Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SCI and Divorce..

I went through a divorce when the youngest of my three children was two years old. It was a very difficult period but, almost twenty years later I consider being involved to have been well worth the effort. I am/was an incomplete crutch walking C5 quad. The physical part of it was a challenge but, where there is a will there is way.
    My father was killed in a work related accident when I was five and I did not want to see my kids go through the same things I did growing up.

As long as you have a safe home, financially stable and agree to child support, I can’t see how the judicial system can deny joint custody.

I have three hard working, considerate young adults that are very respectful of me. It’s worth fighting for!

Quote Originally Posted by metronycguy View Post
    why do you need t needically cleared t drive? is t ia state law within DMV.
    epileptics with uncontrolled seizure may not be cleared , especially if they are not compliant
    but why do you need to be cleared? i am askinf cause dont let them use it anything against you if it is a discriminatory law , call it out,
    if it is not a law . do not let them use it against you.
    In california you have to get rectified to drive if you have an sci.

well if I can get a cali license anyone can. It did take me a couple tries, and the last one I was nine and a half months pregnant, and the guy says, " while looking in terror at my huge beach ball tum and says you're gonna keep coming back every day huh? runs his fingers trough his comb over, .................It came in the mail while I was in labor.

anyway, even if you were dependent on the trolly and bus system to get around, still didn't make me an unfit parent. You can call a cab if you need to. always have cab fare enough to get to the hospital stashed, and you can get a hospital taxi voucher to get home if you need to. (I had a sick kid).
    anyway, having a plan in place for emergencies, like taxi money, or extended family available is all you need if you are unable to drive is important. that holds up in divorce court too.

Depends on the state but most will take a statement from an OT that you can drive. Most insurance covers the few OT appointments so they can sign you off. Almost always a one time thing. Having the sign off should stop your car insurance company from discriminating by charging you more.
    I have friends who are low quads who have had sole custody.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by metronycguy View Post
    why do you need t needically cleared t drive? is t ia state law within DMV.
    epileptics with uncontrolled seizure may not be cleared , especially if they are not compliant
    but why do you need to be cleared? i am askinf cause dont let them use it anything against you if it is a discriminatory law , call it out,
    if it is not a law . do not let them use it against you.
    MetroGuy: I live in a mid-Atlantic state and my licence was suspended when they found out I had a SCI. I had to go to drivers ed with an OT, have on the road training for hand controls and then be re-tested by the DMV. My file was left open for 3 years until they confirmed compliance with pain medication and all medical appointments.

Some states over see your return to driving while others will allow you to put hand controls on your car and drive with no adaptive drivers ed.

To the Original Poster---I agree with SCI Nurse--Through the looking glass is where I would turn to. Another option would be a legal clinic in a law school.

Good luck
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Quote Originally Posted by nauticalmike View Post
    Not sure what rectified is, but you do not have to be re-licensed to drive with hand controls in CA. If you have had a seizure, then you do have to be certified as seizure free before you can drive again, but that is not something applicable to the discussion of driving with hand controls.

Some people choose to get re-licensed in CA, or to take another driver's test at the DMV once they are driving with hand controls, but it is not required.

(KLD)

Try to find a divorce attorney that uses a wheelchair.

Quote Originally Posted by nauticalmike View Post
    Dammit, don't tell me the gays have taken over the dmv!
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Not sure what rectified is, but you do not have to be re-licensed to drive with hand controls in CA. If you have had a seizure, then you do have to be certified as seizure free before you can drive again, but that is not something applicable to the discussion of driving with hand controls.

Some people choose to get re-licensed in CA, or to take another driver's test at the DMV once they are driving with hand controls, but it is not required.

(KLD)
    That was supposed to be re-certified, damn spell corrector. And because of my paraplegia when my doctor learned that I was driving he did some consulting with other doctors and he reported me to the DMV and having partial paraplegia in my legs that might affect my ability to operate a motor vehicle. Or something to that effect. Then DMV sent me an appointment time that I had to go to and meet with their disability person. She then required me to take an on road driving test. If I missed the appointment of failed to do the on road test they would have suspended my license. I don't use hand controls though, so I have no reason to doubt that you are correct. Also based on my prior experience with the california penal codes I have no reason to question what you say. It is probable that unless A doctor feels that a patients driving could potentially endanger public safety then DMV would never even question it. Itt would make more sense to road test anyone applying for a disabled placard in my opinion, but maybe that's just me.

Sounds like your Dr. Reported you under the unsafe driver law. They started here in MO. Anyone can report you as unsafe, and you have to get Dr. To sign off on your safety. We think it was a DMV clerk who reported my wife a couple of years ago. This can happen at any time. This was the 2nd time for my wife who has CP. I contacted the director of the Dept. in charge, explained that her condition was not progressive, she had provided documentation previously and asked that that cover her in this case. Director agreed and flagged her file so any future unsafe reports would be caught before hassling us. Here's a link to the reporting info. http://dor.mo.gov/forms/4319A.pdf