Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jawaid: A video for you to see.

Jawaid: A video for you to see.

http://vimeo.com/24571091

This is interesting information presented that I don't remember seeing before.

Grammy very interesting and specially focused on lower injuries. Did u contact Dr Leif and find out more about his work? Can his work restore bowel and sexual function also? What combination he will be doing in his clinical trial Grammy?

He didn't say in the video that he is doing a clinical trial and I've not spoken with Dr. Havton.

I hope u can speak with him soon and find out some information soon. Lot of things coming in 2012 Grammy. Bringing life to me and my kind of injury patients.

Thank u so much Grammy for paying attention towards me. You are simply wonderful human being. God bless u

Jawaid, Dr. Havton is in the process of doing studies on your type of injury. We'll watch his progress and let you know how things go and if he'll be able to translate this to the clinic. He's doing nice work...

In his study, Havton will focus on possible treatments for injuries to the anatomically lowest part of the spinal cord, the lumbosacral portion. Injuries to that part of the spinal cord are associated with paralysis, loss of sensation, severe pain and loss of bladder, bowel and sexual function. Havton hopes to determine whether immediate transplantation of human embryonic stem cells that have been directed to form motor neurons that resemble those normally associated with the lumbosacral spinal cord may replace lost nerve cells and result in return of bladder function in an animal model of lumbosacral spinal cord injury and repair. He also hopes to determine whether delayed transplantation of human embryonic stem cells that have been directed to form motor neurons that resemble those normally associated with the lumbosacral spinal cord may replace lost nerve cells and result in a return of bladder function in an animal model. Havton will perform a variety of functional studies to determine the effect of the cell transplantation on bladder function, walking and pain. He also will use detailed anatomical studies to determine whether the transplanted cells have grown processes to connect with pelvic target tissues, including the lower urinary tract. If successful, the proposed experiments may lead to a new treatment strategy for patients with lumbosacral spinal cord injuries, which represent approximately one‐fifth of all traumatic lesions to the human spinal cord

The success of all three projects will provide the basis for investigational new drug applications to the FDA and the initiation of human clinical trials.

Injury to the lowest portion of the spinal cord, the conus and cauda equina and associated nerve roots typically results in paralysis, pain, sensory loss, and loss of bladder and bowel control. No successful treatments are presently available for these patients. Leif Havton has developed an injury model in which ventral root avulsion or tear lead to physiological and behavioral consequences that approximate those observed following trauma to the spinal cord in humans. He has also developed a repair strategy whereby lesioned nerve roots are surgically reimplanted into the cord away from the injury to reinnervate leg muscles and the bladder. A collaborative team including Geschwind and Steve Goldman are identifying new targets for therapeutic interventions in this disease, such as replacing motor neurons and delivering axon growth-promoting factors, in collaboration with the PNS group. Moreover, the APNRR has gathered a team of international neurosurgeons to devise a clinical study of the potential effectiveness of translating the ventral root repair strategy into patients at onset of paralysis.

Last edited by GRAMMY; 12-20-2011 at 10:20 AM.

Thank u dear Grammy for details.

I hope things will come soon. If bladder function is restored hopefully bowel and sexual function can also be restored. I want all my three functions back Grammy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jawaid View Post
    I hope things will come soon. I want all my three functions back Grammy.
    Ok, you're on my Christmas list.

cool beans.

So nice of u Grammy.

Few months ago nothing for my kind of injury but now three fantastic researchers for that. Wise Young, Jerry Silver and Dr Leif. Great really. Hope to hear something good from Wise soon.