Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flying with Surelocks

I would suggest leaving the wheels on as well... The possibility of a wheel being destroyed by handlers is essentially zero... I would think they are much more likely to destroy/damage your frame with the wheels off rather than with them on.... Years ago the airlines were much more likely to screw up equipment, but have gotten much better since ADA came about... I've had frames cracked, footrests broken off, scissor locks destroyed etc but none of this has occurred in the last 15 years or so.... Before that it was fairly common... FWIW I fly a dozen or so times a year(x 30+ years)....

Echo earlier comments: Find something else to worry about....

Agreed. I've been treated quite well by the airlines. From what I can see, they clearly get some kind of tutorial or seminar in handling people with disabilities and their equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by BriRi View Post
    I would suggest leaving the wheels on as well... The possibility of a wheel being destroyed by handlers is essentially zero... I would think they are much more likely to destroy/damage your frame with the wheels off rather than with them on.... Years ago the airlines were much more likely to screw up equipment, but have gotten much better since ADA came about... I've had frames cracked, footrests broken off, scissor locks destroyed etc but none of this has occurred in the last 15 years or so.... Before that it was fairly common... FWIW I fly a dozen or so times a year(x 30+ years)....

LH bent my wheel axle last summer, but that's the only time I've had wheel damage. It's so true that airline wheelchair handling (and wheelchair passenger handling) has improved dramatically in the last decade.

With hub locks I'd be worried about the pistons and mounts getting trashed without the wheels on. (D's pistons aren't quite as robust as the Surelocks, by my estimation, either.)

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

The price of freedom is vigilance. I do a slight passive-aggressive-psycho with a smile bit when explaining the wheelchair to the airlines before boarding.

Works well so far. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    LH bent my wheel axle last summer, but that's the only time I've had wheel damage. It's so true that airline wheelchair handling (and wheelchair passenger handling) has improved dramatically in the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by radio_buddha View Post
    The price of freedom is vigilance. I do a slight passive-aggressive-psycho with a smile bit when explaining the wheelchair to the airlines before boarding.

Works well so far. :-)
    I do a female/flirtatious/"help me, Obi-wan" thing where I say "Please take good care of it" as the baggage handler bears it away down the stairs...

Quote Originally Posted by BriRi View Post

Do not agree...I flew and when I got off the plane my one wheel was bent and the other was cracked. While I still leave the wheels on...they can and do get damaged. If it gives peace of mind to remove them...by all means do.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliecoach View Post
    Do not agree...I flew and when I got off the plane my one wheel was bent and the other was cracked. While I still leave the wheels on...they can and do get damaged. If it gives peace of mind to remove them...by all means do.
    this is true. i fly (mostly international) several times a year, and while maybe (i cant name any) some things have improved in the us, the changes are minimal. it doesnt cost you anything but a little time and effort to stow your wheels or secure your entire chair, but its worth it. i was told the day i bought my first chair to never remove my wheels and hand them over to baggage handlers, as they would just toss them in the hold and stack bags on them. so i never did - but a friend of mine flew to a regatta in italy, and by the time they retrieved his spinergys from the maelstrum of the hold, he had two severed spokes and a bent hub. made his 8 day trip to italy a delight.

the situation has not improved measurably since. i have only ever met 1 baggage handler who was familiar with quick-release wheel axels, and my most recent flights were 2 weeks ago (when, yet again, the handler tried to fold my rigid chair by pressing inwards on each wheel). but, the reality is that you can just do a few small things that will make you life easier. and then you can find something else to worry about!

FOR SURE!!! Always be sure to snag your cushions off the chair, but to be honest, taking the wheels off as well, usually only leads to bags being stacked onto them in the end.

I don't have brakes on my chair, but if you have D's locks, disk brakes, or pin drive brakes, i'd highly recommend they are dis-engaged once you lead into the aisle chair.

Reason being, while some airlines are good about making sure it's well secured while in flight ALOT are'nt...If you leave the brakes unlocked, you'll find that in most cases, the baggage personal will take some extra time to make sure it's stowed well...with other luggage moving around/falling on it, it's alot easier on your chair to be able to "give" with the luggage, versus the brakes/wheels fighting against it. This is especially true on long international flights!

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliecoach View Post
    I've had the same thing happen on more than a few occasions...It comes from a airline requirement of having the chairs load the plane last and be taken off first. Not often but on occasion, they will not double check the door clearances and end up closing the hydraulics on your wheels. I've lost several pairs of Spinergy's like that.
    Last edited by Otter; 12-20-2011 at 11:55 PM.

Here is a pic of my "packaged" chair from my last flight in September. I think I snapped this with my phone when I was boarding a connecting flight from Seattle to Denver...

Attachment 43144

On my trip to ISS in March, I threaded the lashing strap through a piece of tubular foam (similar to the piece that holds my QR axle inside the camber plug) to prevent my bundled wheels from rolling away whenver I set them down. As the pic shows, I forgot that little detail on this trip.

While I'm waiting to take off out of Denver for the flight home, the pilot makes an overhead announcement:
    "Flight attendants, please instruct the ground crew to retrieve the wheelchair wheels by the wing."
    I about sh*t! Thinking back, they must have rolled quite a distance for the pilot to see them from the cockpit. Fortunately, both wheels and frame made it to my final destination intact. My "Spinergy Clip", however, was broken.