Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 62

Thread: Mark's Roadracepowerpod road proof

  1. #1

    Mark's Roadracepowerpod road proof

    I bought one of Mark B's . handcycle power assists and rode with it today for the first time.

    I must say it was one of the most enjoyable rides I've had in a long time. I could go as fast as I wanted with the desired effort I chose at the flip of a button.

    My shoulders are gone bigtime and I would always wonder if the ride I was riding would be my last. I've been handcycling for 36 years now and want to get to at least 40. With this attachment, I think I just may be able to do that. The shoulders felt so good after riding today, I may go out again tomorrow; something I haven't been able to do in a long time.

    If I decided to cruise a bit, I didn't lose momentum like normal; for the hills, I just opened up the throttle a bit and flew up 'em. I still cranked hard but the stress wasn't there.

    I can't say enough about today and my new addition to the bike. It was easy to assemble, was cost effective, easy to attach/detach from the bike.

    Great job Mark! I wholeheartedly recommend this for anyone who wants to train intellengently, cruise with ease or go inbetween. For me this is a Godsend.

  2. #2
    Senior Member patd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Boise, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    823
    Thanks for the review, sounds great!

    Pat

  3. #3
    Good post Patrick. I've talked to Mark a bit about his product and hope to have one in my arsenal in the not to distant future for the same reasons as yourself, but also after watching his videos I got excited about being able to tackle the beautiful mountains here in California during the summer months. I am hoping to get one before corporate buys him out and then offers us less quality for mo money!

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I bought one of Mark B's . handcycle power assists and rode with it today for the first time.

    I must say it was one of the most enjoyable rides I've had in a long time. I could go as fast as I wanted with the desired effort I chose at the flip of a button.

    My shoulders are gone bigtime and I would always wonder if the ride I was riding would be my last. I've been handcycling for 36 years now and want to get to at least 40. With this attachment, I think I just may be able to do that. The shoulders felt so good after riding today, I may go out again tomorrow; something I haven't been able to do in a long time.

    If I decided to cruise a bit, I didn't lose momentum like normal; for the hills, I just opened up the throttle a bit and flew up 'em. I still cranked hard but the stress wasn't there.

    I can't say enough about today and my new addition to the bike. It was easy to assemble, was cost effective, easy to attach/detach from the bike.

    Great job Mark! I wholeheartedly recommend this for anyone who wants to train intellengently, cruise with ease or go inbetween. For me this is a Godsend.

    pat i must have missed the thread showing hisinvention can you direct me to it thanks
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

  5. #5
    good deal sounds good. I may get one for New England eventually. In Florida it's pretty flat although I can imagine on the real hot days it would help out.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

  6. #6
    Here ya go Todd:http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...light=markb701

    Curt with the powerpod you could be riding with the ab's at 20+mph with little or no effort at all.

  7. #7
    Senior Member tooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,555
    Curt, PatM, I'd be interested in your opinion of the FRH-1X. I like how it's fully-integrated. Wish it would have came out last year.. I wouldn't even need a car.

    http://freedomryder.com/FRH-1X.htm

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    Curt, PatM, I'd be interested in your opinion of the FRH-1X. I like how it's fully-integrated. Wish it would have came out last year.. I wouldn't even need a car.

    http://freedomryder.com/FRH-1X.htm
    It's a great idea for sure. Now that I've ridden with a power driven handcycle, I can see the advantages. You still get a great workout without the added stress of keeping the momentum up.

    I can see the powerpod being used for high level racers in that a person could use a heart rate monitor and cadence counter combined with the intended speed from the power assist to train the heart and higher cadence.

    When the unit is off, I hardly noticed a difference in resistance from the added weight. It was seemless.

    The FRH Bionix is really good. Bionix is a very high level power assist that uses Lithium batteries. I'd go for the 350HT 48 volt setup. I think this will really put the FRH into another category. It is definitly not a race bike by anymeans but sure is a great bike for anything else. One of the best h/c's I've owned with the least maintenance issues needed.

    A guy from up North had a Top End sent here with the Bionix setup. It was really a clean setup. Lasher is also offering one as an option.

    Mark's powerpod is good in that it is a 1/3 of the cost and can be easily detached from the bike. If I get to the point of another bike, I will definitly have a power assist of somekind to it.

    I spoke with Mike Lofgren at Freedom Ryder. He said any Freedom Ryder can be retrofitted with the Bionix.

    I think a person could do both, use the h/c with the Bionix and if needed, change out to a regular front wheel.

    These new options for powerassists is going to put a lot of people into a better lifestyle because they'll be able to maximize what little they have left and be able to ride with ab's/family at a good cruising speed for much longer distances.

  9. #9
    I just had a new offroad handcycle built with a BionX kit. It's a gamechanger, though it is a bit spendy. The thing that sets it apart from others is that it monitors your input & gives you a specified amount of assist with no need for a throttle (though one can be added as an option - I have one). So... imagine pedaling at your normal cadance with either 25%, 50%, 100%, or 300% assist... it makes a huge difference and still maintains the health benefits of pedaling.

    www.bionx.ca

    Not trying to hijack the thread... just offering feedback... I love Mark's idea though.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Here ya go Todd:http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...light=markb701

    Curt with the powerpod you could be riding with the ab's at 20+mph with little or no effort at all.

    thanks pat this looks cool
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Similar Threads

  1. On the road to getting back on the road.
    By melikeconan in forum Life
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-16-2004, 04:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •