Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: how to deal with caregiver's req for pay increase when my income remains the same? W

how to deal with caregiver's req for pay increase when my income remains the same? W

i have a very nice, good helper but she wants annual increase. my income doesn't increase so i can't sustain this. what to do?
    Last edited by cass; 12-23-2011 at 03:59 AM.

be honest, you cant afford it and that is that.
    its a rotten time to look for a new job, I'll tell you that much. I did just get a notice though that Im going from $666-690, I havnt gotten a col raise in five years.

everyone should get one, but then medicare is due to raise and it will be going down soon again.

I would say you have to tell her exactly that. A lot of places aren't giving increases in this economy, so it isn't a given that everyone gets a raise or annual increase.

And I am guessing that as much as she would like one, it isn't going to be a dealbreaker, I highly doubt she is going to quit over it.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

That's a tough one Cass. When you have someone doing a good job and don't want to lose them it puts you in a bind.
    Can you tell her that you can't afford it and try to meet her half way so she doesn't feel insulted?

she wants 15/hr, a 2 dollar raise. she isn't asked to do that much and i pay for perks, like 3 cell phones for her family. her hubby has another job interfering injury so i dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    she wants 15/hr, a 2 dollar raise. she isn't asked to do that much and i pay for perks, like 3 cell phones for her family. her hubby has another job interfering injury so i dunno.
    If you were to actually be considering it, that's a 15% bump in salary in a year where the BLS reported a 3.4% increase in CPI. However, based on your statement, it sounds like you've already made up your mind.
    Daniel

dude that is a huge raise. I didnt get two dollar raises in any job I worked. certainly not as an aid, which I did for four years.

Id get 50 cents or 75 cents an hour. once I got a buck, but I hadnt had a raise in two years.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_nc View Post
    If you were to actually be considering it, that's a 15% bump in salary in a year where the BLS reported a 3.4% increase in CPI. However, based on your statement, it sounds like you've already made up your mind.
    please explain, dan. i dunno what to do.

she wants a $2 raise and you pay for her 3 cell phones? shoot I want to come work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    dude that is a huge raise. I didnt get two dollar raises in any job I worked. certainly not as an aid, which I did for four years.

Id get 50 cents or 75 cents an hour. once I got a buck, but I hadnt had a raise in two years.
    well, yeah. she says she's been offered 20. i said take it. this is not a short term or weird person. known her for yrs. it's hard to listen to her cause i care. i care a lot.