Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mark's Roadracepowerpod road proof

LOL you're not hijacking the thread Scott. I think this is what's needed; a good discussion on the types of power assists out there. It's going to revoluntionize handcycling and allow many more to take advantage of riding. It's definitly a gamechanger.

Sounds like the Bionix would be great for a higher quad not being able to use a throttle.

I wonder if anyone is gonna try slapping one of these on their handcycles before a Marathon, lol. Might be me, haha. I mean like whats the difference somebody that has more working muscles or somebody that has a motor? I guess that would be my arguement.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    LOL you're not hijacking the thread Scott. I think this is what's needed; a good discussion on the types of power assists out there. It's going to revoluntionize handcycling and allow many more to take advantage of riding. It's definitly a gamechanger.

Sounds like the Bionix would be great for a higher quad not being able to use a throttle.
    10-4, thanks.

I think the BionX is worth trying sometime, if you have a chance. It wasn't designed w/ SCIs in mind, and it rides a bit more "naturally" – kind of like having a strong tailwind giving an extra boost.

Hey Patrick! Thanks for the feedback there. Very glad you got it all together and managed to get a good ride in. And very glad you got the same enjoyment out of it that I get.....

Would you be able to post some pictures of it?? Would love to see it on your bike

I went for a spirited ride with Kenny Herriot yesterday, it was a real blast to have TWO Power Pods out on the road together. I threw this youtube together:

We tried to go cycling with a group of fast AB riders but no one turned up for the Saturday morning ride....guess people have got better things to do on the last shopping saturday before Christmas.....

Great stuff. Are the Brits taking over Georgia
    Mark, is Kennys bike a Force "R" or something similar?

Quote Originally Posted by roller View Post
    Great stuff. Are the Brits taking over Georgia
    Mark, is Kennys bike a Force "R" or something similar?
    I know right, and Engish man, a Scotts man and rural Georgia on powered handcycles.....gotta be a joke in there somewhere lol.

Kenny has the new Force-X. You need to have a Force-R first, to discover your "size". The Force X is then custom welded to fit you; no adjustability.

Took 10 minutes to fix the Pod to his bike, and 3 minutes to strip it off again.....

Does not look like a real lot of cars on those roads, that's a good thing. I won't ride the roads anymore here in Rhode Island or Florida, just too many cars for comfort, too risky, i just stick to the bike paths now. Looks like you guys were moving along pretty good. How long did the 20 miles take? I'd think about an hour or so with the powerpod? Without it, probley more like 2 hours?
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    Does not look like a real lot of cars on those roads, that's a good thing. I won't ride the roads anymore here in Rhode Island or Florida, just too many cars for comfort, too risky, i just stick to the bike paths now. Looks like you guys were moving along pretty good. How long did the 20 miles take? I'd think about an hour or so with the powerpod? Without it, probley more like 2 hours?
    Not too many cars on the country roads here (especially on a Sunday when everyone is safely at church). I will never venture on to any public road without some assistance power....I am just not strong enough, no way would I ever risk it.

Because 20 miles is well within the range of the Power Pod (I have gone 42 miles with Krige at an average of 17mph), then the average speed does not really mean much. I think we averaged around 16.5 - but if we wanted to we could have simply wacked the Pods on full blast and done the 20 miles at 24mph+ average. That is as fast as my handcycle goes without getting unstable while I am peddaling..... ..but whats the point in that???

Also, we were using the 48v option - Patrick is just running the 36v battery. He has the additional 12v, but is getting used to the 36v first.....

Power Pod Electric

Congratulations Patrick on you new power pod.
    I posted about about a year ago about converting a freedomryder STI with a hub motor and lithium battery. I sent photos to Mike at freedomryder and talked with Mark about our difficulty with the modification.

Now its a year later and Mark has the power pod and freedonryder has partnered with bionx. That is progress. Good to hear that others are experiencing the fun of going electric. We are the pioneers and I'm sure that there will be many new options in the future.

I've probably put on close to 5,000 miles this past year. My battery from Golden Motors has worn out. I'm in the process of looking for a replacement.
    Lithium batteries can be expensive. Just found out that the american distributor for Golden Motors is out of business. It's frustrating with an unreliable battery.

I have a new FRH-1 that I'm using without the motor. Mike told me that it can be upgraded with bionx at some later time if I want. The bionx add-on cost is about $2,400. Too much for my current budget.

A friend is thinking that the razor electric scooter could be modified as an add-on to a handcycle. Does anyone think that this could work? Too many projects and not enough time.

Mark B, keep those video's coming. Very inspirational.

My best.
    In the dime stores and bus stations, people talk of situations, read books, repeat quotations, draw conclusions on the wall. ......Bob Dylan

Thanks Nirvana, it is a great addition and has brought the excitment of riding back again. After 36 years h/c I've seen all the comings and goings of handcycles and their manufactuers. I think Jannsen had a bike out, other than that, I had mine built by a special effects guy and a bike frame maker. I still have it hanging on my wall and hope to donate it to a museum someday.

I bought one of Freedom Ryders first bikes when they were still made in texas, '81 I think it was and one of Chris Petersons first Top End not to long after, I think it was called an X or XL. back then there wasn't any handcycle specific parts such as handle, cranks or seats. It all had to be modified from a a/b bike. My first seat was literally a plastic kitchen chair. My leg troughs were curtain hangers with drain spouts for the troughs. My feet were splayed out and the front wheel was way in front of my feet. the bike must have been 8 feet long. But it sure was a cruiser.

The powerpod is at least 1/2 the cost of the 2,400.oo bionix. The 250Ht imo looks a little under powered. I think the 350Ht with a 48vlt setup($2900.00) woud be scukuum and match the powerpod which is at least 1/2 less than the 250HT. the nice thing about the pp is it can be quickly unmounted and the person could ride/race; hook it back on and cruise home. So many could really use it. From the hi quad rookie to the top pros for training. As Scott said, ya get the feel that you are working hard, it just feels like you are doing it with a tailwind. I like Marks setup in that a person uses a throttle for accereation while the Bionix uses 25%,50 up to 300%stages. With the throttle the speed and usage of the battery is up to the rider.

My wife mentioned that I'm a lot like Wilbur Wright. Rode/built one of the first, if not the first, custom handbuilt handcycle ever and am now riding a highly custom production bike with one of the first power assist built. We've gone a long way from bikes built with plastic kitchen chairs and curtain/rain gutter leg troughs to bikes like the Top End Force X. It's been a good ride all these years, I trust I have many more left thanks to the power pod
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 12-20-2011 at 03:35 AM.