Thread: Injury fails to slow Londoner/Health-care services are credited for his recovery from a serious spinal injury

Injury fails to slow Londoner/Health-care services are credited for his recovery from a serious spinal injury

Injury fails to slow Londoner
    Health-care services are credited for his recovery from a serious spinal injury.

By PETER GEIGEN-MILLER, Free Press Reporter

Dave Feenstra hates to think how his recovery from a devastating spinal cord injury might have progressed without the medical care available in London.

Feenstra suffered the paralysing neck injury in October 1995 when his all-terrain vehicle flipped in a field near Thamesford.

The London resident went instantly from an active life that included coaching hockey to a hospital bed, his head held in place by circular "halo" strapped to his shoulders.

Doctors gave him a five- per-cent chance of walking again and 10-per-cent odds of being able to sit in a wheelchair without being strapped in.

Today, it's hard to tell Feenstra suffered such a serious injury. His recovery has been nothing short of amazing, he says.

Feenstra estimates he is back to about 90 per cent of his former strength. He can no longer run or skate, ruling out a return to coaching, but he's able to walk without difficulty.

He travels throughout Southwestern Ontario for his sales job with a marble company.

Why is Feenstra up and walking while others with spinal cord injuries are not?

"There's no real answer to that," he says. "I guess I was the fortunate one." But he gives a lot of credit to the medical care he received in the city, first at St. Joseph's Health Centre, then in rehabilitation programs at Parkwood Hospital.

Having this care available locally was a great boost to his state of mind during his recovery, he says.

"It meant my family could be with me, my friends could be with me. There was never a time when I was on my own if I didn't want to be on my own."

If London didn't have Parkwood, he would have been shipped to Toronto for treatment, he says.

"There's no way my family or friends would have been able to stay in Toronto all the time to support me. I would have been in a deep depression, and who knows where I would have been."

He feels so strongly about supporting medical care in the city that he is a volunteer in this year's Dream of a Lifetime Lottery.

The prize is a home valued at $660,000 at 118 Birchmount St. in Westmount. The 2,900-square-foot dwelling will be open for public viewing noon tomorrow, launch day for the lottery.

The home is grand prize in the $100-a-ticket lottery, which supports London hospitals.

Previous story: Health unit alerts MDs over ailment
    Next story: Resident ordered to keep the peace

http://www.canoe.ca/LondonNews/lf.lf-03-19-0043.html

[This message was edited by Max on 03-19-03 at 01:03 PM.]

Well atleast the guy got it right when asked how come he is walking and others are not. Nice not to see the usual "its because i wanted to walk so i tried hard crap"

Why is Feenstra up and walking while others with spinal cord injuries are not?

"There's no real answer to that," he says. "I guess I was the fortunate one."

LIVE IT UP AND LIVE IT LARGE!!!!

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/ubb/graemlins/bannana.gif