Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis Co-Hosts Course to Discuss Moving Research From the Laboratory Setting to Human Trials

The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis Co-Hosts Course to Discuss Moving Research From the Laboratory Setting to Human Trials

Press Release Source: The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis

The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis Co-Hosts Course to Discuss Moving Research From the Laboratory Setting to Human Trials
    Tuesday April 1, 3:11 pm ET

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030401/dctu045_1.html

MIAMI, April 1 /PRNewswire/ -- On Thursday, April 3, scientists from The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis will lead a course on spinal cord injury (SCI) research issues associated with moving research from the laboratory to human settings. Co-hosted by the American Spinal Injury Association, the Veterans Administration Rehab R&D Center of Excellence in Functional Recovery and Chronic SCI, The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis, South Florida Model SCI System and the Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, the all-day seminar will bring together doctors, scientists and students in the field of SCI to discuss the potential results of moving research forward to the human condition.
    "Moving research from the lab to humans is paramount to our goal of a cure for paralysis. It's important to discuss these issues so the field can determine our next steps toward human trials," says Dr. W. Dalton Dietrich, Scientific Director, The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis.

The Miami Project's model of teaching and research is based on shared knowledge among the scientific community. "Courses such as these are integral to scientific advancement. It is encouraging to have everyone interact with doctors from other research disciplines. This seminar will be a great opportunity for the scientists to share and learn," added Dietrich.

Miami Project Ambassador, Marc Buoniconti will address the attendees during the last portion of the seminar to offer his perspective to the scientists regarding moving research forward and what that means to the SCI individuals.

"Many important questions need to be answered to decide what ideal therapies will be utilized to improve the quality of life for the spinal cord injured community now and into the future," said Buoniconti.

Course topics include:
    An examination of the relationship of models of injury;
    The relationship of recovery of function;
    Methods of measurement of both motor and sensory function in animals vs
    humans;

The state of the art in neuroprotection;
    Neural regeneration;
    How to confirm that a therapy works in animals prior to its transfer to humans;
    Cellular therapies including what the FDA needs to approve to move from the laboratory to human subjects;
    What the FDA is looking for in drug development;
    The issues of consumer perspective and the professional literature; and
    Comments from a leading consumer on the needs of patients with SCI.
    The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis, a Center of Excellence at the University of Miami School of Medicine, is the world's largest, most comprehensive research center dedicated to finding more effective treatments and, ultimately, a cure for paralysis that results from spinal cord injury.

The mission of the American Spinal Injury Association is to promote and establish standards of excellence for all aspects of health care of individuals with spinal cord injury from onset throughout life. Educate members, other healthcare professionals, patients and their families as well as the public on all aspects of spinal cord injury and its consequences in order to prevent injury, improve care, increase availability of services and maximize the injured individual's potential for full participation in all areas of community life. Foster research which aims at preventing spinal cord injury, improving care, reducing consequent disability, and finding a cure for both acute and chronic SCI. And to facilitating communication between members and other physicians, other health care professionals, researchers and consumers

"WAKE ME UP WHEN IT'S OVER !!!"

This sounds like good news, but it's MP?? Does anybody that has been around awhile have thoughts on this? Also, does anybody now specifically what they would like to move to human trials?

cjo,

MP doesn't excite me. They move slowly. After reading this twice, sounds like a lot of feel good fluff. Without a timeline, there is no way to measure progress. They should collaborate with other countries and clinitians if they are truly sensitive to the plight of SCI victims.

I'm not generally a big MP fan either.

However, I am encouraged that the mention of "human clinical trials" is becoming a more dominant theme within their research context.

Let's hope they move fast and get a few of us involved.

Guinea pigs unite!

A long long time ago, I made several attempts to get the MP to take an interest in my work and results with spinal cord injuries and all to no avail.I found them to be most uncooperative.I was reading this looking for meat and two veg,to see if any avenues for collaboration might be opening up, but only found a raw sprout.

Andrew K Fletcher

Originally posted by cjo:

This sounds like good news, but it's MP?? Does anybody that has been around awhile have thoughts on this? Also, does anybody now specifically what they would like to move to human trials?
    Favourite Quote:

"I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final
    word. We have flown the air like birds and swum the sea like fishes, but
    have yet to learn the simple act of walking the earth as brothers and
    sisters." Martin Luther King

The MP certainly will get an ear full from the other co-hosts (American Spinal Injury Association, the Veterans Administration Rehab R&D Center of Excellence in Functional Recovery and Chronic SCI, South Florida Model SCI System, and the Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development)if they don't move forward with some definite time-line for future trials. I suspect they are already under the gun from their contributers to move from animal to humans trials. "You can fool some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time."

It looks like....

April Fools Joke

Finally after years of best funding in US they start at least disscussing human trials

Wow!!!! What a wonderfully fantastic idea. Couldn't be that they're getting pressure after wasting millions could it?

The only pressure these guys will respond to is competition and the race for funding. If they don't get moving they're going to get run over. This in my mind is nothing more than mere rhetoric until I see results i.e real human trials.

Something's coming soon folks from the U.S., but it isn't going to be from MP. Its going to come from the grassroots level and its going to come from a no holds barred, get out of the way, or get ran over mentality.

Its then that we'll see whether MP is for real or not. My sincerest hope is that they are. But I'm not waiting on them to find out.

CURE 2005!!

Right now MP is focused on Human trials for new methods and equipment for physical therapy only!