Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Graduation Project.

My Graduation Project.

Hey guys, I am a sophomore in high school. You might be wondering why am I even posting on this site. Well, there's a good reason for that. I am looking to learn about people with Spinal Cord Injuries. I am doing a protect at my school about it. I am considering in going to a Medical field to help those in need with injuries like this, and get to understand more and more if what it is like and how it feels to have a spinal cord injury.

I would like to a little statics course, I am going ask some questions. I am hoping you will be able to help me. I am going to ask a lot or some personal questions. If you prefer to answer that question then please write:: I prefer not to answer. I mean this for a protect at school. So, I need as much information as possible.

Q1:: When and what happened to you when you had your spinal cord injury?

Q2:: Do you remember anything on that specific day or after your injury?

Q4:: What level injury are you at?

Q5:: Is your injury complete or incomplete?

Q6:: Do you have any feeling, movement, sensation, numbness, etc below your injury? If so, what kind of feeling is it can you describe it?

Q7:: Do you use a powerchair or a wheelchair? What kind?

Q7:: Has a spinal cord injury had a major impact on your life?

Q8:: Does it have an effect on sexual relationship with your partner?

Q9:: Do you have a lot of pain or muscle spasms with your injury? Is it above the spinal cord injury or below it?

Q10:: Are you able to walk?

Q11:: How did you react and how did your family react to your injury?

Q12:: Are you seeking treatment for your injury?

Q13:: Has your injury ever make you feel worthless or depressed?

Q14:: Were you on a ventilator after you first experienced your injury? Are you one right now?

Q15:: Do you any other information that you would like to say or comment on about your spinal cord injury. Any kind of information helps me more and more with this project. Please message me personally if you feel like you could help me more. Also, if you feel uncomfortable to post your personal business maybe you could send me a private message?

you should put it up as a survay. that way everone has a form and can answer easier, as well as it will be better for you to gain info from in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    you should put it up as a survay. that way everone has a form and can answer easier, as well as it will be better for you to gain info from in the long run.
    How can I do that?

Im not sure, I have seen people do that for school projects like yours.

we have a poll feature that Dr Wise just posted in new posts, but they only allow a few questions at a time.
    Last edited by jody; 12-22-2011 at 03:56 PM. Reason: cant spell

I imagine there are some people here who might want to participate in your project, but not if it requires them to post their answers in a public place like this one.

The way this kind of thing usually works, you gather respondents first, then send them a survey to fill out in private, and they send it back to you for analysis.

If I were you, I would set this thread up as a kind of opt-in list people can put their names on (people can post in here saying 'I would like to participate in this', or something to that effect), and then you send those people a private message to make further arrangements with them. They could either give you their e-mail address so you can send the survey directly to them, or they could send you a PM back with their answers to your questions.

I'd be the first one to opt into this, if it weren't for the fact that I'm not part of your target population (I don't have a spinal cord injury, myself).

Good luck, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Saranoya View Post
    I imagine there are some people here who might want to participate in your project, but not if it requires them to post their answers in a public place like this one.

The way this kind of thing usually works, you gather respondents first, then send them a survey to fill out in private, and they send it back to you for analysis.

If I were you, I would set this thread up as a kind of opt-in list people can put their names on (people can post in here saying 'I would like to participate in this', or something to that effect), and then you send those people a private message to make further arrangements with them. They could either give you their e-mail address so you can send the survey directly to them, or they could send you a PM back with their answers to your questions.

I'd be the first one to opt into this, if it weren't for the fact that I'm not part of your target population (I don't have a spinal cord injury, myself).

Good luck, though!
    I suppose I could do that. I understand what you saying. I mean I did ask a lot of personal questions, I know I wouldn't want to post my personal business on this site, but yet it is for a project, but yes I understand. Do you know anyone that has a spinal cord injury?

http://www.questionpro.com/a/showLibrary.do
    here is one place, but I think there may be others that are easier to use and free.

Not in real life. I know a few people who have spina bifida (similar to spinal cord injury in its effects on physical abilities, but it's a birth defect). Personally, I just come here for the bad jokes (no, not really: I came here to get advice on the purchase of a wheelchair, and then I just kind of stuck around).

If you're looking for a decent number of SCI'd people who might be willing help you with this project, though, I don't think you'll find a better place than this website.

I'd participate if you move it out of a public forum. I'm more than happy to answer your questions, but not for everyone to see. Feel free to message me if/when you decide to make those changes.

Quote Originally Posted by maggie~mae View Post
    I'd participate if you move it out of a public forum. I'm more than happy to answer your questions, but not for everyone to see. Feel free to message me if/when you decide to make those changes.
    Thats fine. I would be more than happy to do it in private.
    You can send me a private message or I could email you or you could email me. We can figure something out.