Thread: UTI help?

UTI help?

I went to the doctor a few weeks back initally to help treat my back pain because I have scoliosis. They had me do a urine test and it came back positive for a urinary tract infection. I've had one before, years ago, at the same time of having mono, and that was some of the worst pain I've ever been in. I was bent at a 90 degree angle, couldn't stand straight at all, had to be carried into the car and into the hospital. And along with having mono, I was hospitalized for 4 days. All because I was misdiagnosed with both of these! And the first time I had seen a doctor about it, I had an allergic reaction to the meds, and that didn't help at all. This time around, I didn't know the name of the antibiotics I had taken before, so I took what the doctor gave me. On the way home, I couldn't keep anything up. It was a full 24 hour allergic reaction before a cortizone shot kicked in. I couldn't even lift a fork. The medicine that doctor gave me was called Bactrim. Apparently I have a sulphur allergy and it's very common. By the time the cortizone kicked in and I was trying to rest in bed, my arms were seizing and I was in so much pain. I went to a different doctor and he prescribed me Macrobid, which I've done great with. He gave me 2 days worth of the antibiotic until I got my check. But when I went to pick it up? Didn't realize it was a $41 prescription. I couldn't cover that and especially can't now since I'm recently laid off. The week of the allergic reaction, I had to take off 3 days (I worked in a factory) and was laid off that following Friday. Great before the holidays, huh? Is there any way of getting rid of this with something else like cranberry juice, or blueberries or something else? Keep in mind that I still haven't found a replacement job, so I'm limited on money to buy supplies. But if anyone could help me, I would be so very much appreciated.

Sorry, but you do need to take all of the antibiotic as prescribed. Cranberry juice, etc. is a PREVENTIVE measure for UTIs, and is not appropriate or safe for you to use for treatment of an active infection. I assume you have no health insurance. Are you not eligible for Medicaid?

You also need to take a more active role in your own health. If you have allergic reactions to any medications, you need to pay close attention to letting any providers know this when you get new medications. You need to pay more attention to the names of medications, and ideally should have a card or bracelet that lists your allergies. An allergic reaction like this can kill you.

(KLD)

I don't have insurance or qualify for medicaid. And the first time I had taken that medication, I thought I was just throwing up because I took it on practically an empty stomach. It was nothing like this last one. I'm not allergic to anything else and since I didn't know that was an allergic reaction the first time, I didn't report it so they couldn't record it in any documents. They have it now, of course. But I can't afford this medication. I honestly don't have anyone to help me out with it either and my boyfriend and I are struggling a great deal just to barely make ends meet. I'm really not sure what else I could do. Also, when I went to a different doctor during my reaction, he gave me 2 1/2 days worth of the antibiotic Macrobid, which worked fine for me..Is that apparently not enough to help get rid of it?

Quote Originally Posted by JackiG View Post
    I don't have insurance or qualify for medicaid. And the first time I had taken that medication, I thought I was just throwing up because I took it on practically an empty stomach. It was nothing like this last one. I'm not allergic to anything else and since I didn't know that was an allergic reaction the first time, I didn't report it so they couldn't record it in any documents. They have it now, of course. But I can't afford this medication. I honestly don't have anyone to help me out with it either and my boyfriend and I are struggling a great deal just to barely make ends meet. I'm really not sure what else I could do. Also, when I went to a different doctor during my reaction, he gave me 2 1/2 days worth of the antibiotic Macrobid, which worked fine for me..Is that apparently not enough to help get rid of it?
    No JackiG, 2 1/2 days of any antibiotic is not enough to get rid of a bladder infection (urinary tract infection, UTI) The general rule for the able bodied population is about 7 days and for spinal cord injured 10 to 14 days. You may want to look into some alternative programs in your county that may be able to help you with medications you can't afford. There are also free clinic programs that you may need to investigate in your community.

All the best,
    GJ