Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NL experienced severe itching today

Hopefully this was an isolated freak incident.

NL had an extensive blood work up done recently. Her only deficiency was Vitamin D, for which she has been taking a prescription supplement for weeks.

She is feeling quite normal this morning as if yesterday never happened. There is no rash or residual soreness. Very weird that the the only affected areas were her hands and feet, with just a little, short lived itching up her forearms and up to her knees.

Thanks for your concern and ideas.

All the best,
    GJ

GJ, is NL having regular blood tests to monitor her Vitamin D status while she is on the prescribed supplement? Prescription doses of Vitamin D can be quite high, leading in some cases to elevated levels of calcium concentration (hypercalcemia) - which can in turn cause the kind of itching NL recently experienced. Of course, I have no idea the dose she is taking, but her symptoms sound suspicious for a peripheral neuropathy of some type that might be related to this.

NL might also be allergic to a filler in the supplement, if hypercalcemia is not the issue. The fact that her recent extensive medical workup was a result of her presenting with allergic symptoms makes me think that she was already in a sensitized state, and perhaps...perhaps...something about the Vitamin D script triggered a reactive process. If she gets into another itching situation, it might be wise for her to have her blood retested and/or switch to a Vitamin D from another manufacturer. Just a thought.

She might have some unexpected money coming in.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    She might have some unexpected money coming in.
    When the itching started and wasn't too intense, that is what I told her...when her feet began to itch, she said, "am I going on a trip too?" Isn't that what they say when your feet itch, you will tread on new ground. Both would be delightful, if they came true after she suffered through it all.

All the best,
    GJ

If her nose starts itching, she's going to kiss a fool (so said my mother, anyway)!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    If her nose starts itching, she's going to kiss a fool (so said my mother, anyway)!
    She's been kissing one of those for 43+ years!!! I said it first, before any of you got the chance!!!

All the best,
    GJ

does she use latex gloves? anything latex? I am severely allergic to rubbermaid household gloves, and what you describe is how the first reaction started. the next exposure/reaction was an er visit with hives in my throat, lungs, and on my eyeballs.

so glad I dont react like that now.
    My last reaction was last summer. I was tie dying and use rubber bands for the tie part, and GL called. stupid me, put a rubber band in my mouth to free a hand. instand hives in the mouth.
    anyway she must be allergic to something, and I guess latex if she is exposed regularly. I worked in a factory cleanroom molding iv parts. we had to luse latex gloves. the powder in them becomes permeated with tiny latex particles, and for the rubbermaid gloves it is the lining that becomes permeated and when you sweat it exposes you to latex.

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    does she use latex gloves? anything latex? I am severely allergic to rubbermaid household gloves, and what you describe is how the first reaction started. the next exposure/reaction was an er visit with hives in my throat, lungs, and on my eyeballs.

My last reaction was last summer. I was tie dying and use rubber bands for the tie part, and GL called. stupid me, put a rubber band in my mouth to free a hand. instand hives in the mouth.
    anyway she must be allergic to something, and I guess latex if she is exposed regularly. I worked in a factory cleanroom molding iv parts. we had to luse latex gloves. the powder in them becomes permeated with tiny latex particles, and for the rubbermaid gloves it is the lining that becomes permeated and when you sweat it exposes you to latex.
    She uses nitrile gloves. The only latex is my foley catheter and whenever she handles that, she is gloved with nitrile gloves. My leg bag is vinyl and my night drain "bottle" is rigid plastic.

If it was some type of contact allergic response, we can understand the hands itching, but then as her hands were starting to calm down, her feet started to itch, just as intensely as her hands had itched. We are very glad there has been no other reaction since.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post

This happened to me, TWICE. I was 13-14 when both reactions took place to latex gloves. The first pair of gloves (with powder) was used doing my bowel program. I didn't know what was going on when I got really thirsty. This was my first reaction.

The second reaction (latex gloves without powder) was the one that nearly sent me into anaphylactic shock. Heart rate and blood pressure shot up, confusion, throat nearly swollen shut, etc. BOTH times I was at home and my mom's a nurse so I avoided the ER.

These 2 incidents prompted my former pediatric Spina Bifida clinic to test every newborn to see if the allergy could be present...it was because of the constant exposure to the material. I also now carry an Epi-Pen with me.