Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need suggestions for ironing board

Need suggestions for ironing board

Hello Peeps! As I was ironing my husbands work shirts today I got really uncomfortable and started having some pain in my back. I use a standard ironing board with the cross legs. As I am againg and feeling the aches and pains of SCI more, i am wondering what others use for this task? I would like to be able to roll under the ironing board rather than sit from the side angle. Any feedback or suggestions would be great!
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Google fold out ironing board. Here is one that pops up http://ironaway.com/

I made my own many moons ago for much less money, but much more ugly.
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

My husband bought one from Home Depot that is built in. It folds up flat to the wall with hinges on the bottom. You just let it down and roll right under it. No legs, etc. You can put it at any height you like. It is wonderful.

I have one like t he folding one, it hooks on the closet door, and folds down. It came from target I think.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Like Sjean, I remedied this problem, by purchasing an ironing board that attatches to the top of a door and then folds down. I just roll under the ironing board, it works great!

Towel on my kitchen table (not a fluffy one). Works just as well. Picked that one up from my mother when she lost her leg due to diabetes and couldn't manouvre the ironing board anymore to get it out/put it away.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I use a little one that I sit on my lap. It doesn't work very well - clothes get tangled on chair parts and there isn't quite the room I need but I've never been able to think of a better solution. I like the idea of a built-in one but I live in an apartment and they aren't going to let me dig into the walls ;-)

I thought about the door hanging fold down ironing board but I am looking for something to move around in different rooms. Sometimes I iron in front of the TV and sometimes in the dining room while my husband is cooking. I'm thinking about taking the actual ironing board off of the legs and having my husband make me some legs under it that I can roll under. Thank you guys for the suggestions.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

You could clamp the board to some type of hospital table, or stretched across 2 stools.
    C-6/7 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Kulea View Post
    You could clamp the board to some type of hospital table, or stretched across 2 stools.
    That's a very interesting idea. My over-the-bed table is pretty much a desk now, with my laptop on it and my phone, a mug of pens, post-its. It's too full to move it around now but if I got rid of a lot of that stuff, I could put my ironing board on it and for the first time have it a little easier while ironing. You've given me something to think about, thank you :-)