Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Felt like I was being electrocuted twice?

Felt like I was being electrocuted twice?

Have had two very wierd sensations the last couple of nights. I was lying on my back and all of a sudden from my neck down it felt like someone has electrocuted me. It lasted for about a couple of seconds and when it happened my legs moved. This has happened for 2 nights now. Has anyone had this happened before?

Thanks,

Deb

[This message was edited by Debbie7 on 03-19-03 at 06:50 PM.]

Debbie, I think that you need to get your neck scanned (CT or MRI) and make sure that you don't have something that is compressing your spinal cord. Were you changing the position of your neck when this happened? Wise.

Dr. Young,

I wasn't moving my neck at the time of the sensation. Should I schedule an MRI now or wait to see if it happens again?

Thanks,

Deb

i think that happened to me a few times. it felt like a shock through my whole body. the same way it felt when i was hurt.

Debbie, especially if you have not had an MRI in the past year, you should schedule one right away. Generally, if you compress your spinal cord, it will produce an electrical shock that will go down your spinal cord. The question that needs to be answered is whether you have a narrowing of your spinal canal or the presence of disc that may be transiently compressing your cord enough to cause this shock. It is worrisome.

When DA described the same thing to me, I was quite concerned and urged him to get an MRI as well. Perhaps I am getting paranoid but I have known several people who have gotten worse after having described such "electrical shocks" occur.

When you go to the doctor, you should describe the position and the circumstances under which you felt these shocks. It is possible that your neck will not show any compression of the cord in certain positions but the compression will show up when you are lying down, for example. Since most MRI's and CT-scans are done in the prone position, it should be observable on a regular scan.

The question is what to do if you have evidence of instability, a disc, or a narrow canal that may be pressing on your cord. This is something that only an experienced neurosurgeon or an orthopedic surgeon would be able to decide.

Wise.

Let the nurse echo the doc....Deb... please call tomorrow...

Mary

...and she lived happily ever after...

Thanks Dr. Young, as much as I hate to go to the doctor - I will take your advice.

Thank you,

Deb

yes dr young i have some compression, but the neurosurgeon said nothing wrong with living with compression.

Yes ma'am. I sent Dr. Maggio my post along with Dr. Young's response and asked him to let me know when I should come in.

Deb

Before I was injured I had this sensation in my neck a few times where the pain/electrical current was so strong it nearly knocked me off my feet. When you have a spinal cord injury you become a very difficult patient to diagnose.

PN