Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flying with Surelocks

Flying with Surelocks

I recently got Surelocks and will be flying soon. What's the best way to ensure they will be safe from the nefarious, negligent clutches of baggage handlers? An old thread mentions taping the handle in the "off" position and telling them you have no brakes. Is this my best bet?

Any good or bad surelock/ D's locks flying stories welcome! I'm pretty nervous about this.

yes, i think that was me - first flight i took with my new ds locks i made the huge mistake of showing the guy at the gate how to operate them, and he rolled m¥ chair off to the cargo hold and engaged the brakes. at the other side, the buy unloading my chair couldnt understand why it woudnt roll when there was no obvious brake over the tyres, so he forced it until the handle loosened to the point of being useless and left the piston unengaged. i was stuck with no brakes at all until we found tools. on the return trip i took a roll of black vinyl tape in my carry on bag and i taped the handle in the unengaged position after i transferred out. at the other end, i ripped the tape off, engaged the locks and transferred.

if youre concerned about the chair possibly moving around during the flight, they always use plenty of chocks and wedges under anything with wheels anyway, so in fact brakes are unnecessary

Do you have a box frame? You can put old school brakes on the lower level and not inform them of the surelock.

Quote Originally Posted by radio_buddha View Post
    Do you have a box frame? You can put old school brakes on the lower level and not inform them of the surelock.
    No, z-frame. But that got me thinking, I could temporarily relocate the surelock handle to the cross-bar under my seat. That way I can reach it when I need to but they won't be able to find it. Overkill?

Quote Originally Posted by Dynahmite View Post
    I recently got Surelocks and will be flying soon. What's the best way to ensure they will be safe from the nefarious, negligent clutches of baggage handlers? An old thread mentions taping the handle in the "off" position and telling them you have no brakes. Is this my best bet?

Any good or bad surelock/ D's locks flying stories welcome! I'm pretty nervous about this.
    I've flown many times. I bring my wheels on board (stowed in either one of the forward closets or in the overhead) and my chair goes down below. I've never had a problem and can't imagine how they could mess them up -- not that it's impossible to damage something, but this is not a particularly vulnerable component. The Surelocks are pretty robust.

Conclusion: Find something else to worry about.

p.s. How do you like the Surelocks? Post pics if you can.

Why do you take your wheels off?

Quote Originally Posted by BriRi View Post
    Why do you take your wheels off?
    Back when I was using X-Core wheels, my chair fell off the off-loader coming out of stowage and the wheel shattered into pieces. Since then I take my wheels on board. When I was using a folder (ZR1) I would request to bring that on the plane as well, though that request was hit or miss. My current chair (ZR2) has a fixed back, so it wouldn't fit on the plane.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Conclusion: Find something else to worry about.
    Good to hear. I am just so used to dealing with stupid chair damage on flights, that I felt like, of course they will find some way to screw this up. I'm glad you feel it is unlikely. I think the SINGLE thing I miss about having a folding chair was how they could just pop it in the cabin closet...saved me heartache! When you take your wheels off, do they just carry the frame off then?

I'm really happy with the Surelocks! I'll get some pics and post them later.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynahmite View Post
    When you take your wheels off, do they just carry the frame off then?
    Yes. At the door to the plane I transfer over to the aisle chair. Either I or my wife then removes my wheels and cushions to bring onto the plane and the frame is taken and stowed in the hold.

My chair has D's Locks. When I leave the chair with the baggage handler, I always leave the locks disengaged. No one has every figured out how to engage them, and it has never occurred to me to worry about them (now, of course, they'll be busted on the very next flight, just because I said that).

So I second finding something else to worry about :-).