Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: A fundrising video from the Reeve Foundation

Quote Originally Posted by cheesecake View Post
    The Super Bowl commercial was done by Christopher Reeve as a private citizen--as an actor. It was not part of the Foundation because I think it was made before there was a merger of Foundations.
    OK, but my point is that the superball commercial was powerful!
    CDRF should constantly send out messages like that which drive more investment in the field everywhere around the world.

When that commercial was out got in TV also here in Italy many times just as a news, it had a tremendous impact.
    BTW that was several years before my SCI.

What a great idea Christopher Reeve had!

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

I don't watch the Fox channel, so I had no idea what this "Glee" stuff was until I did a search. http://www.fox.com/glee/

I admit sometimes I'm a mushroom.

GLEE is a musical comedy about a group of eager and ambitious students who strive to outshine their singing competition to win Nationals while navigating the cruel halls of McKinley High.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 12-19-2011 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carbar View Post
    I couldn't bear to watch it all - as others have said it is so cringe-makingly awful - it really doesn't need to be out in the public domain as a CDRF video if it was only meant for the new director as a goofy welcome. Put it in the archive labelled 'useless waste of money'.
    Well said Carbar! It is also my thought

Quote Originally Posted by NowhereMan View Post
    Is paralysis some f---ing joke to those people? What the hell did I just watch?
    I'm not too sure either!!
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    OK, but my point is that the superball commercial was powerful!
    CDRF should constantly send out messages like that which drive more investment in the field everywhere around the world.

When that commercial was out got in TV also here in Italy many times just as a news, it had a tremendous impact.
    BTW that was several years before my SCI.

What a great idea Christopher Reeve had!

Paolo
    Well Paolo, sorry to disappoint you but the super bowl commercial was not Chris Reeve's but the company that produced it for an investment firm or something. It was extremly controversial at the time and had a ton of people who hated it. I personally thought it was cutting edge. Ask Sue Pedndelton--she did an op-ed against Laura Hershey on what was then Can-Do the precessor to CareCure.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Quote Originally Posted by cheesecake View Post
    Well Paolo, sorry to disappoint you but the super bowl commercial was not Chris Reeve's but the company that produced it for an investment firm or something. It was extremly controversial at the time and had a ton of people who hated it. I personally thought it was cutting edge. Ask Sue Pedndelton--she did an op-ed against Laura Hershey on what was then Can-Do the precessor to CareCure.
    Ok,
    whoever had the idea and whoever worked to get this commercial on TV during the superball did a great job IMO.
    Then if we want to analize the meanings of images, colors, music & words used in the video we can for sure find questionable points, so I am not surprised there were people that hated it.
    That's routine in communication, you just want to make sure you understand how people interpret words, images etc... to make sure the message you wanted to send got to destination correctly.
    I think we want to make a cure happen ASAP, so messages should be trimmed to make this happen.

Now here things start to get complicated as we should get into "how do we make a cure happen sooner?" and "what's wrong with what is being done at the moment?"....so I would say to leave like that..

I will ask Sue.

... and don't worry about desappointing me like this, that was actually useful for me

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Lighten up people. I've never met Peter Kiernan, but was told he quit his job when Chris Reeve's wife died to keep the organization going and has put millions of his own money into it. He was apparantly one of the Reeve's closest friends.
    I personally love the Foundation and its dual mission of care and cure. There is not one monolithic voice in the community and I don't agree with everything they post, but appreciate that they try. And it appears to me to cast a negative light on a tribute video, prepared for a dinner is mean spirited. They always get points for trying and they get resaerchers to share-- no small feat!
    I've always loved the Nuveen ad and whoever said it was controversial at the time is correct. Reeve knew exactly what he was doing--he had a robust sense of humor and would have loved the glee tribute. We ought to channel our collective anger at scientists who promise us a cure at every meeting and never deliver.
    I tried W2W, but they give voice to the liars. And they insult me because I don't buy it to their one size fits all dogma

@hopefulquad.

You must know who has produced the cure for humanity. Do tell!
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 12-20-2011 at 02:55 PM.

@hopefulquad: Lighten up! We shouldn't call people names.

We do however get a charge out of SCI storytellers from time to time. One has to keep their robust sense of humor like you say and try not to be insulted when researchers get their points across and their feat has been accomplished. Some of it is odd.

October 17, 2009
    Robert G. Grossman, MD

Dr. Grossman will present Clinical Trials of New Therapies for Spinal Cord Injury. His presentation will discuss therapies being tested in clinical trials and approaches being taken to insure the validity of the trials. In the past decade, Dr. Grossman has organized a network of hospitals in North America to test new therapies for spinal cord injury, funded by Christopher Reeve Foundation. (2004 NACTN Clinical Trials Initiated) ok...?

Dr. Grossman’s second talk will be The Assassination of John F. Kennedy - an Eyewitness Account - an account of the events in Trauma Room 1 at Parkland Hospital, a virtual tour of Dealey Plaza, and the sixth floor of the Texas Book Depository. Dr. Grossman and Dr. Kemp Clark were the two neurosurgeons at Parkland Hospital who examined President Kennedy in Trauma Room #1 at Parkland Hospital.

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/grossman.htm (The Phantom of Trauma Room One): the Neurosurgeon that 40 years later makes claims that he examined both JFK and Oswald but 15 eye witnesses testify otherwise. (Dr. Grossman loves Fox news and his 2003 PR team). Jackie was wearing a white dress and JFK was on a gurney instead of in a casket in the hall being wisked to the airport and then offers to change his story about the head wound. Nobody places him at the scene! A publicity published article gone bad. ok...?

Pretty funny TALL tales! Storytellers in the SCI field that are given a voice ... I would have loved to have heard both of these whoppers but Grossman hasn't ever been invited to speak at W2W. This is just another piece of the history (sometimes re-written) in all it's fame and glory...surely not a one size fits all dogma, but sometimes this is the stuff that happens when people get carried away and inject themselves into publicity and do speaking circuits. I mean, you can't make this stuff up! As of today, he's still out there telling these colorful stories to engage people in the disability culture after all these years (like SCI isn't bad enough already)...

I disagree that scientists should be collectively attacked, but perhaps some of them should stick to speaking engagements that are more based on scientific facts or useful information that can help SCI rather than old school entertainment. Some just got sidetracked many years ago, so we move on and listen to presentations of the best and brightest and ask them to give us all they've got rather than languish in the absurd.

http://www.bnasurg.com/annual-sympos...e-speakers.php
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 12-21-2011 at 02:09 PM.

I actually don't like the current CDRF especially the cheerful 'how to live with paralysis' stuff and the 'best dad on wheels' nonesense etc etc

There are some good scientists associated with it though but are they a part of CDRF or reall independent and receiving funding help?