Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rewalk device??

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    You find a way. I've found that if I really want something I just start with the idea I can't do it, it's impossible and then I go ahead and start working towards it. You never know what can happen once you start your own momentum. Sometimes people and opportunities start showing up. My thoughts on the subject :-)
    I'm not saying that I wouldn't try to figure something out. I was just saying that if the opportunity came around tomorrow, I wouldn't be able to just jump right on the band-wagon. Trust me, everything I have in this life I have worked for so yes, I agree with you. However, there have been things that I have tried very hard to achieve and have still come up short regardless of how much I wanted it. So pure will is not always the answer.

Becky
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

very true, becky, may quads cant do certain things no matter what, same with paras, may times the false thought that many other people that do not know the whole particulars, saying trying harder will make it happens turns is counter productive and can turn into permanent damage to the injured persons body parts. i know that.from my experiences. its salmost as bad as saying
    if you pray harder it will happen,
    i dont think so .
    cauda equina

"I'm not saying that I wouldn't try to figure something out. I was just saying that if the opportunity came around tomorrow, I wouldn't be able to just jump right on the band-wagon. Trust me, everything I have in this life I have worked for so yes, I agree with you. However, there have been things that I have tried very hard to achieve and have still come up short regardless of how much I wanted it. So pure will is not always the answer.

Becky"

No, it isn't. I learned that the hard way. I used to think if a person was brave enough and believed enough, they could do anything. Well, you can't. Some things aren't going to happen no matter what you do.

That said, I have found that I can do more than I believe. I surprise myself. It's a funny balance you have to find between trying to do more than you thought you could and still being reasonable. It ain't easy ;-)

ReWalk - how it was funded

ReWalk was developed by an Israeli company, Argo Medical Technologies who collaborated with Allied Orthotics & Prosthetics, a US company based in Elkins Park, PA. The project was funded by the US-Israel Binational Industrial R&D (BIRD) Foundation - which provides up to $1 million (50% of R&D) for collaborative R&D between US and Israeli companies with innovative technology. See: www.birdf.com for more info. To find out about other interesting technologies coming from Israel and the US, see our Facebook page: www.facebook.com/BIRDFoundation

This update regarding, "Rewalk" posted to my Facebook news feed today. Looks cool; thought I would share...

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/health...ir-feet/nMdpK/
    Incomplete, SCI, T1-T8, w/ Arachnoid Cyst. Bilateral shoulder surgeries, 2 on the left, 3 on the right, right forearm surgery for a crushed radial nerve.

"We can always choose to perceive things differently. We can focus on what's wrong in our life, or we can focus on what's right."
    — Marianne Williamson

More 1st for exsokeletons, 1st device used for a marathon!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17743915

A response fromm Geoff's Facebook page, "Isn't it about time we accepted there is nothing wrong with being in a wheelchair? Exo-skeletons are neither cure nor solution. Apart from helping circulation, users do not regain the feeling and function in their bodies. 100% of users will revert to wheelchairs because, quite simply, they are more efficient. Get over it. Move on.
    Geoff Holt, "

Regardless of any device used for mobility, at the end of the day, we lay down in bed relieved that finally we are "free."

LizZenU

Badass Paralyzed Woman Finishes London Marathon in a Bionic Suit

http://gizmodo.com/5908524/badass-pa...-a-bionic-suit
    After 16 days of an agonizingly slow process, a paralyzed woman has become the first person to complete a marathon in a bionic suit. Talk about an inspiration.
    Claire Lomas was paralyzed front the chest down in 2007 when she was thrown off her horse and broke her neck, back, and ribs, and punctured a lung. Ordinarily, people who sustain these kinds of injuries will never walk again. Many don't even survive.

But Lomas did. And after extensive rehab, she found her way into a ReWalk suit. The $70,000 bionic system uses motion detectors powered by an onboard computer system to do the unthinkable: Enable people to walk who can't do so on their own. When the person wearing the outfit shifts her balance, indicative of wanting to take a step, the suit responds the way an able-bodied person's joints would.

Which is miraculous enough for just getting around the house. But Lomas was determined to take the ReWalk on a 26.2 mile grind. Which is why she lined up with about 36,000 others on April 22nd at the start of the London Marathon. She walked about two miles each day, accompanied by her husband and 13-month-old daughter. A little over two weeks later, she crossed the finish line.

Lomas won't receive a medal. She won't be included in the official competition results. But while people finish marathons all the time, maybe none of them can say they overcame quite as much to get there. [The Telegraph]

Image credit: Peter Macdiarmid/Getty Images