Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Walking at Work

  1. #1

    Walking at Work

    Hey all!

    So now that my shoulder is finally doing better, we had started doing walking with a walker/paralell bars. Then, I hurt my toe, so we stopped for a bit. Next week we will start walking again. So, here's my question. How many of you can, walk at work? I am finding it very hard to sit all day without standing or anything. I applied for a standing chair and it was denied. It was appealed and denied again. The thing is, I haven't been on my feet walking in a long time with a walker, so I'm pretty anxious. My boss and supervisor will be coming to a PT session tto see how it all works and what not and what they'll have to do to help (they're extremely accommodating). I'm just worried about being fatigued and how it will work having my chair and walker at work and that kind of thing. Oh, and falling in front of everyone at work, that too.

    Any tips??
    Last edited by wheeliegirl2010; 12-18-2011 at 11:19 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    3,864
    if you fall at work lets hope your very accommodating boss will catch you
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

  3. #3
    ..........
    Last edited by wheeliegirl2010; 12-18-2011 at 01:02 AM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    3,864
    lol!!! sry i just couldnt help myself!!! i'm glad you're better tho
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

  5. #5
    Hey Jessica,

    Your boss and supervisor actually coming to PT with you? That's ... unique. And yes, very accommodating.

    I don't walk at work, although I'm slowly finding out that now that I'm no longer a frequent flyer in the OR (it's been almost six months since my last surgery), I seem to be regaining some useful function in my right leg. So maybe crutches or a walker are in my future after all.

    Given what you've written about the attitudes of your boss and supervisor, I wouldn't worry too much about how they will react if everything doesn't go off without a hitch. I managed to throw myself backwards out of my wheelchair at work last week, and while it gave some people around me a jolt (with my boss actually admitting he'd been nodding off and I shook him awake), we all had a chuckle about it afterwards, and it was no big deal.

    If you're planning on walking only indoors, though, and getting to and from work in your chair, I'd advise having two walkers: one for work and one for home/therapy, otherwise it will be a huge hassle. I used to have a standing frame at school years ago in much the same way.

    Of course, I don'r know what kind of funding options you have ...

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Saranoya View Post
    Hey Jessica,

    Your boss and supervisor actually coming to PT with you? That's ... unique. And yes, very accommodating.

    I don't walk at work, although I'm slowly finding out that now that I'm no longer a frequent flyer in the OR (it's been almost six months since my last surgery), I seem to be regaining some useful function in my right leg. So maybe crutches or a walker are in my future after all.

    Given what you've written about the attitudes of your boss and supervisor, I wouldn't worry too much about how they will react if everything doesn't go off without a hitch. I managed to throw myself backwards out of my wheelchair at work last week, and while it gave some people around me a jolt (with my boss actually admitting he'd been nodding off and I shook him awake), we all had a chuckle about it afterwards, and it was no big deal.

    If you're planning on walking only indoors, though, and getting to and from work in your chair, I'd advise having two walkers: one for work and one for home/therapy, otherwise it will be a huge hassle. I used to have a standing frame at school years ago in much the same way.

    Of course, I don'r know what kind of funding options you have ...
    True. I can't walk at home as well live in a four level split so work and therapy (they already have one there). We are hoping that between my insurance and my parents insurance we will get the kind of walker I need covered in full.

    Yes, I felt awkward asking them to come to PT, but they both seem really open to the whole thing. I would hope if they didn't want to, they would say that, I told my boss that I didn't want to feel like he had to and he said it was no problem and even suggested my supervisor come so that if he's away, I can still walk.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Saranoya View Post
    Your boss and supervisor actually coming to PT with you? That's ... unique. And yes, very accommodating.
    That is pretty unusual.

    Quote Originally Posted by wheeliegirl2010 View Post
    I'm just worried about being fatigued and how it will work having my chair and walker at work and that kind of thing. Oh, and falling in front of everyone at work, that too.

    Any tips??

    If I were falling with whatever mobility aid I was using, I wouldn't use it at work. I'd go up one.

    Fatigue will be one of those things you figure out as you go along. If you find you are too fatigued, will you be able to go home and get a wheelchair, or take a break, or leave early?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    That is pretty unusual.




    If I were falling with whatever mobility aid I was using, I wouldn't use it at work. I'd go up one.

    Fatigue will be one of those things you figure out as you go along. If you find you are too fatigued, will you be able to go home and get a wheelchair, or take a break, or leave early?

    I will probably still have my chair at work, like take the bus to work in my chair and leave the walker there kind of thing. Falling hasn't happen, I'm just not 100% comfortable walking yet, so PT needs to know I'l be safe kind of thing, you know?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by wheeliegirl2010 View Post
    I will probably still have my chair at work, like take the bus to work in my chair and leave the walker there kind of thing. Falling hasn't happen, I'm just not 100% comfortable walking yet, so PT needs to know I'l be safe kind of thing, you know?
    Yup, understood.

    Sounds like you've got it covered. Have options, recognize that you don't know yet how things are going to go over the course of a whole day. It sounds like you've got a supportive workplace.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    Yup, understood.

    Sounds like you've got it covered. Have options, recognize that you don't know yet how things are going to go over the course of a whole day. It sounds like you've got a supportive workplace.

    I sure do. The other thing about it is, I work in a call centre so, the only time I have to walk anywhere is to the bathroom or for lunch.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-29-2011, 09:26 AM
  2. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-28-2006, 02:14 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-12-2002, 01:02 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-14-2002, 11:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •