Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Christmas Cookie?

Your Favorite Christmas Cookie?

In an earlier thread I posted pictures of how our favorite Christmas/Holiday cookie is made.

What is your favorite Christmas Cookie? Any pictures?

Happy Holidays,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 12-21-2011 at 02:18 PM.

Krumkake with cloudberry cream. I have made krumkake this year, I think it was bad KLD made every year and I didn't
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post

Krumkake with cloudberry cream. I have made krumkake this year, I think it was bad KLD made every year and I didn't
    We love krumkake!!! Cloudberries, I have had those over vanilla ice cream in summer!!! Yum!!!

I read in the Wall Street Journal about the butter shortage in Norway caused by overly wet weather this spring and summer. I know when NL and I have visited Norway, we have joked that it seemed like butter was a major food group for Norwegians. But, with butter costing about 270NOK (about $45.00 US) for 500 grams (about 1 pound), I'm sure Christmas baking and other butter laden dishes will be in short supply this year. I hate to tell you, but NL bought butter on sale here today, 2 pounds (about 1000 grams) for $6.00 US (about 35NOK)

Hope you can still indulge in some goodies!!

All the best,
    GJ

Today I made Triple Chocolate Peppermint brownies - http://www.thegalleygourmet.net/2011...-brownies.html

and butter tarts - http://allrecipes.com/recipe/Butter-....aspx?prop31=4

and snickerdoodles

later on tonight I'll finish up by making whipped shortbread - http://allrecipes.com/recipe/whipped...es/detail.aspx

hoping to do gingerbread men on Christmas Eve if I can find my cookie cutter.
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    We love krumkake!!! Cloudberries, I have had those over vanilla ice cream in summer!!! Yum!!!

I read in the Wall Street Journal about the butter shortage in Norway caused by overly wet weather this spring and summer. I know when NL and I have visited Norway, we have joked that it seemed like butter was a major food group for Norwegians. But, with butter costing about 270NOK (about $45.00 US) for 500 grams (about 1 pound), I'm sure Christmas baking and other butter laden dishes will be in short supply this year. I hate to tell you, but NL bought butter on sale here today, 2 pounds (about 1000 grams) for $6.00 US (about 35NOK)

Hope you can still indulge in some goodies!!

All the best,
    GJ
    The butter crisis is some kind of funny but it is true the weather was terrible this summer, five days with sun and over 20C. The rest was only rain or gray sky and a little cold.
    The prize of the butter you are talking about is on the black market, but nobody is buying. I saw English and Hollandian butter in the shop today - too expensive of course - 0,5 pound for 7 dollars. Usually the price for a pound is about 3 dollar. I did buy 2 pounds for normal price in the shop two weeks ago. But that I am going to use on crispbread and smoked-cured ham and lamb. I have made cakes with margarine and oil, I am not that fancy that I really need butter
    TH 12, 43 years post

My favorite are frosted sugar cookies. I'm a sucker for the Christmas trees even if they taste the same as the stars and Santas.

i made some awesome carrot cake cookies yesterday for a party .. first time try, came out so good, carrot cake the size of cookies --- sooooo good.
    www.facebook.com/lipperfaces
    recipe is on my page above

:0)
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. -- John Lennon

emm...i just made the same recipe but added dark chocolate chips instead of the raisins and half the batch added dates....emmmm!!

its a winner

Quote Originally Posted by LIP26 View Post
    i made some awesome carrot cake cookies yesterday for a party .. first time try, came out so good, carrot cake the size of cookies --- sooooo good.
    www.facebook.com/lipperfaces
    recipe is on my page above

:0)
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. -- John Lennon

One of my favorites is Speculaas (also known as Speculoos), a spice cookie that dates back to the middle ages. We make a variation with a little sour cream in it that really brings out the flavor.

I made both krumkake and fattigman bakkels last weekend. The fattigman is in the freezer (they grow green hair VERY quickly if left out at room temperature) and the krumkake are in a Tupperware container. Our tradition is that we are not allowed to eat these until after dinner on Christmas eve.

Here is the fattigmand recipe we use:

Fattigman Bakkels

6 eggs
    6 TB. heavy cream
    6 TB. sugar
    6 TB. melted butter or margarine
    4-5 cups flour
    Cardamon seed, fresh ground, 1 TB.
    Vegetable oil

Beat eggs. Beat in sugar, then cream. Add 1/2 cup flour, beat well, then add melted butter to mix well, and gradually add enough flour to make a stiff dough (it will still be a little sticky). Chill, roll out very thin and cut with Fattigman cutter. Fry in hot oil until golden.

Some dust these with powdered sugar, but we like ours unsullied. All I have to do to be transported to Christmas time, regardless of the time of year, is to take a deep wiff from a container of cardamon seeds!

We also do not stuff our krumkake. Plain is our ideal.

I am putting up the tree today.

(KLD)