Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Working, Wanting to Work & Not Working...

South Side of the Potomac ..... IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER
    Great news! Hoping for the best, and if all goes well, a smooth transition into a dream JOB!

Good Luck Kyle!!! Can't wait to hear the details
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Woodland, CA, USA Old male, T12 incomplete TM 2004
    I was retired for a year when I acquired my SCI so I am not looking for work.

However, I thought I would share my experience when I was still able bodied and worked as a manager for a couple of counties. I worked for the two counties for a total of 25 years and was either in charge of "buildings" or had influence over "building" decisions. For all of the 25 years I "acted" as an advocate for the wheelchair bound trying to make sure that the departments would be ready to hire a wheelchair bound person and not wait until someone applied for a job to consider how to make the building wheelchair accessible. I say "acted" because I really had no comprehension of all of the problems people with SCI face each day. But I did make sure that desks were far enough apart so a person in a wheelchair could get through and bathrooms were accessible, etc.

The point of this story, however, is that in 25 years, I am not aware of any wheelchair bound person ever applying for a job at the departments for which I worked. Most of the jobs were desk jobs and didn't require lifting or anything. I thought they were perfect jobs for anyone in a wheelchair. I never understood why no wheelchair persons ever applied.

I have a better understanding now. For those of you who work, my hat is off to you.
    TM 2004 T12 incomplete

Thanks for the kind words everyone... Well I went to my interview...it went surprisingly well. The interviewers were great and were relaxed about my wheelchair use/disability. The topic barely came up because it was really a non-issue. The position I applied for is a "desk job" so it is one I could do.
    I'll find out in a few weeks if I'm going to be offered the job...or not. Wish me luck!