rights, my wife simply told them, ok do me a favor , and told her company to contact their lawyer, so they don't put themselves in the position to receive a formal complaint from your states attornee general. You are definitely covered under the ADA. You value your job, and your quite capable of working and you are put in a corner that you will take every means necessary to fight them over this. Your simple action of telling them that might help. This should be no cost to you with your states attornee general. good luck